Not able to get any output with ArabTeX 3

Faraz Hussain

Aug 6, 2003, 12:26:10 PM8/6/03
I'm trying to use ArabTex for the first time.
Here's my source.

********************************
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{arabtex}

\begin{document}

\seturdu
\novocalize
\transfalse
\arabtrue
\ArabTeX \seturdu <urdU>

\end{document}

*******************************

I'm not sure if I've used \ArabTeX and seturdu correctly.
I'm getting the following message:

**********************************

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
(t1.tex
LaTeX2e <1999/12/01> patch level 1
Babel <v3.6Z> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, i
talian, portuges, russian, spanish, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 1999/09/10 v1.4a Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) (arabtex.sty
(aconfig.sty)
(acmd.sty) (afonts.sty (afonts2.sty)) (ascan.sty
(ArabTeX) scanner for code `arabtex' installed.
(ArabTeX) input encoding set to ArabTeX conventions.) (aparse.sty)
(awrite.sty
(xarbsymb.sty) (arabskel.sty) (xarbskel.sty) (aboxes.sty)
(arabtoks.sty)
(arabchrs.sty)) (aligs.sty) (aoutput.sty) (abidir.sty) (atrans.sty
(ArabTeX) ZDMG transliteration.) (alatex.sty) (abjad.sty) (apatch.sty)
Arabic processor `ArabTeX' [20010917 patch level 3.10- (17.09.2001)]
(ArabTeX) ... now be patient ... ) (t1.aux) (Uxnsh.fd)kpathsea:
Running mktextfm xnsh14
mktextfm: Running mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input xnsh14
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3.1)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf xnsh14
! I can't find file `xnsh14'.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input xnsh14

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input xnsh14

Transcript written on mfput.log.
mktextfm: `mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input xnsh14'
failed.

kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font U/xnsh/m/n/10=xnsh14 at 14.40002pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
file not f
ound.
<to be read again>
relax
l.10 \ArabTeX \setarab <
urdU>
?
(ArabTeX) Arabic font \U/xnsh/m/n/10 selected.
! Arithmetic overflow.
<recently read> \font

l.10 \ArabTeX \setarab <urdU>

?
. > [1] (t1.aux)

************************

The only output I'm getting is ArabTeX with Tex in proper \Tex style.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, please tell me any helpful sites regarding arabtex and urdu
typesetting.

regards,
Faraz.

Robin Fairbairns

Aug 6, 2003, 6:47:07 PM8/6/03
farazh...@rediffmail.com (Faraz Hussain) writes:
>I'm trying to use ArabTex for the first time.
>Here's my source.
>
>********************************
>\documentclass{article}
>\usepackage{arabtex}
>
>\begin{document}
>
>\seturdu
>\novocalize
>\transfalse
>\arabtrue
>\ArabTeX \seturdu <urdU>
>
>\end{document}
>
>*******************************
>
>I'm not sure if I've used \ArabTeX and seturdu correctly.

neither am i -- i know no arabic or urdu, and i've never used arabtex.

however...

>I'm getting the following message:
>

>[...]

>Running mktextfm xnsh14
>mktextfm: Running mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input xnsh14

this means that the xnsh14 font (part of the arabtex distribution) has
not been installed.

>The only output I'm getting is ArabTeX with Tex in proper \Tex style.
>
>What am I doing wrong?

you need to install the fonts from the package, in the right place,
and to ensure tex knows where they are. did you install the system in
the first place? -- if not, try looking at

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=instpackages+wherefiles

(it's not terribly good on font installation, but it does give clues.
i'm working on the font installation version...)
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

Faraz Hussain

Aug 7, 2003, 6:02:38 AM8/7/03
I had used the instructions given on the following url:
http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~yeungda/languages/latex/
They're meant for MikTeX whereas I'm using Latex.
Is it possible that that's what making the difference?

I found some files by the name "xnsh" but i'm not sure what they do.
I'll try and find something on the link that you gave me.

regards,
Faraz Hussain.
Mumbai, India.

Faraz Hussain

Aug 8, 2003, 3:38:11 AM8/8/03
Well, I can't figure out the correct place for the fonts.
THis is the page I used to help in ArabTeX installation:
http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~yeungda/languages/latex/
And the instructions here are specific to MikTeX.

Also, I couldnt run the following command which the above
site asks me to:
""Run "initexmf -u" a final time if you haven't already.""
I looked it up and apparantly its some kind of MikTeX configuration
command.
Can you tell me its equivalent for (La)TeX?

I'm sure now that my sample tex file(in the first mshg in the thread)
is correct, and can be laTeXed without error, producing the desired
output.(because I mailed it to David Leung and it worked for him).
So, surely, the problem is that my installation files are not
in their correct place.(Well, Robin, you told me that a couple of days
ago, but I've taken some time and convinced myself that that's the
problem).

The ArabTeX homepage(http://leb.net/arabtex/) is clearly not helpful,
and I did everything that David Leong
(http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~yeungda/languages/latex/
asked me to do.

Any more suggestions?

regards,
Faraz Hussain,
Mumbai, India.

Patrick TJ McPhee

Aug 8, 2003, 9:53:21 AM8/8/03
In article <36d5cc39.03080...@posting.google.com>,
Faraz Hussain <farazh...@rediffmail.com> wrote:

% Well, I can't figure out the correct place for the fonts.
% THis is the page I used to help in ArabTeX installation:
% http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~yeungda/languages/latex/
% And the instructions here are specific to MikTeX.

% Also, I couldnt run the following command which the above
% site asks me to:
% ""Run "initexmf -u" a final time if you haven't already.""
% I looked it up and apparantly its some kind of MikTeX configuration
% command.
% Can you tell me its equivalent for (La)TeX?

MikTeX is a TeX distribution, which includes laTeX. The distinction
you're trying to draw is between MikTeX and teTeX or fpTeX, or some
other distribution.

It would be helpful to know which other distribution, but try

texhash
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York Canada