How do I get Adobe Acrobat 6 (the writer) to be my default when I doubleclick on a PDF file in Windows 10 (with Adobe Acrobat DC, the reader, also installed)?

Arlen Holder

Nov 9, 2020, 1:19:09 PM11/9/20
How do I get Adobe Acrobat 6 (the writer) to be my default
when I doubleclick on a PDF file in Windows 10
(with Adobe Acrobat DC, the reader, also installed)?

This is really a question of how the hell Windows works anyway.

Does anyone know Windows 10 well enough to know how Adobe pulls this trick?
o Win+R > ms-settings:defaultapps
Choose default apps by file type:
o PDF === Adobe Acrobat 6
<https://i.postimg.cc/hjp0Hxzy/pdf01.jpg>

Choose default apps by protocol:
o URL: Acrobat Protocol === Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
<https://i.postimg.cc/NjDQsfPd/pdf02.jpg>

1. If I _only_ have Adobe Acrobat 6 (the writer) installed,
it's easy to make it the default when PDFs are doubleclicked.

Likewise, if I only have Adobe Acrobat DC (the reader) installed,
it's easy to make it the default when PDFs are doubleclicked.

2. But if I have _both_ installed, then, for whatever sneaky clever
Windows or Adobe reason, _only_ Acrobat DC (the reader) comes up
when I doubleclick on a PDF file.

Why?
o More importantly, how do I figure out what "magic" is happening?

How does Adobe "trick" Windows into opening the PDF in Adobe Acrobat DC
(the reader) when I clearly have the default for PDF files set to open up
in Adobe Acrobat 6 (the writer)?

This is really more of a question of how the hell does Windows work!
o That is, how can I debug what is _really_ happening when I click on PDFs?

It irks me I don't understand Windows well enough to understand why
when I doubleclick on a PDF, and if I try to set the default to the
Adobe Acrobat Writer, the _reader_ still comes up, even though that's not
what I want to happen.

Does anyone know Windows 10 well enough to know how Adobe does this trick?
--
Windows, and God, both work in strange ways when it comes to Adobe PDFs.

GlowingBlueMist

Nov 9, 2020, 7:58:07 PM11/9/20
Give the info at this link a viewing.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-file-associations-in-windows-2624477

Basically you get to tell the PC which file extension is opened by what
program.

In your case find the extensions Adobe is using and tell each of them to
use the Adobe Acrobat Writer rather the reader. Include doing those
pesky "Not Selected" over to what you want to open them as well.

GlowingBlueMist

Nov 9, 2020, 8:12:15 PM11/9/20
If my failing memory is working, leaving a file type as "Not Selected"
is supposed to cause a pop-up window asking you what program you want to
use to open the file. You just have to watch it when you then pick a
program as a check box or something like it might say to effect, "Use
this program every time for this file type." Don't pick that option if
you really want to be asked how to open that file type, every time.

Arlen Holder

Nov 19, 2020, 7:16:42 PM11/19/20
On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 10:53:32 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> I had installed Acrobat Reader a few days ago, even though I have the
> Acrobat11 on the computer.
> I did this as insurance because Adobe have been sending out queer
> popups lately.
>
> I then deleted the Acrobat Reader DC (via RevoUninPro) and this fixed
> the problem. The icons are back with the little Acrobat logo at the
> bottom.

Regarding:
o Adobe Acrobat problem.
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/2cgj1ocO/adobe-acrobat-problem>

Much to our chagrin, the Reader seems to wear the pants in an Adobe family.

You have the same temporal sequence as I had, (save for your Adobe versions)
1. For years, we were opening PDFs just fine with the Adobe Acrobat Writer
2. Then, the instant we additionally install the Reader, WHAM!
3. Only the Reader comes up when we doubleclick on a PDF file type
(no matter how we set the Windows 10 defaults!)

Yet, if we then delete either one, it works like we'd expect it to.
o It's only when we install both Writer & Reader that "funny stuff" happens.

Since I, like you, also get "queer popups" in the Writer lately (mine keeps
asking me questions but won't remember the answers I keep giving it!), we
both installed the Reader as a failsafe of sorts.

Much to our chagrin, the Reader seems to wear the pants in an Adobe family.
o I need to look at this again as I had tabled that problem set a while ago
--
There's "something" clever the Reader is doing that I haven't figured out.
o Here is the verbatim content of the original post in that thread:

"For some reason the latest large PDF thumbnails in File Explorer no
longer show the image with the little PDF symbol at its bottom corner.
Past images have kept theirs, so it's only the new ones.
Can anyone help to find the relevant settings?"

Arlen Holder

Nov 19, 2020, 7:33:47 PM11/19/20
On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 00:13:25 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> There's "something" clever the Reader is doing that I haven't figured out.

The Reader is, somehow, hiding the Writer from the Windows 10 Settings GUI.

I just saw the helpful note from Glowing Blue Mist in the other thread,
where I tested it out with some degree of success.
o <https://i.postimg.cc/C5TdD4Vs/pdf07.jpg> You have to use the old method

I just want to report, tenuously so, that I think what the Reader is doing
it not only registering itself as the default PDF editor (which is fine),
but, I think, perhaps, maybe, just maybe, the Reader is _also_ removing
the Writer from the purview of the Windows 10 operating system (somehow).

