fractions not printed correctly

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Feb 22, 2021, 12:32:27 PM2/22/21
I've heard some complaints about some things I've written using standard
LaTeX and then running dvips and ps2pdf to get a PDF file. The scalable
CM fonts. Nothing fancy. Apparently things look OK on the screen but
not when printed. Same problem on two different printers.

Any ideas?

Dr Eberhard Lisse

Feb 23, 2021, 7:27:46 AM2/23/21
Use LuaLaTeX (on a modern computer :-)-O)

To email me replace 'nospam' with 'el'

Pieter van Oostrum

Feb 23, 2021, 8:23:39 AM2/23/21
Depends on the fonts you use, and if there are proper Type 1 fonts for them on your system, and if dvips finds them. With a TeX installation like texlive, it should be set up properly by itself if a full installation is done. If you install TeX with a package manager, you might have to install additional packages that contain these fonts.

Look to the messages of your dvips run, to see what fonts are included.

For example
</usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr10.pfb>
</usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr12.pfb>
</usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmmi12.pfb>

--
Pieter van Oostrum
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Feb 26, 2021, 10:55:33 AM2/26/21
In article <s10pr5$kqn$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de says...
I'd use pdfTeX directly for pdf-output rather than the circuitious
dvips-ps2pdf route. And perhaps a modern font like kp, that isn't as
scrawly as CM. If the problem persists, tell us what the complaint
actually is.

--
DIN EN ISO 9241 Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual
display terminals (VDTs) - Part 13: User guidance

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Feb 26, 2021, 11:23:42 AM2/26/21
In article <MPG.3aa338484...@news.eternal-september.org>, Dr
Engelbert Buxbaum <engelber...@hotmail.com> writes:

> In article <s10pr5$kqn$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
> hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de says...
> >
> > I've heard some complaints about some things I've written using standard
> > LaTeX and then running dvips and ps2pdf to get a PDF file. The scalable
> > CM fonts. Nothing fancy. Apparently things look OK on the screen but
> > not when printed. Same problem on two different printers.
>
> I'd use pdfTeX directly for pdf-output rather than the circuitious
> dvips-ps2pdf route.

One reason I go the circuitous route is that I include PostScript files.
Yes, I could convert them to PDF, but that is an extra step. Also, I
occasionally edit PostScript files by hand.

> And perhaps a modern font like kp, that isn't as
> scrawly as CM.

Yes, there might be better fonts than CM, but in this particular case
that is what the publisher wants. (I haven't heard a complaint about
this from the publisher, just from a colleague.)

But this is very vanilla: CM, LaTeX, dvips, nothing fancy. It is
thus strange that it exists at all.

On my screen, and that of the colleague, things work OK. I've tried
various PDF viewers on various operating systems. All is OK.

> If the problem persists, tell us what the complaint actually is.

Here's the description (I've seen a screenshot: the fraction line is
just not there for \frac.):

Well, it looks like this is a problem specific to the laptop I
standardly use. I did succeed in printing a sample page correctly
from another laptop just now, while my regular laptop still does not
print correctly.

However, I've only ever had this problem I think on two other
occations on this laptop, one of which was with another paper of
yours. Very strange indeed.

Robert Heller

Feb 26, 2021, 11:43:35 AM2/26/21
What O/S is the errant laptop running? What is its screen resolution? I
*suspect* it is something relating to the O/S and the screen resolution and
somehow the fraction line ends up be < 1 *pixel* thick (high?) and is thus not
drawn/seen. It might be a roundoff error and may have something to do with the
display software's conversion from points to pixels. It is likely not
something related to any [La]Tex software and is a very specific "feature" of
the laptop and the system software it is running.

--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Feb 26, 2021, 11:48:23 AM2/26/21
In article <a5Wdncul9OKwuKT9...@giganews.com>, Robert
Heller <hel...@deepsoft.com> writes:

> > Well, it looks like this is a problem specific to the laptop I
> > standardly use. I did succeed in printing a sample page correctly
> > from another laptop just now, while my regular laptop still does not
> > print correctly.
> >
> > However, I've only ever had this problem I think on two other
> > occations on this laptop, one of which was with another paper of
> > yours. Very strange indeed.
> What O/S is the errant laptop running? What is its screen resolution?

> I *suspect* it is something relating to the O/S and the screen
> resolution and somehow the fraction line ends up be < 1 *pixel* thick
> (high?) and is thus not drawn/seen. It might be a roundoff error and may
> have something to do with the display software's conversion from points
> to pixels. It is likely not something related to any [La]Tex software
> and is a very specific "feature" of the laptop and the system software
> it is running.

I'll ask, but I'm pretty sure that it was PRINTED ON PAPER. Yes,
perhaps printing on paper could be a low-resolution screenshot, but
somehow that seems unlikely to me, especially since it looks OK on the
screen of the same machine which printed the strange copy.

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Feb 26, 2021, 11:51:14 AM2/26/21
In article <s1b8oh$f7e$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply))
writes:
Looking at the screenshot again, I think that you might be right, but
it's a low-resolution printer. However, the lines not printed (fraction
lines, top line on radical) are, on my screen, somewhat thicker than
some which are (equal signs, for example). Of course, it could be an
aliasing/roundoff issue.

Robert Heller

Feb 26, 2021, 1:44:29 PM2/26/21
It is likely a aliasing/roundoff issue. Which might also be happening with
the PDF display program, although with a different aliasing/roundoff -- I have
seen lines "vanish" when displaying PDF files with PDF viewers when selecting
different magnification factors and sometimes lines become fatter. It is
probably because of aliasing and/or roundoff going from points to pixels, esp.
at non-integral magnification. Remember 10% (.1) is irrational in binary
floating point.

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Mar 1, 2021, 12:09:59 PM3/1/21
In article <s1b7a7$1mft$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de says...

> One reason I go the circuitous route is that I include PostScript
files.
> Yes, I could convert them to PDF, but that is an extra step. Also, I
> occasionally edit PostScript files by hand.

That can be done also with pdf. I use Serif Draw for that, but this
program is no longer on the market. https://pdf.iskysoft.com/edit-
pdf/pdf-drawing-tool.html discusses other programs.

> Here's the description (I've seen a screenshot: the fraction line is
> just not there for \frac.):

Perhaps the line becomes less than 1 pixel thick at the screen
resolution. A stop gap would be to increase the thickness, for example
with \genfrac.