Animated trees

Merciadri Luca

Jun 18, 2010, 5:23:43 PM6/18/10

Alan Munn

Jun 18, 2010, 5:32:28 PM6/18/10
In article <87mxusn...@merciadriluca-station.MERCIADRILUCA>,
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Which package could I use (if any) if I want to draw animated trees
> (`tree' being taken in the mathematical/CS sense, evidently)?

Rather than defining 'tree', maybe you could define 'animated'?

Do you want them to dance? :-)

Alan

Merciadri Luca

Jun 19, 2010, 8:21:02 AM6/19/10

Herbert Voss

Jun 19, 2010, 11:09:03 AM6/19/10
Am 19.06.2010 14:21, schrieb Merciadri Luca:

> I know that this is not trivial, but if I can draw a tree, at each
> step, it should be possible to put all these different trees on an
> animated image, just as a GIF works.

something like this?
http://archiv.dante.de/~herbert/PSTricks/GraphikDemo.pdf

Could also be done with trees
http://mirror.ctan.org/graphics/pstricks/contrib/pst-tree/

Herbert

Alan Munn

Jun 19, 2010, 1:30:22 PM6/19/10
In article <878w6bt...@merciadriluca-station.MERCIADRILUCA>,

Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Alan Munn <am...@msu.edu> writes:
>
> > In article <87mxusn...@merciadriluca-station.MERCIADRILUCA>,
> > Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:
> >

> >> Which package could I use (if any) if I want to draw animated trees
> >> (`tree' being taken in the mathematical/CS sense, evidently)?
> >
> > Rather than defining 'tree', maybe you could define 'animated'?
> Okay.
>
> > Do you want them to dance? :-)
> Well, this is not mandatory.

Good to know. I've left out the dancing code in the example below. :-)

> I would to show how a particular tree is
> modified because of a tree's algorithm's execution (such as Dijsktra,
> Kruskal, Prim-Jarnìk, etc.). I could achieve this by putting the
> different steps, but it would place a burden on the document's
> content: if they are, say, 10 steps, I would not like to have a serie
> of images showing the 10 steps, but, better, one image which is
> animated, showing e.g. the first node having a different value than in
> the previous frame, etc.

Well as far as I know, the multiple pages approach is the only way to
animate things of this sort in LaTeX. (And beamer, in particular,
provides the mechanism to do this.)

Here's an example similar to the one Herb posted, but using TikZ. It's
based on an idea by Kjell Magne Fauske, namely to assign styles to
levels of the tree, and gradually make them visible on each successive
slide.

\documentclass{beamer}
\usepackage{tikz}
\usetikzlibrary{trees}
\begin{document}

\begin{frame}

\onslide<1->{
\tikzstyle{L1} = [color=black]
\tikzstyle{L2} = [opacity=0]
\tikzstyle{L3} = [opacity=0]
\tikzstyle{L4} = [opacity=0]}
\only<2->{\tikzstyle{L2} = [color=red]}
\only<3->{\tikzstyle{L3} = [color=green!50!black]}

\begin{tikzpicture}
\node {root}
[edge from parent fork down]
child[style=L2] {node {left}}
child[style=L2] {node {right}
child[style=L3] {node {child}}
child[style=L3] {node {child}}
};
\end{tikzpicture}

\end{frame}
\end{document}

Alan

Herbert Voss

Jun 20, 2010, 2:58:20 AM6/20/10
Am 19.06.2010 19:30, schrieb Alan Munn:

> Here's an example similar to the one Herb posted, but using TikZ. It's
> based on an idea by Kjell Magne Fauske, namely to assign styles to
> levels of the tree, and gradually make them visible on each successive
> slide.

the same example with pst-tree

\documentclass{beamer}
\usepackage{pst-tree}
\begin{document}

\begin{frame}
\pstree[edge=\ncangles,angleA=-90,angleB=90,armA=7mm,
nodesep=2mm,linecolor=red]{\Tr{root}}{\pause\red
\Tr{left}
\pstree[linecolor=green]{\Tr{right}}{\pause\green
\Tr{child}
\Tr{child}
}
}
\end{frame}

\end{document}

Herbert

Pavel Striz

Jun 20, 2010, 8:04:25 AM6/20/10
On Jun 18, 11:23 pm, Merciadri Luca <Luca.Mercia...@student.ulg.ac.be>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Which package could I use (if any) if I want to draw animated trees
> (`tree' being taken in the mathematical/CS sense, evidently)?
>
> Thanks.
> - --
> Merciadri Luca
> Seehttp://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/
> - --

Good afternoon fellow TeXists,

You may like to try quite new animate package created by Alexander
Grahn. It's already a part of TeX Live 2009+. Moreover, it's
possible to download it from ctan.org directly,
http://ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/animate/.

