force sort of "van Herwerden" with bibtex?

Jud Herrman

Jul 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/4/98

Christophe Broult

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98
to Jud Herrman

jher...@herrman.home (Jud Herrman) writes:

> It seems like this must be a faq, but I can't find the answer
> anywhere. In an item in a .bib file I have the following for the
> author field:
>
> author={van Herwerden, H.}
>
> I want this item to be listed in the alphabetized bibliography under
> Herwerden as either ``van Herwerden, H.'' or ``Herwerden, H. van.''
> I've played with brackets and word order in the author field, but in
> all cases bibtex alphabetizes under ``van'', not ``Herwerden'' and
> prints ``van Herwerden, H.''. How can I force this entry to be sorted
> by the last-name and not the von-part? I think bibtex recognizes the
> difference between the two parts of the name, but it still doesn't
> sort the item as I would like.

My suggestion would be: use the custom-bib package to define your own
bibliographic style because it has an option that enables you to sort
without von part.

Chris

--
// Chris Broult http://www.info.unicaen.fr/lpv

Nicolas Holzschuch

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98
to Jud Herrman
Jud Herrman wrote:

> It seems like this must be a faq, but I can't find the answer
> anywhere. In an item in a .bib file I have the following for the
> author field:
>
> author={van Herwerden, H.}
>
> I want this item to be listed in the alphabetized bibliography under
> Herwerden as either ``van Herwerden, H.'' or ``Herwerden, H. van.''
> I've played with brackets and word order in the author field, but in
> all cases bibtex alphabetizes under ``van'', not ``Herwerden'' and
> prints ``van Herwerden, H.''. How can I force this entry to be sorted
> by the last-name and not the von-part? I think bibtex recognizes the
> difference between the two parts of the name, but it still doesn't
> sort the item as I would like.

I'll let others point you to packages. If you want to do the job
yourself, I see two possibilities :
a) author={Herwerden, H. van} works. It means you are forcing the "van"
part to be in the first name. It works with me, and I have the entry
sorted with the "H". It is still printed "H. van Herwerden" because you
have first-names first in plain.bst, but that one is easy to solve.

b) Rewrite the small part of the .bst file that is acting :
In the bst file, search the string "vv". You should have it in three
functions:
- in FUNCTION {format.names}:
{ff~}{vv~}{ll}{, jj}
- in FUNCTION {format.crossref.editor}:
{vv~}{ll} (there is also {ff }{vv }{ll}{ jj}, but it's just for a test)
- in FUNCTION {sort.format.names}:
{vv{ } }{ll{ }}{ ff{ }}{ jj{ }}

As you can guess, the first two rule the formatting of names, while the
last one rules the sorting of names. Thus you can have diffenrent rules
for printing and for sorting.

Your first problem is sorting. Thus, you want to replace the string
"{vv{ } }{ll{ }}{ ff{ }}{ jj{ }}" in sort.format.names with something
like:
"{ll{ }}{ ff{ }}{vv{ } }{ jj{ }}"
(meaning sorting using last name, then first name, then "von" part (if
any), then "Jr" part, if any).
Or may be it should be "{ll{ }}{vv{ } }{ ff{ }}{ jj{ }}"
(meaning last name, then "von" part, then first name, then junior part).
It all depends on you. For example, assuming we have both a Heinrich van
Herwerden and an Heinrich Herwerden, which one should go first ? And
between Julius van Herwerden and Heinrich von Herwerden, which one goes
first? Entirely your choice.

Once you have the sorting solved, you can worry about the formatting.
plain.bst (all my examples are from plain.bst) prints names (in
format.names) using "First von Last, Jr". If you prefer "von Last,
First, Jr" (sorted with "L", of course), use:
{vv~}{ll}{, ff}{, jj}
If you prefer "Last, First von, Jr", use:
{ll}{, ff}{~vv}{, jj}
That one will land you in trouble if someone has no first name but has a
"von" part, but that's the best I can think of.
Similarly, if you like "Last, von" you can replace the string
"{vv~}{ll}" in format.crossref.editor by "{ll}{, vv}".

Choice between a) and b) is merely a matter of where you're going, what
are the specs of your job, and what you're dealing with. Let me explain
that: although you want to write the "von" part last (thus "Heinrich van
Herwerden" is sorted with "H" and written "Herwerden, Heinrich van")
this is not necessarily true elsewhere. For example, in french, "Charles
de Gaulle" should be sorted with "D" and written "De Gaulle, Charles".
But "François de Marécages-Pompeux" should be sorted with "M" and
written "Marécages-Pompeux, François de". What is worse is that
"Heinrich Van Herwerden" (a nederlander or a south-african) should be
sorted with "V" and written "Van Herwerden, Heinrich". I'm not even
mentionning the german "Karajan, Herbert von" (but "Vom Kala,
Heinrich").

Hence, if you have people from various countries in your bibliography,
it's better not to rewrite the .bst file, and to use the .bib ordering
(author="Herwerden, Heinrich van", author="Van Herwerden, Heinrich",
etc).

On the other hand, if you need to sort according to "Last name/von
part/first name" (I can't see why you would, but hey, it's a large
planet after all) then the .bst rewriting is the best place. Whether you
do it yourself or you use packages is up to you.

Nicolas Holzschuch von Hope-This-Helps, Jr.

Dirk Janssen

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
Nicolas Holzschuch <Nicolas.H...@loria.fr> writes:

> Jud Herrman wrote:

> What is worse is that
> "Heinrich Van Herwerden" (a nederlander or a south-african) should be
> sorted with "V" and written "Van Herwerden, Heinrich". I'm not even
> mentionning the german "Karajan, Herbert von" (but "Vom Kala,
> Heinrich").

I fully agree with your point that the proper place of the von part is a mess,
and it is best dealt with in the bibliography itself. Your observation about
Dutch is incorrect though, here we would sort Hendrik van Herwerden always under
H, as `Herwerden, Hendrik van' or (ugly but true) `Herwerden, van, Hendrik'. At
least, that's how it's done in The Netherlands...

Thanks for all the info,

Dirk

dzet...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2017, 2:40:23 PM11/17/17
Thanks so much -- still helpful 19 years later!