> How many times should I compile latex & bibtex in order to have all
> references fixed?
> And in what order?
> Thank you!
1. latex ; none of the citations are defined, and no bibliography
2. bibtex ; now the bibliography exists, but...
3. latex ; the bibliography is input at the _end_of the file, so
; citations in the document are still undefined.
4. latex ; now the citations are defined. Sometimes this changes
; line/page breaks so another run
5. latex ; may be needed (latex should tell you so in step 4).
If you need a makeindex run, put it just before or after bibtex.
If you don't change any bibliographic references or citations, you don't
have to run bibtex (or makeindex) more than once, no matter what other
changes are made to the file.
i would advise running makeindex after your step 4, in fact. anything
that causes changes to line/page breaks may also require recalculation
of the index.
>If you don't change any bibliographic references or citations, you don't
>have to run bibtex (or makeindex) more than once, no matter what other
>changes are made to the file.
the `ordinary' exception being when the index changes as a result of
shifting page breaks.
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge