Frustrating WinEdt Setting

434 views
Skip to first unread message

Tim Teatro

unread,
Mar 4, 2004, 6:25:59 PM3/4/04
to
Hi.

For those who use WinEdt, please let me know if you know a way around
this:

It drives me nuts how when i'm typing something, and winedt knows i'm typing
a paragraph, and if i want a single line break (not starting a new
paragraph), it won't let me. It will place the text back up in a line. This
is especially frustrating when i am typing commands such as \item, \vspace,
etc. I have found ways to get around it, but i have to tell it evry command
i want it to not do this for. I just want it to stop period, but i do not
want to shut off Wrapping completely. I just want it to obey my breaks.

THanks


Ian Konen

unread,
Mar 4, 2004, 7:00:13 PM3/4/04
to

What you want may be impossible unless you switch to "soft-wrapping".
Winedt word wraps by inserting actual newline characters into your ascii
file at appropriate locations. There is quite a lengthy discussion in
the WinEdt help as to why you should want to do it this way, but suffice
to say it is justified. The problem this creates is that when you
change a paragraph (say you delete a word in the middle of a line) and
Winedt is re-evaluating where to line-break it has to treat these
newline characters as moveable. It can't know for any given newline
character whether it was there because of a previous word-wrap
evaluation or because you hit the return key. But like TeX, it treats 2
newlines in a row as permanent, and it can look for certain things (like
specific LaTeX/TeX commands) after a newline to treat the newline as
permanent. But if you want it to never remove a newline, you basically
have to set it so it never inserts a newline either. You actually have
two options:

1. Turn off wrapping entirely, and you will have to hit return
everytime you fill a line in the editor. This shouldn't affect LaTeX,
but after a number of re-edits with hard coded newlines, you'll find
that your paragraphs look terribly ragged while viewed in the editor.
If that doesn't bother you than so be it.

2. Switch to soft-wrapping, which is more like how word-processors
work. The data is saved without any inserted newlines, but WinEdt will
DISPLAY with ariticial line-breaking. If you open the file later in
notepad, for example, you will see that your paragraphs are really long
single lines. I'm not sure what the disadvantages are in this mode...it
may be that some programs have problems with really long single lines (I
don't think TeX does, though).

Either way, I would read up on the help in WinEdt and decide what you're
getting yourself into.

Tim Teatro

unread,
Mar 4, 2004, 7:17:25 PM3/4/04
to
Do you know of any macro packages that will preprogram it to watch out for
all TeX commands? I don't notice this problem so much when i'm writing LaTeX
commands, but its awful in TeX!

I noticed a package for TeX on the winedt.com site, but I think it is
antiquated in newer versions. I had install problems in 5.3/5.4.

Thanks a million for your replay by the way. I realy apreciate it.

"Ian Konen" <usenet.2...@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
news:c28fql$7fbi$1...@netnews.upenn.edu...

Ian Konen

unread,
Mar 4, 2004, 9:42:06 PM3/4/04
to
Tim Teatro wrote:
> Do you know of any macro packages that will preprogram it to watch out for
> all TeX commands? I don't notice this problem so much when i'm writing LaTeX
> commands, but its awful in TeX!

Can't say I do. I have to admit there's a lot of WinEdt's features I
haven't figured out, and I've never tried plain TeX myself. I don't
know if you also tried the WinEdt mailing list but you might have more
luck there since this is such a specific WinEdt issue. I haven't
resubscribed since I moved and changed email, but I've gotten a lot of
help there in the past.

>
> I noticed a package for TeX on the winedt.com site, but I think it is
> antiquated in newer versions. I had install problems in 5.3/5.4.
>
> Thanks a million for your replay by the way. I realy apreciate it.

No problem.

Jim Battista

unread,
Mar 4, 2004, 11:37:15 PM3/4/04
to
"Tim Teatro" <tim_t...@rogers.com> wrote in
news:bWO1c.138324$Qg7....@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

> I have found ways to get
> around it, but i have to tell it evry command i want it to not do
> this for. I just want it to stop period, but i do not want to shut
> off Wrapping completely. I just want it to obey my breaks.

