removing italics from symbol in math mode

Johan Lans

Mar 5, 2007, 12:26:24 PM3/5/07
In order to display a vector in ams-latex, I want to make symbols in
math mode bold and non-italic. I achieve boldness with \boldsymbol, how
do i get rid of the italics?
/johan

Lars Madsen

Mar 5, 2007, 12:29:21 PM3/5/07

\mathbf{v} ?

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book: http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/ (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl

Johan Lans

Mar 5, 2007, 12:30:54 PM3/5/07
Lars Madsen skrev:

> Johan Lans wrote:
>> In order to display a vector in ams-latex, I want to make symbols in
>> math mode bold and non-italic. I achieve boldness with \boldsymbol,
>> how do i get rid of the italics?
>> /johan
>
> \mathbf{v} ?

It doesnt work for symbols, for example \theta .

/Johan

Johan Lans

Mar 5, 2007, 12:31:50 PM3/5/07
Lars Madsen skrev:

> Johan Lans wrote:
>> In order to display a vector in ams-latex, I want to make symbols in
>> math mode bold and non-italic. I achieve boldness with \boldsymbol,
>> how do i get rid of the italics?
>> /johan
>
> \mathbf{v} ?

Johan Lans

Mar 5, 2007, 12:32:46 PM3/5/07
Lars Madsen skrev:

> Johan Lans wrote:
>> In order to display a vector in ams-latex, I want to make symbols in
>> math mode bold and non-italic. I achieve boldness with \boldsymbol,
>> how do i get rid of the italics?
>> /johan
>
> \mathbf{v} ?

Maurizio Loreti

Mar 5, 2007, 12:47:39 PM3/5/07
Lars Madsen <dal...@RTFSIGNATUREimf.au.dk> writes:

> Johan Lans wrote:
> > In order to display a vector in ams-latex, I want to make symbols in
> > math mode bold and non-italic. I achieve boldness with \boldsymbol,
> > how do i get rid of the italics?
> > /johan
>
> \mathbf{v} ?

no --- mathbf is for bold text. you may want to read the section
"Setting bold Greek letters in LaTeX" of the FAQ list, under the URL
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=boldgreek .

--
| Maurizio Loreti -- ROT13:ybe...@cq.vasa.vg | (@_
| Un. of Padova, Dept. of Physics, Padova, Italy | //\
| http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html | V_/_

Maurizio Loreti

Mar 5, 2007, 12:50:31 PM3/5/07
Maurizio Loreti <m...@foobar.it> writes:

> no --- mathbf is for bold text. you may want to read the section

"you" refers to the OP, not to mr. madsen (that has the faq list url
in his .sig, btw :-)

Johan Lans

Mar 5, 2007, 12:58:16 PM3/5/07
Lars Madsen skrev:

> Johan Lans wrote:
>> In order to display a vector in ams-latex, I want to make symbols in
>> math mode bold and non-italic. I achieve boldness with \boldsymbol,
>> how do i get rid of the italics?
>> /johan
>
> \mathbf{v} ?

Johan Lans

Mar 5, 2007, 1:02:19 PM3/5/07
Very sorry about the repeated postings, I had som problems with the
smtp-server and didn't think the messages went away...

/Johan

Johan Lans

Mar 5, 2007, 1:09:17 PM3/5/07
Neither \bm or \boldsymbol, which the faq refers to, removes the
italics, in the way \textbf does...

/Johan

Joseph Wright

Mar 5, 2007, 2:16:07 PM3/5/07

A shot in the dark, but perhaps you need something like the upgreek
package,then use \boldsymbol. On my system, you can see a difference
(not great, but better than nothing).

Joseph Wright

Johan Lans

Mar 5, 2007, 3:05:44 PM3/5/07
Joseph Wright skrev:

Nope, it still looks italic on my system...

/Johan

Alan Munn

Mar 5, 2007, 3:32:21 PM3/5/07
In article <934be$45ec7826$50d8bcf9$44...@news.chello.se>,
Johan Lans <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> > A shot in the dark, but perhaps you need something like the upgreek
> > package,then use \boldsymbol. On my system, you can see a difference
> > (not great, but better than nothing).
> >
> > Joseph Wright
>
> Nope, it still looks italic on my system...
>
> /Johan

Are you sure you did the right thing? The following produces a regular
and an upright bold theta for me.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath,upgreek}
\begin{document}
$\theta \boldsymbol\uptheta$
\end{document}

Alan

Joseph Wright

Mar 5, 2007, 3:52:44 PM3/5/07
On Mar 5, 8:32 pm, Alan Munn <a...@msu.edu> wrote:
> In article <934be$45ec7826$50d8bcf9$4...@news.chello.se>,

That's also what I tried (and got to work). I'm using MikTeX 2.5 on
WinXP.

