Overcoming insufficient permissions for PDF image extraction to JPEG

bentk...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2005, 12:12:08 AM7/29/05
How do I save a PDF diagram to JPG using when I get the Adobe Acrobat
6.0 Standard error: File->Save As, Save as type = JPEG, "Insufficient
permissions for image extraction"?

The original is a BMW shop manual that I paid $100 for the CDROM.
The BMW problem I have is posted to http://www.i-bmw.com with photos
using the same login as I used for this post.

My problem is I wish to include a shot of the factory shop manual
diagram but apparently BMW doesn't want me to save that diagram to
JPEG.

How do I overcome the "insufficient permissions for image extraction"
so that I can save a diagram in the BMW factory shop manual to a JPEG
so I can post it to the BMW forum to get the help I need (obviously the
shop manual failed me in this respect).

I tried printing the PDF shop manual to PostScript and then distilling
to PDF again but I got a similar message from the Adobe Acrobat
Distiller (Windows XP).

Please advise how to save a diagram to JPEG when it is protected
somehow magically.

bentk...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2005, 12:41:28 AM7/29/05
bentk...@yahoo.com wrote:
> How do I overcome the "insufficient permissions for image extraction"
> so that I can save a diagram in the BMW factory shop manual to a JPEG
> so I can post it to the BMW forum to get the help I need (obviously the
> shop manual failed me in this respect).

I even tried deleting all the pages so that I could just post the one
page (I can't be posting the entire 400 page shop manual!) but even
deleting pages is disallowed.

When I check File->Document Properties->Security, I find the following:
Security Method = Password Security
Printing = Allowed
Changing the Document = Not Allowed
Document Assembly = Not Allowed
Content Copying or Extraction = Not Allowed
Content Extraction for Accessibility = Not Allowed
Commenting = Not Allowed
Filing of form fields = Not Allowed
Signing = Not Allowed
Creation of Template Pages = Not Allowed

If I didn't pay $100 for this manual I wouldn't be so upset just trying
to save a JPG of one of the diagrams to post to the BMW forum for help.

I'm sure there is another way to do simply save one PDF page or convert
that one PDF diagram to a GIF or JPEG file.

Can a PDF or JPEG expert point me to the software that would do this
for me?
I don't wish to remove the security. I just want to save the diagram to
JPEG!

Thanks,
BN

bentk...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2005, 1:01:28 AM7/29/05
bentk...@yahoo.com wrote:
> When I check File->Document Properties->Security, I find the following:
> Security Method = Password Security
> Printing = Allowed
> Content Copying or Extraction = Not Allowed

I solved the forum-posting problem by doing a print-screen and pasting
that into an empty GIF as shown on this URL
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/7007/wheel6qc.gif

But, from a technical standpoint, for the next time (for me and for
others who need this to post accurately to forums), the question still
stands.

What is the simplest least expensive option for saving a PDF diagram to
a GIF image when the original $100 PDF (which we rightfully own) is
protected this way at the factory?

Ben K.

Ken Weitzel

Jul 29, 2005, 1:07:48 AM7/29/05

Hi Ben...

I'm not so sure that you do "own" it; anymore than you
can own anyone else's copyright materials, or intellectual
property. Were it one of your photos would you feel the
same way?

However, not my place to judge you, or anyone, so...

The easiest and cheapest way will be to simply make a
screen capture with a capture utility. I like Hyper-snap.

A free demo is available, or was when last I looked. The
limitation attached to the demo version is (was?) that it
puts a small unobtrusive watermark in the upper left corner
of the capture.

Take care.

Ken

King Sardon

Jul 29, 2005, 1:06:45 AM7/29/05

Do Alt-PrintScreen and paste into your favorite graphics program.

KS

King Sardon

Jul 29, 2005, 1:15:36 AM7/29/05

Depends on your morals, I guess. There are lots of progs out there
that recover PDF passwords. Plus I believe there are PDF readers that
do not respect the passwords... so, these are quite weak pwds. There
are also PDF converter progs that can recover graphics from PDFs,
after they have been unprotected.