Does it work to just start the new line with a space? That's a
standard don't-screw-with-this signal for winedt.

--
Jim Battista
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Nancy

unread,
Mar 5, 2004, 3:35:07 PM3/5/04
to
> For those who use WinEdt <snip> I just want it to obey my breaks.

I make it play nice by putting a '%' at the end of the line that should break.

Nancy

Dan Luecking

unread,
Mar 5, 2004, 5:04:01 PM3/5/04
to
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:00:13 -0500, Ian Konen
<usenet.2...@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

>Tim Teatro wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> For those who use WinEdt, please let me know if you know a way around
>> this:
>>
>> It drives me nuts how when i'm typing something, and winedt knows i'm typing
>> a paragraph, and if i want a single line break (not starting a new
>> paragraph), it won't let me.

[snip]


> You actually have
>two options:
>
>1. Turn off wrapping entirely, and you will have to hit return
>everytime you fill a line in the editor. This shouldn't affect LaTeX,
>but after a number of re-edits with hard coded newlines, you'll find
>that your paragraphs look terribly ragged while viewed in the editor.
>If that doesn't bother you than so be it.
>
>2. Switch to soft-wrapping, which is more like how word-processors
>work. The data is saved without any inserted newlines, but WinEdt will
>DISPLAY with ariticial line-breaking. If you open the file later in
>notepad, for example, you will see that your paragraphs are really long
>single lines. I'm not sure what the disadvantages are in this mode...it
>may be that some programs have problems with really long single lines (I
>don't think TeX does, though).

I find this to be crazy behavior.

IMHO every editor should permit a mode of wrapping where actually eols
are placed into the buffer when you hit the right edge of the window or
some predetermined column. These should stay put, and if deleted they
should stay deleted. To make a paragraph look decent, a reformat command
should exist that can be run occasionally. My editors (for TeX or
otherwise) have always had more than one wrapping mode and I have
always settled on this one. Now, I would never choose an editor that
didn't allow it.

Other modes are OK in some circumstances, but there should exist a
command to fix the current eols as permanent. There are just times when
you want things to stay put on screen and no amount of machine
intelligence is going to be able to predict all those times.


Dan

--
Dan Luecking Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701
To reply by email, change Look-In-Sig to luecking

Jesper Harder

unread,
Mar 5, 2004, 5:12:19 PM3/5/04
to
Ian Konen <usenet.2...@spamgourmet.com> writes:

> 2. Switch to soft-wrapping, which is more like how word-processors
> work. The data is saved without any inserted newlines, but WinEdt
> will DISPLAY with ariticial line-breaking. If you open the file
> later in notepad, for example, you will see that your paragraphs
> are really long single lines. I'm not sure what the disadvantages
> are in this mode...it may be that some programs have problems with
> really long single lines

One very big disadvantage is that TeX reports errors with line
numbers. If you use very long lines you'll have a much harder time
figuring out where the error actually occured.

> (I don't think TeX does, though).

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall that TeX does have line
length limitations.

RS

unread,
Mar 5, 2004, 5:50:49 PM3/5/04
to
On 05.03.2004 00:25, Tim Teatro wrote:
> I just want it to stop period, but i do not want to shut off Wrapping
> completely. I just want it to obey my breaks.

Turn off paragraph wrapping ("Wrap Mode") but keep "Line Wrapping"
enabled, which is a different thing. Thus, a newline will be inserted if
you reach the right margin, and those newlines inserted by yourself will
not be undone.

You can set this globally for document modes in "Options | Preferences |
Defaults", or in "Document | Document Settings" for the current file.

Regards,
Robert.

Tom Micevski

unread,
Mar 6, 2004, 12:24:35 AM3/6/04
to

maybe i can now look at winedt again --- i really hated how it would stuff around with my linebreaks.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages