Exercises and Solutions Environments

Carlos Felippa

May 6, 2022, 1:49:04 PM5/6/22
Hi all,
I am converting some of my old Course Notes to LaTeX using the book class. The original Notes were written in 1984-85 with PlainTeX,
before LaTeX existed, with some help from Don Knuth's students
(I was at Stanford at the time). Need to redefine my Exercises and Solutions environments, which appear at the end of each Chapter, to produce something like this (assume Chapter # is 4)

(new page)

Homework Exercises for Chapter 4

EXERCISE 4.1. [ A:10]. Prove that

II+II=IV (E4.1)
X-IX=I (E4.2)

EXERCISE 4.2. [ A:50]. Give a counterexample to Fermat's conjecture.

The stuff in brackets identifies the exercise type (e.g. A for analytical)
and the difficulty in a scale of 10 (trivial) to 50 (very hard). Overall title is bold, EXERCISE is sans-serif bold. Equation numbers are labeled as shown; likewise for Solutions, which has a similar configuration.

I expect to need 4 user-defined LaTeX environments, to be nested as

\begin{chapterexercises)
\begin{exercise}
\end{exercise}
\begin{exercise}
\end{exercise}
\end{chapterexercises)

\begin{chaptersolutions)
\begin{solution}
\end{solution}
\begin{solution}
\end{solution}
\end{chaptersolutions)

Is there any package that provides these kinds of environments and
properly identifies them in the TOC?

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

May 9, 2022, 8:35:51 AM5/9/22
In article <5c412269-7940-41be...@googlegroups.com>,
car...@colorado.edu says...

> Need to redefine my Exercises and Solutions environments, which
> appear at the end of each Chapter

The Springer book class svmono.cls
(https://www.springer.com/gp/computer-science/lncs/conference-
proceedings-guidelines, there is a derivative on
https://github.com/JannikArndt/SVMonoEnhanced) has exercise and solution
environments that you may be able to pilfer.