KS

Guardia di Finanza

Jul 29, 2005, 1:25:20 AM7/29/05
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 05:06:45 GMT, King Sardon wrote:
>>> How do I overcome the "insufficient permissions for image extraction"
>>> so that I can save a diagram in the BMW factory shop manual to a JPEG
>>> so I can post it to the BMW forum to get the help I need

> Do Alt-PrintScreen and paste into your favorite graphics program.

The OP already said he used alt-print-screen and he posted a URL to the
result ( http://img113.imageshack.us/im g113/7007/wheel6qc.gif ).

Another option might be to snap a digital photo of the PDF of the shop
manual on your computer screen. Set your photo to 300dpi so as to magnify
the 72 or 96 DPI you get on the screen so you can blow up the photo.

However, perhaps the best answer is one of the three below (if they work):
#1: Somehow remove the protection of the PDF so that the SAVE TO GIF
feature works again.

#2: Somehow use a different PDF viewer that does not respect the password
protection of the original PDF so that this different PDF viewer can allow
you to save the one diagram to a GIF image.

#3: Print the PDF to PostScript and somehow use a different program to view
the PostScript file and then save the desired diagram to a GIF image.

I'm sure ONE of these three options will work but I have no idea which
sofware would do that for us. Maybe a digital expert is on this newsgroup
who can point out which freeware software reads PDF and saves a GIF image.

Peter Luftinger

Jul 29, 2005, 2:35:37 AM7/29/05
King Sardon <kings...@Hatespam.com> wrote

> Do Alt-PrintScreen and paste into your favorite graphics program.

I don't have a protected PDF document to test this out (I own a bimmer,
not a beemer ... the bimmer shop manuals are Bently paper bound manuals,
not PDF like in the beemers); but this simple 5-minute three-step
procedure below using ghoststuff ( http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ )
should, I would think, convert any password-protected PDF page to a JPEG
image which you can then annotate and edit as needed to post to your
beemer forum to get the help you morally and rightfully deserve after
having purchased a twenty thousand dollar bike and the hundred-dollar PDF
shop manual for that BMW motorcycle.

a) AFPL Ghostscript displays, prints, & converts PostScript & PDF files.
Download & install WinXP GhostScript 8.51 self-extracting binaries
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get851.htm

b) GSview is the official WinXP graphical interface for Ghostscript.
GSView uses Ghostscript to display, print, & convert both
PostScript & PDF files on Windows XP platforms.
Download & install WinXP GSview 4.7 self-extracting binaries
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/get47.htm

c) Convert the desired protected PDF diagram to a JPEG photo.
Right click on your password-protected PDF shop manual.
Chose to open with GSview (DO NOT USE ADOBE READER OR STANDARD!).
In GSview, press View -> Go To Page -> 294 -> OK
In GSview, press File -> Convert
Select Pages = 294 (the default will be all pages)
Choose Resolution = 600 dpi (or whatever is desired)
Select Device = jpeg (or whatever image format is desired)
Set "Shrink to fit Page Size" (I find this works best for me)
Press "OK" and choose a file name & press "Save".

This should convert a password-protected PDF to a JPEG (or any desired
image format, even vector formats which can then be rotated and modifed
as needed to convey the message you need to your forum members).

Let us know if this works as I don't have a password-protected PDF file
to test this process against (it certainly works fine for non-password
protected PDF or PostScript files).

Peter Luftinger

Mike Emerson

Jul 29, 2005, 2:52:16 AM7/29/05
In article <Xns96A1F001847ADlu...@207.115.63.158>, Peter Luftinger <luft...@airlines.dob.ru> wrote:
>King Sardon <kings...@Hatespam.com> wrote
>> Do Alt-PrintScreen and paste into your favorite graphics program.
>a) Download & install GhostScript 8.51
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get851.htm
>b) Download & install GSview 4.7

> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/get47.htm
>c) Convert the desired protected PDF diagram to a JPEG photo.

