How to write m³ in a letter (tried with dinbrief, siunitx)?

Philipp Klaus Krause

Nov 28, 2021, 1:04:54 PM11/28/21
When I write "m³", the '³' is missing in the pdf.
So I wanted to try with siunitx, but I get an error when I try to use
that with dinbrief.

Example source file:

\documentclass{dinbrief}
\usepackage{siunitx}

\begin{document}

\begin{letter} {Adresse}

\opening{Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren!}

\closing{Mit freundlichen Grüßen}

\end{letter}
\end{document}

Gives me the following error (tried with both xelatex and pdflatex):

! Undefined control sequence.
\set@color ...\@pdfcolorstack push{\current@color
}\aftergroup \reset@color
\@outputpage ...t {\vfil \color@hbox \normalcolor
\hb@xt@ \textwidth
{\@theh...

\@opcol ...lumn \@outputdblcol \else \@outputpage
\fi \global
\@mparbottom \...
<output> ...specialoutput \else \@makecol \@opcol
\@startcolumn
\@whilesw \i...

\@getpen ...edpenalty \or \@highpenalty \else \@M
\fi
\@no@pgbk ...2]->\ifvmode \penalty #1\@getpen {#2}
\else \@bsphack
\vadjust {...
<to be read again>
\@@par
\endletter ...stopletter \@@par \pagebreak \@@par
\gdef \@yourmail {}
\gdef ...

\end ...ook {env/#1/end}}\csname end#1\endcsname
\@checkend
{#1}\expandafte...
l.12 \end{letter}

Stéphane CARPENTIER

Nov 28, 2021, 1:59:28 PM11/28/21
Hi

Le 28-11-2021, Philipp Klaus Krause <p...@spth.de> a écrit :
> When I write "m³", the '³' is missing in the pdf.
> So I wanted to try with siunitx, but I get an error when I try to use
> that with dinbrief.
>
> Example source file:
>
> \documentclass{dinbrief}
> \usepackage{siunitx}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \begin{letter} {Adresse}
>
> \opening{Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren!}
>
> \closing{Mit freundlichen Grüßen}
>
> \end{letter}
> \end{document}

I don't see your m² in your document, so it's normal it's missing in the
pdf.

To answer your question, here's a real ECM which do what you want.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{siunitx}
\begin{document}

\si{\metre\squared}

\end{document}

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

jfh

Nov 28, 2021, 3:39:11 PM11/28/21
Or to get m^3 with dinbrief use the standard LaTeX m$^3$ for m in roman type, $m^3$ for m in italics.

\documentclass{dinbrief}

\begin{document}

\begin{letter} {Adresse}

\opening{Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren!}

m$^3$

Ulrike Fischer

Nov 28, 2021, 4:13:42 PM11/28/21
Am Sun, 28 Nov 2021 19:04:50 +0100 schrieb Philipp Klaus Krause:

> When I write "mł", the 'ł' is missing in the pdf.
> So I wanted to try with siunitx, but I get an error when I try to use
> that with dinbrief.
>
> Example source file:
>
> \documentclass{dinbrief}
>
> Gives me the following error (tried with both xelatex and pdflatex):
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> \set@color ...\@pdfcolorstack push{\current@color

dinbrief is no longer compatible with a current LaTeX as it
redefines \document and \enddocument in a way that break various
hooks (beside other \AtBeginDocument no longer works).

Use another class.

--
Ulrike Fischer
https://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

Philipp Klaus Krause

Nov 28, 2021, 4:46:30 PM11/28/21
Am 28.11.21 um 19:59 schrieb Stéphane CARPENTIER:

> I don't see your m² in your document, so it's normal it's missing in the
> pdf.

That was a small example to reproduce the conflict between dinbrief and
siunitx.

Peter Flynn

Nov 28, 2021, 5:06:34 PM11/28/21
On 28/11/2021 20:39, jfh wrote:
> On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 7:59:28 AM UTC+13, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
>> Hi
>> Le 28-11-2021, Philipp Klaus Krause <p...@spth.de> a écrit :
>>> When I write "m³", the '³' is missing in the pdf.
[...]
> Or to get m^3 with dinbrief use the standard LaTeX m$^3$ for m in roman type, $m^3$ for m in italics.

For superscripted digits in normal text (ie NOT in mathematics),
use (eg) m\textsuperscript3

Peter

vincent...@orange.fr

Jan 14, 2022, 5:11:20 PM1/14/22
Ulrike Fischer <ne...@nililand.de> writes:

> Am Sun, 28 Nov 2021 19:04:50 +0100 schrieb Philipp Klaus Krause:
>
>> When I write "m³", the '³' is missing in the pdf.
>> So I wanted to try with siunitx, but I get an error when I try to use
>> that with dinbrief.
>>
>> Example source file:
>>
>> \documentclass{dinbrief}
>>
>> Gives me the following error (tried with both xelatex and pdflatex):
>>
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> \set@color ...\@pdfcolorstack push{\current@color
>
> dinbrief is no longer compatible with a current LaTeX as it
> redefines \document and \enddocument in a way that break various
> hooks (beside other \AtBeginDocument no longer works).
>
> Use another class.

lettre (from the Observatoire de Genève) is an alternative, it can be
used to write letters in German.

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jan 15, 2022, 5:15:08 AM1/15/22
Koma-Script's scrlttr2 is the de-facto standard these days

el