Latex table woes: table causes blank page creation

Sivaram Neelakantan

Mar 15, 2022, 10:24:07 AM3/15/22
Ignoring the little birdie who told me not to, I downloaded the
following template because it looked nice and started writing my
article. This is in 2 col mode

https://www.latextemplates.com/template/stylish-article

Now, I have a wide table that is definitely more wide than 1 col and
when I plug the code for the table, I get blank pages before the
table. The table is rendered OK though not exactly where I wanted.
How do I use \textwidth to make the table span the 2 col for the above
article cls I used? Images are spanned fine but the table is messing
things up.

sivaram

Peter Flynn

Mar 15, 2022, 11:57:15 AM3/15/22
On 15/03/2022 14:23, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
> Ignoring the little birdie who told me not to, I downloaded the
> following template because it looked nice and started writing my
> article. This is in 2 col mode

The built-in twocolumn is really not the way to go these days, IMHO. The
multicol package offers much more, including the ability to switch out
of multiple columns back to single column without breaking the page.

> Now, I have a wide table that is definitely more wide than 1 col and
> when I plug the code for the table, I get blank pages before the
> table. The table is rendered OK though not exactly where I wanted.
> How do I use \textwidth to make the table span the 2 col for the above
> article cls I used?

Have you tried using \begin{table*}...\end{table*} (along the same lines
as figure*)?

Peter

Axel Berger

Mar 15, 2022, 12:26:41 PM3/15/22
Peter Flynn wrote:
> The multicol package offers much more,

Actually I have found the column breaking in multicolumn not to be quite
up to the usual LaTeX standard -- at least in my then use case of short
articles with single-column headlines.

A look at the "cuted" package from the sttools may be worth a look.

--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069