I own both a bimmer and a beemer along with their respective shop manuals so I
can probably test this out for you as soon as I find the CDROM containing
that BMW Motorrad Reparaturanleitung password protected PDF file (and as soon
as I install the suggested software on my Windows 2000 laptop).

I agree Adobe makes our lives miserable with this password protection
garbage. I, like most of us, absolutely hate the fact that the Adobe Acroabat
Reader is automatically installed with these CDROMs (why on earth would anyone
install the brain dead Adobe Acrobat Reader when the much better Adobe PDF
Writer works ten times better anyway?).

Hell. For that matter, I wish my bimmer had a PDF shop manual as the
Bentley manual I have is two sets at more than three inches a set! What I'd
like to do is convert those 700 pages of paper to PDF! If anyone knows how,
let me know now!

Anyway, when I find my beemer shop manual, I will test this out for you and
email you the results as I'm pretty adept at running file conversion software
so if it really works, I will be the first to let you know.

--
ME

Anthony Matonak

Jul 29, 2005, 3:25:40 AM7/29/05
Guardia di Finanza wrote:

> However, perhaps the best answer is one of the three below (if they work):
> #1: Somehow remove the protection of the PDF so that the SAVE TO GIF
> feature works again.

A quick google search found a bunch of different programs that
would remove PDF security.

http://www.password-crackers.com/crack/guapdf.html
http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/othersoft/pdf/
http://shareware.pcmag.com/product.php%5Bid%5D57355%5Bcid%5D256%5BSiteID%5Dpcmag

Anthony

bentk...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2005, 3:56:04 AM7/29/05
Guardia di Finanza wrote:
> #2: Somehow use a different PDF viewer that does not respect the password
> protection of the original PDF so that this different PDF viewer can allow
> you to save the one diagram to a GIF image.

Mike kindly sent me an email explaining how to load & run the freeware
software to convert my password-protected PDF shop manual images to
editable format files so I can get the expert help I need on the online
mechanic BMW repair forums.

He noted that if I additionally wanted to convert the mechanical CAD
2-d PDF diagrams to a rotatable 3-D vector format such as the AutoCAD
drawing exchange format (dxf), I'd need additional freeware software
such as ps2edit at http://www.pstoedit.net/pstoedit/ to create the
vector-format DXF files and http://www.dirfile.com/free_dwg_viewer.htm
& http://www.infograph.com/products/dwgviewer/ to view and edit (
http://www.a9tech.com/products/a9cad/ ) these dxf files.

The resulting diagram (converted from protected PDF to editable JPG)
can be remporarily found at
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2222/k12wheel1md.jpg

Thanks for all the help (why doesn't everyone know how to do this very
important and useful task)?

bentk...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2005, 4:22:22 AM7/29/05

Because Anthony went to the trouble to point out for us these programs
to remove eggregious PDF security which prevented us from saving a PDF
diagram to an editable format such as JPG, MS Word, DXF, etc., I
downloaded and tested the PC Magazine suggested "Advanced PDF Password
Recovery" version 1.46 software.

The ADPR software worked (almost) like a charm on the 376 page password
protected PDF. It quickly removed the user password for the first 38
pages allowing me to save all 38 to editable formats. Unfortunately,
with the downloaded trialware, the rest of the pages from 38 to 400
were all blank. :(

It would be nice if there were freeware out there to remove the
password protection on all 376 pages but I already was able convert the
desired diagram to an editable format for posting to the beemer online
mechanic forum using the freeware Ghostscript/GSview software.

