justification of footnotes in minipage

bquinif

Apr 26, 2006, 5:44:00 PM4/26/06
I am using a minipage environment to put foot notes at the bottom of
some of my tables. I would like for these footnotes to be aligned with
the left side of the table, but right now I am getting them aligned at
the left side of the page.

Here's the basic layout for my tables.

\begin{table}[!tbp]
\begin{minipage}{\textwidth}
\begin{center}
\begin{tabular

Table info.

\end{tabular}

\end{center}
Footnotes.
\end{minipage}
\end{table}

I think the problem might be with having {\textwidth} after
\begin{minipage}, but I don't know how to alter that, if it is the
problem....

Steven Endres

Apr 26, 2006, 6:27:17 PM4/26/06
"bquinif" <brian....@gmail.com> wrote in message

I suppose the quick way would be to save the table in a box, and then you'll
know its width:

\newsavebox{\tablebox}
\savebox{\tablebox}{%
\begin{tabular}
% put table here
\end{tabular}%
}

\begin{table}
\begin{minipage}{\wd\tablebox}
\usebox{\tablebox}
% put footnote or caption here
\end{minipage}
\end{table}

HTH,
Steven

Robin Fairbairns

Apr 26, 2006, 6:47:20 PM4/26/06

you could fiddle about a lot, or you could use the threeparttable
package.

i would favour the latter.

(of course, the faq covers all these sorts of things.)
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

bqu...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2006, 7:13:38 PM4/26/06
I know this is a stupid question, but how do I actually find the
package's documentation? I tried searching for "threeparttable" in all
three of the search boxes on ctan.org...

Donald Arseneau

Apr 27, 2006, 1:18:31 AM4/27/06
bqu...@gmail.com writes:

> I know this is a stupid question, but how do I actually find the
> package's documentation?

The documentation is short, and is plain text at the top of
threeparttable.sty

--
Donald Arseneau as...@triumf.ca

bqu...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2006, 11:03:19 AM4/27/06
I found that after searching for a little while. I've been having
trouble finding documentation for various packages lately, though.

I found this package to be very helpful, though, and it does exactly
what I was looking for.

BQ

Robin Fairbairns

May 5, 2006, 3:04:48 PM5/5/06
bqu...@gmail.com writes:
>I found that after searching for a little while. I've been having
>trouble finding documentation for various packages lately, though.

is this from looking on ctan, or on your system? there's a general
problem with documentation in distributions, because of people who
insist on calling their documentation "manual.pdf" or whatever. what
one needs is a catalogue facility: these do exist in some
distributions, but it doesn't help if you're expecting to type "texdoc
<package>" -- and of course the ctan catalogue will usually take you
to and documentation that exists.

>I found this package to be very helpful, though, and it does exactly
>what I was looking for.

i'm never surprised when someone finds that of one of donald's packages...
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge