numbered description list?

ivo...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2008, 3:33:58 PM10/2/08

Is there a package that defines numbered description lists?

\begin{description}
\item[Animals] Emus.
\item[Cars] Ferraris.
\end{description}

which would typeset into something like:

*1. Animals:* Emus.
*2. Cars:* Ferraris.

Preferably, I could set some of the styling, too: Here I am
indicating bold with surrounding '*' and a trailing ':' after the
definition list.

I guess I could redefine description to init a counter, and within its
definition, to redefine \item in a way that will add what I want. I
just wondered if some standard package is already defining this.

Pointers appreciated.

Regards, /iaw

Nicola Talbot

Oct 3, 2008, 5:34:07 AM10/3/08
ivo...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a package that defines numbered description lists?
>
> \begin{description}
> \item[Animals] Emus.
> \item[Cars] Ferraris.
> \end{description}
>
> which would typeset into something like:
>
> *1. Animals:* Emus.
> *2. Cars:* Ferraris.

\documentclass{article}

\newcounter{description}

\renewcommand{\descriptionlabel}[1]{%
\refstepcounter{description}%
\hspace\labelsep
\normalfont\bfseries \thedescription. #1:}

\begin{document}

\begin{description}
\item[Animals] Emus.
\item[Cars] Ferraris.