TeX Hour: Thu 28 Apr: 6:30pm UK time: Why don't ConTeXt and LaTeX join forces?

Jonathan Fine

Apr 27, 2022, 12:56:39 PM4/27/22
Hi

Suggested agenda for tomorrow's TeX Hour. Your ideas are very welcome, and will be prioritised. Please bring your contributions, as I've been busy with other things .

1. Your ideas. Anything TeX or typography or design on accessibility related. Even HTML and CSS.

2. Why are ConTeXt and LaTeX two different typesetting systems instead of joining forces? This is https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/641299/.

TeX Hour: Thursday 21 April, 6:30 to 7:30pm UK time.
Zoom URL: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/78551255396?pwd=cHdJN0pTTXRlRCtSd1lCTHpuWmNIUT09
Note: Both the UK and USA are on Summer Time. UK Time Now: https://time.is/UK.

Item (2) was on the agenda last week, but we didn't get to it. Instead we spent the whole hour on using git to transfer files (without any version control).
Recording of last week: https://youtu.be/hMcWpdZK8iQ

wishing you happy TeXing

Jonathan

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Apr 27, 2022, 4:36:25 PM4/27/22
In article <876c3c2e-be5a-4d4e...@googlegroups.com>,
Jonathan Fine <jfin...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> Suggested agenda for tomorrow's TeX Hour. Your ideas are very welcome,
> and will be prioritised. Please bring your contributions, as I've been
> busy with other things .
>
> 1. Your ideas. Anything TeX or typography or design on accessibility
> related. Even HTML and CSS.
>
> 2. Why are ConTeXt and LaTeX two different typesetting systems instead
> of joining forces? This is
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/641299/.

The VMS operating system, on which much of LaTeX was developed, is
moving to the x86 architecture. I don't think that VSI, VMS Software
Incorporated, which now develops VMS (rights bought from HPE which was
spun off from HP; HP had them from purchasing Compaq about 21 years ago
and Compaq had them from purchasing DEC for 9 billion about 25 years ago
(OK, a quarter of a century ago, but compare that to the 44 billion for
Twitter)), will do anything regarding (La)TeX.

I'm still using a LaTeX distribution from a DEC freeware CD which was
put together by Ralf Gärtner back in the day. I've updated it manually
from time to time but have done suprisingly little in that regard in the
last 25 years; it just works well for what I use LaTeX for.

When VMS is fully available on x86 (running on bare metal, native as
opposed to cross-compilers, etc.), I would like to do two things:

o Get LaTeX (and related stuff) running

o Modernize my LaTeX distribution and figure out a way to get it
updated, ideally automatically, either regularly or when something
newer is needed.

It probably isn't that common that a new combination of OS and hardware
comes along. Is there any step-by-step guide on how to get the first
item accomplished?

Regarding the second point, presumably the hardware- and OS-specific
executables are a negligible amount (in terms of number of files and
disk space required) of the entire distribution, so hopefully a
"standard" distribution should be pretty easy to set up.

Ideally, I would like to have traditional LaTeX, pdflatex, luatex or
whatever, and whatever other variants there are all working.

Of course, I also need BibTeX, dvi drivers, and so on.

Dr Eberhard Lisse

Apr 28, 2022, 4:50:47 AM4/28/22
Why would one want to run VMS on new x86 hardware?

I grew up on VMS myself and might have the odd x86 in a rack to play
with it, provided one could get the compilers working :-)-O

el

On 27/04/2022 22:36, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> Jonathan Fine <jfin...@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
--
To email me replace 'nospam' with 'el'

Jonathan Fine

Apr 28, 2022, 9:06:18 AM4/28/22
On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 9:50:47 AM UTC+1, Dr Eberhard Lisse wrote:
> Why would one want to run VMS on new x86 hardware?
>
> I grew up on VMS myself and might have the odd x86 in a rack

I'm up for discussing VMS and La/TeX on x86 at tonight's TeX Hour. As Phillip points out, much of LaTeX was developed on VMS while Leslie Lamport was at DEC.

--
Jonathan

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Apr 28, 2022, 1:31:36 PM4/28/22
In article <d76c3cb7-4f54-7a3a...@lisse.NA>, Dr Eberhard
Lisse <nos...@lisse.NA> writes:

> Why would one want to run VMS on new x86 hardware?

Because it is not viable in the long term to run it on a non-commodity
chip. That was arguably the reason why Alpha was axed in favour of
Itanium, but Itanium never became the industry-standard chip which some
had hoped it would.

> I grew up on VMS myself and might have the odd x86 in a rack to play
> with it, provided one could get the compilers working :-)-O

Have at it!