Joseph Wright

Nathan Sanders

Mar 5, 2007, 3:20:09 PM3/5/07
In article <934be$45ec7826$50d8bcf9$44...@news.chello.se>,
Johan Lans <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> Joseph Wright skrev:

> > A shot in the dark, but perhaps you need something like the upgreek
> > package,then use \boldsymbol. On my system, you can see a difference
> > (not great, but better than nothing).
>

> Nope, it still looks italic on my system...

The upgreek package doesn't automatically make upright Greek letters;
you have to specify them with \upalpha, \upbeta, etc. The following
works for me:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{upgreek,bm}
\begin{document}

$\boldsymbol{\upalpha}\neq\boldsymbol{\alpha}\neq\alpha\neq\upalpha$

\end{document}

Nathan

--
Nathan Sanders
Linguistics Program

Johan Lans

Mar 6, 2007, 11:29:27 AM3/6/07
Alan Munn skrev:
Ok, this works for my greek letters, but i also have a couple of \imath
and \jmath , how do i get them in upright position?

/Johan

Alan Munn

Mar 6, 2007, 4:01:39 PM3/6/07
In article <ec3b3$45ed96f5$50d8bcf9$11...@news.chello.se>,
Johan Lans <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

Just use \textbf{\i} and \textbf{\j}

Alan

Johan Lans

Mar 6, 2007, 4:10:31 PM3/6/07
Alan Munn skrev:
> In article <ec3b3$45ed96f5$50d8bcf9$11...@news.chello.se>,
> Johan Lans <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Alan Munn skrev:

>>> Are you sure you did the right thing? The following produces a regular
>>> and an upright bold theta for me.
>>>
>>> \documentclass{article}
>>> \usepackage{amsmath,upgreek}
>>> \begin{document}
>>> $\theta \boldsymbol\uptheta$
>>> \end{document}
>>>
>>> Alan
>> Ok, this works for my greek letters, but i also have a couple of \imath
>> and \jmath , how do i get them in upright position?
>
> Just use \textbf{\i} and \textbf{\j}
>
> Alan
The problem is i want't the i and j with hats, this is the line:
\mathbf{\hat{r}} &= \boldsymbol{\hat{\imath}} \cos{\theta} +
\mbox{\boldmath$\hat{\jmath}$} \sin{\theta}\\
, so it's the \boldsymbol{\hat{\imath}} I want upright... there doesn't
seem to be an \upjmath in upgreek....

/Johan

Alan Munn

Mar 6, 2007, 4:17:54 PM3/6/07
In article <72c04$45edd8d7$50d8bcf9$13...@news.chello.se>,
Johan Lans <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

You'll need to do this outside of math mode. So \textbf{\^\i} and
\textbf{\^\j} should work.

Alan

Johan Lans

Mar 6, 2007, 4:44:14 PM3/6/07
Well, that worked perfectly. Thanks a lot everyone..

/Johan

Robin Fairbairns

Mar 6, 2007, 5:10:57 PM3/6/07
Johan Lans <nos...@nospam.com> writes:
>Alan Munn skrev:

>>> Nope, it still looks italic on my system...
>>
>> Are you sure you did the right thing? The following produces a regular
>> and an upright bold theta for me.
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{amsmath,upgreek}
>> \begin{document}
>> $\theta \boldsymbol\uptheta$
>> \end{document}
>
>Ok, this works for my greek letters, but i also have a couple of \imath
>and \jmath , how do i get them in upright position?

you're using the wrong font, aren't you? knuth provides italic maths
fonts, but not upright fonts.

so either you need to acquire a tex-oriented maths font that does
upright (iirc, mathtime meets that requirement) or you need to switch
systems.

none of these "upright" packages is likely to work for the whole job,
simply because the glyphs aren't available. so you're going to
struggle all the way.

good luck.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

gual...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2007, 3:21:44 AM3/7/07

I think an alternative in this case might be to use the packages
"eulervm" and "bm", if what the OP wants is to have _all_ math stuff
in an upright font. Maybe this should be accompanied by the use of a
different text font, like palatino (I remember Walter Schmidt's site
has advice about suitable text-math font combinations).
Gual