The good news is we can again work on our vehicles and get help in the
online forums by the online mechanics who love to see photographs and
diagrams of the problems instead of words.

jef...@email.com

Jul 29, 2005, 4:28:25 AM7/29/05
>How do I save a PDF diagram to JPG
> bentknuckle @ yahoo.com

If it can be displayed on your screen,
a screen capture utility can grab it.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:AFvg7wxAcUEJ:www.nonags.com/nonags/grcapt.html+site:nonags.com+screen-capture+area
.
.
For some unknown reason, the mental midget Guardia di Finanza
added entries to the Groups line when he posted.
I'm cross-posting this to misc.consumers.frugal-living,
(where I found it).

jef...@email.com

Jul 29, 2005, 4:33:14 AM7/29/05
Guardia di Finanza arbitrarily added to the Groups line
2 (unrelated) newsgroups when he posted this.

Dude,
Were you born retarted or were you dropped on your head?

bentk...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2005, 5:39:31 AM7/29/05
jef...@email.com wrote:
> >How do I save a PDF diagram to JPG
> If it can be displayed on your screen,
> a screen capture utility can grab it.

That only works for one page and even then only if you can see the
entire set of diagrams on a single page with enough clarity at the dpi
of your screen. Plus a screen capture won't save to a vector format
which can then be 3-D rotated or stretched intelligently. A screen
capture might work sometimes, but, overall it's just a dumb low-quality
bitmap of a single viewing.

On the other hand, the method that was reported to me by the experts of
removing the PDF password protection is the best method overall as it
allows us to save the entire file as a series of editable pages in one
fell swoop. The only problem with this method is the freeware only
removed the password in the first 10% of the 400 pages of the manual
(it was trial ware) and the diagram I wanted was in the last 10%. There
was no way of cutting out the pages without removing the password
either. Bummer.

Luckily the method I used successfully (that of viewing the PDF in
Ghostscript/GSview which doesn't respect the Adobe password) worked
just fine to create an editable file that I could then post to the
beemer expert mechanics for their advice.

Here, by way of example, is the edited file with photographs annotated
and the diagram modified so that it shows exactly what I was trying to
portray to the BMW online mechanics who were helping me diagnose the
problem.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/2228/bmwk1200rswheel0oj.jpg

Mike Emerson

Jul 29, 2005, 5:53:00 AM7/29/05
bentk...@yahoo.com wrote:
>Here, by way of example, is the edited file with photographs annotated
>and the diagram modified so that it shows exactly what I was trying to
>portray to the BMW online mechanics who were helping me diagnose the
>problem.
>
> http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/2228/bmwk1200rswheel0oj.jpg

What happened to the ABS braking toothed ring for the Beemer?

If the anti-lock-braking ring were still on the wheel, then you'd know which
is the shift (port) side when you mount the directional tires.

By removing the ABS braking and the dual brake discs, you made it harder on
yourself!

bentk...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2005, 6:05:48 AM7/29/05
Mike Emerson wrote:
> http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/2228/bmwk1200rswheel0oj.jpg

> By removing the ABS braking and the dual brake discs,
> you made it harder on yourself!

The Frame Man in Sacramento wouldn't straighten the beemer front wheel
with the ABS braking ring or the dual caliper discs on the wheel! The
tire flattened so we decided to replace that also even though it had a
couple of thousand left of its five or six thousand mile lifetime.

Plus, I was in the hospital (so it's not my fault for not marking it in
the first place). My buddy (bless his soul) sent the wheel out as a
favor to me so I could ride again sooner.

Strange thing ... the cager was in a 7-series bimmer! He didn't even
know what hit him as he hurredly drove off after cutting me off by
turning right in front of me. He never stopped. What hurt me wasn't him
but the pavement. Next time I'm wearing armored gloves if I can fit my
newly bent knuckles into 'em!

Anyway, as we all said, I was able to convert the BMW shop manual PDF
to an editable format (GIF, JPEG, WORD, FrameMaker, etc.) by three
different methods.

