Cite problem

Dieter Britz

Jan 26, 2017, 5:45:14 AM1/26/17
Until now I have enjoyed using the cite package but
now it is making trouble. Here is a mini-example:

\documentclass[review,12pt]{elsarticle}
\usepackage{cite}
\begin{document}
\begin{frontmatter}
\title{Bla bla}
\author{me}
\address{Here}
\ead{m...@myself.dk}
\date{}
\begin{abstract}
Bla.
\end{abstract}
\begin{keyword}
{blA.}
\end{keyword}
\end{frontmatter}

\section{Introduction}\label{intro}
Bla bla \cite{Aoki1984} bla.

\end{document}

Trying pdflatex on this I get the error message

Runaway argument?
]{Aoki1984} bla.
! Paragraph ended before \@citex was complete.
<to be read again>
\par
l.20

What do I do? I like this package and want to keep using it.

--
Dieter Britz

Uwe Siart

Jan 26, 2017, 8:58:12 AM1/26/17
Dieter Britz <dieterh...@gmail.com> writes:

> Runaway argument?
> ]{Aoki1984} bla.
> ! Paragraph ended before \@citex was complete.

I can reproduce the error, even with a much shorter example:

\documentclass{elsarticle}
\usepackage{cite}
\begin{document}
\section{Introduction}\label{intro}
Bla bla \cite{Aoki1984} bla.
\end{document}

But cite.sty dates to 2015/02/27. So it is likely that something else
changed and causes the break.

The error does not occur with article.cls.

In my log the most recent date that I find is 2017/01/12 of pdftex.def.

--
Uwe

Ulrike Fischer

Jan 26, 2017, 9:42:24 AM1/26/17
Am Thu, 26 Jan 2017 10:43:30 -0000 (UTC) schrieb Dieter Britz:

> Until now I have enjoyed using the cite package but
> now it is making trouble.

"Now" is not really acurate. This would never (at least since 2012)
have worked.

elsarticle loads natbib and natbib is not compatible with cite.

"The natbib package, however, is not compatible with either cite
..."

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

Herbert Voss

Jan 26, 2017, 3:00:27 PM1/26/17
Am 26.01.2017 um 11:43 schrieb Dieter Britz:
> Until now I have enjoyed using the cite package but
> now it is making trouble. Here is a mini-example:
>
> \documentclass[review,12pt]{elsarticle}
> \usepackage{cite}
> \begin{document}
> \begin{frontmatter}
> \title{Bla bla}
> \author{me}
> \address{Here}
> \ead{m...@myself.dk}
> \date{}
> \begin{abstract}
> Bla.
> \end{abstract}
> \begin{keyword}
> {blA.}
> \end{keyword}
> \end{frontmatter}
>
> \section{Introduction}\label{intro}
> Bla bla \cite{Aoki1984} bla.
>
> \end{document}

try

\documentclass{elsarticle}
\usepackage{cite}
\usepackage{amsrefs}
\begin{document}
\section{Introduction}\label{intro}
Bla bla \cite{Aoki1984} bla.
\end{document}

Herbert

Donald Arseneau

Feb 4, 2017, 1:25:43 AM2/4/17
Dieter Britz <dieterh...@gmail.com> writes:

> Until now I have enjoyed using the cite package but
> now it is making trouble. Here is a mini-example:
>
> \documentclass[review,12pt]{elsarticle}
> \usepackage{cite}

\RequirePackage[numbers,sort&compress]{natbib}

Donald Arseneau as...@triumf.ca