In the documentation of this package (http://ftp.cvut.cz/tex-archive/
macros/latex/contrib/animate/animate.pdf) there are four quite
astonishing and descriptive examples plus inspiring timeline parameter
settings for complex animations. As it is based on XObject, you can
reuse such an object in your animation without worries about space as
many times as you like. You only need to prepare those objects to be
animated in advance and set the biggest bouding box for all of them.

It's a piece of cake in Metapost, if you know this trick (an idea
coming from http://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/CTAN/macros/latex/contrib/animate/files/exp.mp):
path bounds;
bounds:=bbox currentpicture;

and well, of course, you shall set it for all the objects/parts/
layers:
setbounds currentpicture to bounds;
clip currentpicture to bounds;
(We could also replace first three lines in the final MPS {let's say
PostScript created in Metapost} files...)

I've seen a similar trick in TikZ (\useasboudingbox) and in PSTricks.

I enclose an animated example based on Denis Roegel's article Kissing
circles, http://tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb26-1/tb82roegel.pdf.

Adobe Reader 8.0+ to open (Are there some other PDF previewers
working?):
http://striz9.fame.utb.cz/comp.text.tex/apo.pdf /<1 MB/

If you would play with PDF -> raster conversions, let's say "convert -
resize 600x600 -delay 200 -loop 0 step_*.pdf apo.gif" (ImageMagick)
you are getting:
http://striz9.fame.utb.cz/comp.text.tex/apo.gif /<1 MB/

All the best,

Pavel Stříž

Robin Fairbairns

Jun 20, 2010, 9:32:08 AM6/20/10
Pavel Striz <st...@fame.utb.cz> writes:

> You may like to try quite new animate package created by Alexander
> Grahn. It's already a part of TeX Live 2009+. Moreover, it's
> possible to download it from ctan.org directly,

a rather extreme interpretation of "quite new" -- animate has been on
ctan since march 2007.

> http://mirror.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/animate/

please
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

Merciadri Luca

Jun 20, 2010, 7:02:11 AM6/20/10

Merciadri Luca

Jun 20, 2010, 12:15:15 PM6/20/10

Dan Luecking

Jun 21, 2010, 12:09:44 PM6/21/10
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:15:15 +0200, Merciadri Luca
<Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

>Thanks all. I'll try what suits my needs best. @Robin: note that
>http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/software/tex/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/animate/
>gives a 404 error (don't know why).

The "tex-archive/" portion of

http://mirror.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/animate/

should have been left out. The URL "http://mirror.ctan.org"
already returns the relevant directory (which is most often
_not_ "tex-archive/").

Thus the following worked for me each time (twice) I tried it:

http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/animate/

Dan
To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking

Merciadri Luca

Jun 21, 2010, 5:15:39 PM6/21/10

Dan Luecking

Jun 22, 2010, 9:44:51 AM6/22/10
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:15:39 +0200, Merciadri Luca
<Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

>Dan Luecking <Look...@uark.edu> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:15:15 +0200, Merciadri Luca
>> <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

>>>Thanks all. I'll try what suits my needs best. @Robin: note that
>>>http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/software/tex/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/animate/
>>>gives a 404 error (don't know why).
>>
>> The "tex-archive/" portion of
>>
>> http://mirror.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/animate/
>>
>> should have been left out. The URL "http://mirror.ctan.org"
>> already returns the relevant directory (which is most often
>> _not_ "tex-archive/").
>>
>> Thus the following worked for me each time (twice) I tried it:
>Yes, but that means that Robin's link is incorrect!

Of course. But you said you didn't know why, and I was
responding to that. I hope you now know.

Merciadri Luca

Jun 22, 2010, 1:16:35 PM6/22/10

Robin Fairbairns

Jun 22, 2010, 4:17:12 PM6/22/10
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> Dan Luecking <Look...@uark.edu> writes:

>>>Yes, but that means that Robin's link is incorrect!
>>
>> Of course. But you said you didn't know why, and I was
>> responding to that. I hope you now know.
> Yes. But I didn't know why Robin did this mistake!

old age and general decrepitude, i'm afraid.

fwiw, i've (today) converted the online faq to use mirror.ctan.org --
you'll see that when the current beta becomes the standard, but i've
tested it already. so you won't see anything silly, regardless of my
failings.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

Merciadri Luca