1. Take a screenshot of the password-protected manual and edit that
2. Remove PDF password protection to save the manual to an editable
format
3. Read the password protected PDF in a program that doesn't respect
the passwords and then convert to an editable format

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/2228/bmwk1200rswheel0oj.jpg
:)

Andreas Buchner

Jul 29, 2005, 7:33:38 AM7/29/05
Am 28 Jul 2005 21:12:08 -0700 schrieb bentk...@yahoo.com:

> Please advise how to save a diagram to JPEG when it is protected
> somehow magically.

Very easy! If I got trouble with defective PDF files or I cannot work with
them theres a tool which mostly really helps:

http://www.elcomsoft.com/apdfpr.html

Regards,
Andi

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Jul 29, 2005, 9:02:13 AM7/29/05
Press "print screen"key once, to capture the screen.Go to painting.Press
CTRL+V to paste.You will be asked if you want to enlarge, answer yes.Save.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

wilt

Jul 29, 2005, 10:22:01 AM7/29/05
<<My problem is I wish to include a shot of the factory shop manual
diagram but apparently BMW doesn't want me to save that diagram to
JPEG. >>

BMW holds copyright. That means YOU MUST get BMW permission to use
their illustration in your manual, if you intend to distribute it. You
have the right to photocopy something for your OWN use, such as a copy
in your shop and a copy for your home office. But to copy something
for distribution to others is technically illegal and the copyright
owner can come after you! It is not merely about 'morals', it is about
your own risk to LEGAL EXPOSURE and lawsuit.

--Wilt

Hans Barnhofter

Jul 29, 2005, 2:01:21 PM7/29/05
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:02:13 +0300, Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
> Press "print screen"key once, to capture the screen.Go to painting.Press
> CTRL+V to paste.You will be asked if you want to enlarge, answer yes.Save.

While this method works reasonably well for converting a single page of PDF
to an editable format such as a GIF or JPEG, if you really desire a GIF or
JPEG for all 400 pages of the password-protected PDF document, a manual
screen capture is, shall we say, not exactly the most efficient approach.

Depending on your needs, it's MUCH MORE EFFICIENT to convert the entire
Adobe password protected PDF file to a non-password protected PDF by the
methods described.

For example, convert the entire password protected PDF document to
PostScript using Ghostscript/GSview in one step; then convert the
PostScript results back to PDF using the Adobe PostScript-to-PDF distiller.

At this point, you can now print the document, re-order pages in the
document, add and remove pages, cut and paste text, etc. for your personal
use. You can also quickly and efficiently convert the entire document to
GIF or JPEG or TIFF or HTML or Microsoft Word or ASCII TEXT or whatever
simply by running File -> Save As in the Adobe Acrobat Standard writer
product (I'm assuming nobody really uses the brain dead Adobe Acrobat
Reader).

In summary, there is a BIG difference between cut-and-paste of a screen
capture and a quick conversion to PostScript and then back to PDF.

Hans Barnhofter

Jul 29, 2005, 2:12:55 PM7/29/05
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:33:38 +0200, Andreas Buchner wrote:
>> Please advise how to save a diagram to JPEG when it is protected
>> somehow magically.
>
> Very easy! If I got trouble with defective PDF files or I cannot work with
> them theres a tool which mostly really helps:
> http://www.elcomsoft.com/apdfpr.html

To attempt to further the knowledge level here, I would guess the advantage
of the APDFPR password removal tool is that there would be no potential
damage to the document which might occur with the conversion process of
protected PDF to unprotected PostScript back to unprotected PDF.

I would also guess the main advantage of the Ghostscript/GSview/ps2edit
method is it's freely available and it works even for those who don't have
the Adobe Acrobat Standard or Adobe Acrobat Professional programs (is there
anyone out there who actually uses the brain-dead Adobe Acrobat Reader?).

Given that, this is my recommendation for modifying personal PDF files:
- Install Ghostscript & GSview & Pstoedit (as explained previously)
- Open your protected Portable Document Format (PDF) file in GSview
- Save (as pswrite) that protected PDF to a (an unprotected) PS file
- Convert that PS file back to PDF using the Adobe Acrobat Distiller
- Voila!

