TeX/LaTeX Survey

dps...@uakron.edu

Jan 18, 2010, 8:07:46 AM1/18/10
to dps...@uakron.edu
Several years ago, I posted a TeX/LaTeX survey, It was down for a
couple of years for various reasons not under my control. Now, it is
up again. Therefore I solite your opinions on TeX/LaTeX. Some of the
questions may be out of date. I hope to get many more responses, and
to publish the results.

The survey is at

http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dpstory/eqexam.html

about half-way down the page.

Turgut Durduran

Jan 18, 2010, 8:44:54 AM1/18/10

The problem is that it requires adobe acrobat reader.

Turgut

Joseph Wright

Jan 18, 2010, 8:48:03 AM1/18/10
On Jan 18, 1:44 pm, Turgut Durduran <u...@ugdc.org> wrote:
> The problem is that it requires adobe acrobat reader.

Not really too surprising: a lot of the more complex PDF features only
work in Reader.
--
Joseph Wright

dps...@uakron.edu

Jan 18, 2010, 10:00:06 AM1/18/10
I have placed the all the results in a PDF Portfolio, which is now
available at

http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dpstory/eqexam.html

Adobe Reader 9 required, or if you don't like Reader, than any
"conforming reader" will do.

dps

Turgut Durduran

Jan 18, 2010, 5:34:06 PM1/18/10

not at all but TeX/LaTeX survey need not require it.

Jürgen Gilg

Jan 19, 2010, 6:39:18 PM1/19/10
Hello Turgut

> not at all but TeX/LaTeX survey need not require it.

What is wrong with the Adobe Reader? It is free software and running
on most platforms.

It supports the necessary JavaScripts for surveys as presented. Not
all PDFViewers can handle that. Is there a way to handle formfields
(with submitting the content) other than with JavaScript and viewed
with other PDFViewers?

Regards,

Juergen

Ivan Shmakov

Jan 20, 2010, 1:53:15 AM1/20/10

>> not at all but TeX/LaTeX survey need not require it.

> What is wrong with the Adobe Reader? It is free software and
> running on most platforms.

While it's available free of charge, it is not, to the best of
my knowledge, free software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrobat_Reader

[...]

--
FSF associate member #7257
GnuPG fingerprint: C063 57EA 1939 50C2 4506 FB6C 4B5C B224 DA81 5B64

Jürgen Gilg

Jan 20, 2010, 2:49:46 AM1/20/10
Hello Ivan,

>         While it's available free of charge, it is not, to the best of
>         my knowledge, free software.

many thanks for that hint.

So i have to correct myself -- for sure i was thinking of: Software
free of charge.

Regards,

Juergen

David Kastrup

Jan 20, 2010, 4:10:56 AM1/20/10
J�rgen Gilg <gi...@acrotex.net> writes:

And that answers the "what is wrong" question: you don't know how long
it will be available for your platform of choice (if at all), you can't
check the source for security risks, you can't add functionality or
adapt it to particular task requirements, you can't fix a bug that may
critically affect your business, you can't pack it together into a
do-it-all package delivered to customers with software of your choice...

In short: you can't depend or rely on it.

--
David Kastrup
UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>

Turgut Durduran

Jan 20, 2010, 4:16:12 AM1/20/10
On 2010-01-20, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:

> And that answers the "what is wrong" question: you don't know how long
> it will be available for your platform of choice (if at all), you can't
> check the source for security risks, you can't add functionality or
> adapt it to particular task requirements, you can't fix a bug that may
> critically affect your business, you can't pack it together into a
> do-it-all package delivered to customers with software of your choice...
>
> In short: you can't depend or rely on it.

It also has a history of "sorry users of Linux, you gotta wait" when it
comes to updates. There are often functions that interact with components
of other OSes but not properly with Linux (like the in-line movies
are/were).

I understand that the survey was created as a showcase of the capabilities
of that package but to answer the question about filling forms etc, the
survey could easily have been done as a web-based one.

Turgut