Why do CTAN announcements no longer show at comp.text.tex?

Ulrich D i e z

May 24, 2022, 2:18:37 PM5/24/22
Why do CTAN announcements no longer show at comp.text.tex?

The question came up yesterday on TeX LaTeX StackExchange.

<https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/645234/118714>

Sincerely

Ulrich

Holger Schieferdecker

May 25, 2022, 2:56:10 AM5/25/22
Am 24.05.2022 um 20:19 schrieb Ulrich D i e z:
> Why do CTAN announcements no longer show at comp.text.tex?
>
> The question came up yesterday on TeX LaTeX StackExchange.
>
> <https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/645234/118714>

That also happened about 2 years ago.

The announcements are transferred from the mailing-list to the newsgroup
by a mail-news-gateway. That time the newsserver configured there was
down. Maybe it's the same problem now.

Holger

Holger Schieferdecker

May 31, 2022, 3:12:26 AM5/31/22
As you can see the announcements can be seen here again.

I contacted CTAN and suggested to use a different newsserver for the
mail-news-gateway as the one used until now
(news2.open-news-network.org) is currently down. This is the answer from
Erik Braun from CTAN:

"Sorry for the late response, I was away for a few days. Now
news6.open-news-network.org is used. Please let us know if there
are problems again."

I'm not on StackExchange, so I can't answer there.

Holger

Ulrich D i e z

May 31, 2022, 5:02:10 AM5/31/22
Holger Schieferdecker wrote:

> As you can see the announcements can be seen here again.
>
> I contacted CTAN and suggested to use a different newsserver for
> the mail-news-gateway as the one used until now (news2.open-news-network.org)
> is currently down. This is the answer from Erik Braun from CTAN:
>
> "Sorry for the late response, I was away for a few days. Now
> news6.open-news-network.org is used. Please let us know if there
> are problems again."
>
> I'm not on StackExchange, so I can't answer there.
>
> Holger

Many thanks to Erik Braun/the CTAN Team and to Holger Schieferdecker.

I just informed on TeX LaTeX Stack Exchange about the state of things,
quoting and linking to the message I'm responding to.

The message on TeX-LaTeX StackExchange is available at the URL
<https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/646224/118714>

The whole discussion on TeX-LaTeX StackExchange is available at the URL
<https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/645234/why-do-ctan-announcements-no-longer-show-at-comp-text-tex?r=SearchResults&s=1%7C269.5996>

Sincerely

Ulrich

Ulrich D i e z

Jun 17, 2022, 4:46:48 AM6/17/22
Seems the mail-newsgateway for forwarding CTAN announcements from the
mailing list to comp.text.tex is down again.

The last CTAN announcement I received via comp.text.tex dates back to
June 12, 2022:

|From: CTAN Announcements <ctan...@ctan.org>
|Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
|Subject: New on CTAN: spacekern
|Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 09:26:38 +0200 (CEST)

while the latest CTAN announcement displayed at <https://ctan.org/ctan-ann>
is from June 16, 2022:

|Date: June 16, 2022 4:39:01 PM CEST
|CTAN update: ProjLib

Sincerely

Ulrich

Holger Schieferdecker

Jun 20, 2022, 3:51:38 AM6/20/22
Am 17.06.2022 um 10:47 schrieb Ulrich D i e z:
> I wrote:
>
>> Why do CTAN announcements no longer show at comp.text.tex?
>>
>> The question came up yesterday on TeX LaTeX StackExchange.
>>
>> <https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/645234/118714>
>
> Seems the mail-newsgateway for forwarding CTAN announcements from the
> mailing list to comp.text.tex is down again.

Unfortunately I don't know the reason of the current problem.

> The last CTAN announcement I received via comp.text.tex dates back to
> June 12, 2022:
>
> |From: CTAN Announcements <ctan...@ctan.org>
> |Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
> |Subject: New on CTAN: spacekern
> |Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 09:26:38 +0200 (CEST)

According to the header of that posting it was delivered to
gwaiyur.mb-net.net which in fact is news6.open-news-network.org. The
sever status page of Open News Network[1] shows problems of
news6.open-news-network.org starting at 2022-06-12 12:36 and lasting at
least until 2022-06-15 09:43. But there is an ok status later that day,
the next day and today.

So I would assume the latest announcements should have appeared here.

Holger

[1] http://open-news-network.org/serverstatus

Ulrich D i e z

Jun 20, 2022, 4:40:53 AM6/20/22
Holger Schieferdecker wrote:

> Unfortunately I don't know the reason of the current problem.
[...]
> According to the header of that posting it was delivered to gwaiyur.mb-net.net which in fact is news6.open-news-network.org. The sever status page of Open News Network[1] shows problems of news6.open-news-network.org starting at 2022-06-12 12:36 and lasting at least until 2022-06-15 09:43. But there is an ok status later that day, the next day and today.
>
> So I would assume the latest announcements should have appeared here.
>
> Holger
>

> [1] http://open-news-network.org/serverstatus

I just sent an e-mail to ct...@ctan.org.

Sincerely

Ulrich

Erik Braun

Jun 22, 2022, 1:17:46 PM6/22/22
Ulrich D i e z <ud.usenetco...@web.de> wrote:

>> [1] http://open-news-network.org/serverstatus
>
> I just sent an e-mail to ct...@ctan.org.

Posting via NNTP is disabled on the open-news-network.org servers. The
CTAN mailing list software now uses news.solani.org and so far this
seems to work. Many thanks for your efforts to get the Mail→News
gateway working again and especially to Ulrich for pointing out
news.solani.org.

Best
Erik