ME

Hans Barnhofter

Jul 29, 2005, 2:29:22 PM7/29/05
On 29 Jul 2005 07:22:01 -0700, wilt wrote:
> BMW holds copyright. That means YOU MUST get BMW permission to use
> their illustration in your manual, if you intend to distribute it. You
> have the right to photocopy something for your OWN use, such as a copy
> in your shop and a copy for your home office. But to copy something
> for distribution to others is technically illegal and the copyright
> owner can come after you! It is not merely about 'morals', it is about
> your own risk to LEGAL EXPOSURE and lawsuit.

This is very interesting so it would be nice to get a real legal opinion as
I am NOT a lawyer and I do NOT know or understand copyright law as it
pertains to individual use and I am not a moral person by any means (I live
in a glass house and so do you and BMW).

Does the BMW copyright really say what you imply?

a) For example, does the BMW copyright really prevent you from PRINTING
(for your own personal use) the beemer manual you purchased for $100 or the
bimmer owners manual you downloaded for free from them? (Note the password
protection can disable printing unless you manually remove that printing
restriction as described in this thread.)

b) Does the BMW copyright say you can't convert the manual to Microsoft
Word, Microsoft RTF, Adobe FrameMaker, JPEG, GIF, AutoDesk DXF, Adobe
PostScript, etc.? (Note the methods described allow you to do all of these
conversions, and more.)

c) Does the BMW copyright say you can't add or delete pages from the
documents you bought or downloaded from them? (The methods described allow
you to add and delete pages as desired.)

d) Does the BMW copyright say you can't cut and paste text from and to
those documents you bought or downloaded from them for use in an email or
other personal use? (The methods described enable copy and paste of lines
of text as needed.)

e) And, lastly, (and perhaps most important for this thread), does the BMW
copyright say you can not take a JPEG of a page of the beemer or bimmer
shop manual and then annotate that page with your problem for the purpose
of posting that newly annotated PDF to a bimmer or beemer forum for the
purpose of obtaining help in repairing your motorcycle or automobile?

In summary, my question to the legal folks is, if all these five desires
(printing pages, converting pages, adding or deleting pages, cutting and
pasting text from pages, and annotating pages with photos for repair
purposes) are actually expressly forbidden in the BMW copyright, then we
should not be running or suggesting this conversion of password-protected
PDF to password-free PDF files!

ME

John Weiss

Jul 29, 2005, 4:36:19 PM7/29/05
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 05:06:45 GMT, King Sardon wrote:
> How do I overcome the "insufficient permissions for image extraction"
> so that I can save a diagram in the BMW factory shop manual to a JPEG
> so I can post it to the BMW forum to get the help I need

Print and scan it, save as JPEG.

If you have the full Acrobat app or another PDF creator, "print" it to
another PDF file, then extract it.

C. Deforrest Smith

Jul 29, 2005, 5:14:34 PM7/29/05
Yup, you're true Outlaw Bikers now.

Where's rec.motorcycles.warez?

Yarrr,

-Chris

Dirty Harry

Jul 29, 2005, 5:30:39 PM7/29/05
Take a screenshot.

<bentk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

ka...@sonic.net

Jul 29, 2005, 11:19:16 PM7/29/05
On 28 Jul 2005 22:01:28 -0700, bentk...@yahoo.com wrote:

Let me save your and everyone else's time by summarizing the
upcoming 4,000 postings:

50% will say you rightfully own two things -- a physical CD and a
license to do exactly what, and not a whit more than, what is allowed
in the EULA which you most likely were not allowed to read before
opening the CD, which action made it non-returnable.

The remaining 50% will assert that they agree with your position and
(morally, at least) you should have the right to do anything you wish
with it.

At the end of the 4,000 posts, the argument will have advanced
no further than it has for the duration of the past 300 iterations of
the topic.

ka...@sonic.net

Jul 29, 2005, 11:41:33 PM7/29/05

It took you this long (conveniently after you'd done the deed)
to get to this conclusion?

>ME

Are you realy that much of a single-digit IQ that you think
these questions mean squat? BMW's copyright doesn't have to answer
your picky little "desires" individually. The woefully short answer is
that copyright does exactly what the name says -- it reserves the
RIGHT of COPYing to the copyright holder. The law specifies what that
means, so get off your lazy ass and do some legal research.

If you want a real guffaw, sunmit your inane questions to
BMW's legal department, complete with your copies from their manual,
and ask how far you can legally go with this. I'm sure they'll be
happy to send you a copy of their standard C&D letter.

Steve W.

Jul 30, 2005, 2:02:03 AM7/30/05

<ka...@sonic.net> wrote in message

copyright: an overview

The U.S. Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. §§ 101 - 810, is Federal legislation
enacted by Congress under its Constitutional grant of authority to
protect the writings of authors. See U.S. Constitution, Article I,
Section 8. Changing technology has led to an ever expanding
understanding of the word "writings". The Copyright Act now reaches
architectural design, software, the graphic arts, motion pictures, and
sound recordings. See § 106 of the act. Given the scope of the Federal
legislation and its provision precluding inconsistent state law, the
field is almost exclusively a Federal one. See § 301 of the act.

A copyright gives the owner the exclusive right to reproduce,
distribute, perform, display, or license his work. See § 106 of the act.
The owner also receives the exclusive right to produce or license
derivatives of his or her work. See § 201(d) of the act. Limited
exceptions to this exclusivity exist for types of "fair use", such as
book reviews. See § 107 of the act. To be covered by copyright a work
must be original and in a concrete "medium of expression." See § 102 of
the act. Under current law, works are covered whether or not a copyright
notice is attached and whether or not the work is registered.

The federal agency charged with administering the act is the Copyright
Office of the Library of Congress. See § 701 of the act. Its regulations
are found in Parts 201 - 204 of title 37 of the Code of Federal
Regulations.

http://www.copyright.gov/

http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

Copyright is a protection that covers published and unpublished
literary, scientific and artistic works, whatever the form of
expression, provided such works are fixed in a tangible or material
form. This means that if you can see it, hear it and/or touch it - it
may be protected. If it is an essay, if it is a play, if it is a song,
if it is a funky original dance move, if it is a photograph, HTML coding
or a computer graphic that can be set on paper, recorded on tape or
saved to a hard drive, it may be protected. Copyright laws grant the
creator the exclusive right to reproduce, prepare derivative works,
distribute, perform and display the work publicly. Exclusive means only
the creator of such work, not anybody who has access to it and decides
to grab it.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Mike Ross

Jul 30, 2005, 8:39:26 AM7/30/05
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 03:41:33 GMT, ka...@sonic.net wrote:

<huge snip>

> Are you realy that much of a single-digit IQ that you think
>these questions mean squat? BMW's copyright doesn't have to answer
>your picky little "desires" individually. The woefully short answer is
>that copyright does exactly what the name says -- it reserves the
>RIGHT of COPYing to the copyright holder. The law specifies what that
>means, so get off your lazy ass and do some legal research.

Starting with the concept of 'fair use'. Broadly, if you only quote
small parts of the manual, and/or don't make money from it, and/or
don't do something that is likely to cost BMW sales of manuals, you're
OK.

Mike
--
http://www.corestore.org
'As I walk along these shores

NotMe

Jul 30, 2005, 8:42:22 AM7/30/05
"Steve W."

Don't confuse physical possession of a copy of the work in any media with
ownership of the copy right. the two are vastly different. (do a goodle on
first purchase). the owner of the copy right can be very specific in what
can or cannot be done with the subject material which can include
precipitations against any copying, transfer or transformation.

J. Clarke

Jan 20, 2009, 10:27:16 PM1/20/09
Hans Barnhofter wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2005 07:22:01 -0700, wilt wrote:
>> BMW holds copyright. That means YOU MUST get BMW permission to use
>> their illustration in your manual, if you intend to distribute it.
>> You have the right to photocopy something for your OWN use, such as
>> a copy in your shop and a copy for your home office. But to copy
>> something for distribution to others is technically illegal and the
>> copyright owner can come after you! It is not merely about
>> 'morals', it is about your own risk to LEGAL EXPOSURE and lawsuit.
>
> This is very interesting so it would be nice to get a real legal
> opinion as I am NOT a lawyer and I do NOT know or understand
> copyright law as it pertains to individual use and I am not a moral
> person by any means (I live in a glass house and so do you and BMW).
>
> Does the BMW copyright really say what you imply?
>
> a) For example, does the BMW copyright really prevent you from
> PRINTING (for your own personal use) the beemer manual you purchased
> for $100 or the bimmer owners manual you downloaded for free from
> them? (Note the password protection can disable printing unless you
> manually remove that printing restriction as described in this
> thread.)

The copyright says that BMW can do as they please with their own data,
subject to a few limitations that come under the general heading of
"fair use". Printing out the entire manual does not in general
constitute "fair use" although since "fair use" is substantially
established by legal precedent rather than by statute there may be
specific exceptions to that general rule.

Your hundred dollars does not buy anything but what BMW provided. If
they chose to disable printing in the PDF they have every right to do
so, and under the DMCA the mere possession of software that
circumvents that restriction can in itself be a criminal offense.

What specifically you can do with what you bought should be covered by
the contract under which you purchased it--there should have been some
page of legalese that you had to agree to before the download would
start. To find out what you are and are not allowed to do under that
contract, you really need to read it.

> b) Does the BMW copyright say you can't convert the manual to
> Microsoft Word, Microsoft RTF, Adobe FrameMaker, JPEG, GIF, AutoDesk
> DXF, Adobe PostScript, etc.? (Note the methods described allow you
> do all of these conversions, and more.)

Again, you need to read the contract.

> c) Does the BMW copyright say you can't add or delete pages from the
> documents you bought or downloaded from them? (The methods described
> allow you to add and delete pages as desired.)

Once again, you need to read the contract.

> d) Does the BMW copyright say you can't cut and paste text from and
> those documents you bought or downloaded from them for use in an
> email or other personal use? (The methods described enable copy and
> paste of lines of text as needed.)

Once again you need to read the contract.

> e) And, lastly, (and perhaps most important for this thread), does
> the BMW copyright say you can not take a JPEG of a page of the
> beemer
> or bimmer shop manual and then annotate that page with your problem
> for the purpose of posting that newly annotated PDF to a bimmer or
> beemer forum for the purpose of obtaining help in repairing your
> motorcycle or automobile?

If you are not specifically constrained from doing so by the terms of
the contract, that last would very likely come under the heading of
"fair use", however if there has been no court ruling on the specific
circumstances you might still have to defend it.

> In summary, my question to the legal folks is, if all these five
> desires (printing pages, converting pages, adding or deleting pages,
> cutting and pasting text from pages, and annotating pages with
> photos
> for repair purposes) are actually expressly forbidden in the BMW
> copyright, then we should not be running or suggesting this
> conversion of password-protected PDF to password-free PDF files!

Removing a password without the permission of the copyright owner
would very likely be a violation of the DMCA, as would the possession
of the means to do so, so it's not terribly wise to be discussing it
in an open forum.

While the motorcycle industry does not have a watchdog agency with the
ferocity of RIAA or MPAA, there's still a remote chance that someone
at BMW might take exception to your activities and make a project of
ruining your life, which unless you are very well off is likely to be
the case if litigation commences even if you win.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Rob Kleinschmidt

Jan 21, 2009, 12:02:11 AM1/21/09
On Jan 20, 7:27 pm, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.use...@cox.net> wrote:
> Hans Barnhofter wrote:
> > On 29 Jul 2005 07:22:01 -0700, wilt wrote:

Did you notice the date of 29 Jul 2005 ?