That is, with both the Reader & Writer installed, you'd "think" you could
just set the default PDF app to either one using the Microsoft settings:
o Win+R > ms-settings:defaultapps > Choose default apps by file type > PDF

But, for whatever reason, the _option_ to choose the Writer disappears
the instant you install the Reader (which is clever subterfuge indeed!).

Following the purposefully helpful instructions of GlowingBlueMist, I
resorted to the _manual_ method (the one we used to use in older Windows),
which, interestingly, works!

Why it works is, I think, perhaps probably due simply to the fact that the
Reader can't hide the basic fact that the Writer exists when you use the
"File > Open" GUI (but the Reader _can_ hide the Writer from Windows 10
when you use the "ms-settings:defaultapps" GUI.
o <https://i.postimg.cc/C5TdD4Vs/pdf07.jpg>

Weird. Huh?
--
The Reader is, somehow, hiding the Writer from the Windows 10 Settings GUI.

Arlen Holder

Nov 19, 2020, 7:49:02 PM11/19/20
On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 19:12:11 -0600, GlowingBlueMist wrote:

> If my failing memory is working, leaving a file type as "Not Selected"
> is supposed to cause a pop-up window asking you what program you want to
> use to open the file. You just have to watch it when you then pick a
> program as a check box or something like it might say to effect, "Use
> this program every time for this file type." Don't pick that option if
> you really want to be asked how to open that file type, every time.

Hi GlowingBlueMist,

Thanks for being purposefully helpful, as I had tabled this problem set
when I realized that installing the Adobe Acrobat Reader automagically
seems to have somehow, very cleverly, _hidden_ from Windows 10 the fact
that the Adobe Acrobat Writer also existed.

That is, somehow, rather cleverly, Windows 10's default Settings GUI
o Win+R > ms-settings:defaultapps > Choose default apps by file type > PDF
Somehow was _fooled_ by the Reader to "think" the Writer disappeared.

What clever subterfuge the Reader uses to hide the Writer as a choice of
default PDF editor is beyond my Windows 10 skillset - I just know it
happened to me, and, based on this thread today, apparently to others:
That new thread gave me the impetus to look again at this problem set,
where your suggestion of using the ancient old manual method of right
clicking on a PDF file and setting the "always open as" checkbox to the
Adobe Acrobat Writer worked just fine.
o <https://i.postimg.cc/C5TdD4Vs/pdf07.jpg>

I feel kind'a silly that I hadn't tried that, because, well, simply because
I wouldn't have thought it would give any different answer than Settings:
o Win+R > ms-settings:defaultapps > Choose default apps by file type > PDF
<https://i.postimg.cc/hjp0Hxzy/pdf01.jpg>

And yet, it does!
o <https://i.postimg.cc/NjDQsfPd/pdf02.jpg>

I do not profess to understand why or how the Reader manages to hide the
Writer from the Windows 10 Settings GUI; but it apparently isn't smart
enough to hide the actual file system from the old-style sequence of:
o RightClickContextMenu > Open with > Choose another app > More apps >
C:\app\editor\pspdf\acrobat\Acrobat.exe
[x]Always use this app to open .PDF files

In summary, thank you for your purposefully helpful advice to use the old
GUI and not to use the new GUI in Windows 10.

Apparently, somehow, I don't know how or why, the Reader seems to be
_hiding_ the Writer from the new Windows 10 GUI (but the Reader can't hide
the Writer executable from the old Windows "choose another app" sequence!).

Weird. Huh?
--
Sometimes the solution to the problem is to use the old tried & true ways!

Arlen Holder

Nov 20, 2020, 11:04:49 AM11/20/20
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 23:31:23 -0500, Paul wrote:

> [...]
> (maybe once every two weeks). Whereas the FreeReader thing
> is used all day long, and just reads stuff. No saving out
> (unless it's an Acroform or something).
>
> There are *lots* of softwares that don't play nice.
> For example, QuickTime Player used to steal all the
> file bindings, such that just about any file you
> touched, QuickTime would be like "pick me, pick me!".
> And you'd be "Jesus, not this again".
>
> You really have to be careful what you wish for.
>
> Some applications present a nice dialog, including
> "switch this off" so that during installation,
> no bindings at all are stolen.
>
> Paul

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 23:31:23 -0500, Paul wrote:

> There are *lots* of softwares that don't play nice.
> For example, QuickTime Player used to steal all the
> file bindings, such that just about any file you
> touched, QuickTime would be like "pick me, pick me!".

Hi Paul,

This is as off topic as the above, but the propensity for abysmal apps to
steal the defaults is why I stopped installing the iTunes abomination after
I learned it was not only untested bloatware, but that it _removed_
functionality.

Yup. You install the shockingly insecure untested iTunes, and, you _lose_
the ability to connect _any_ iPod on the planet to _any_ PC on the planet
and simply slide MP3 files back & forth. Sheesh.

Worse, it used to add Quicktime as part of its worthless bloatware suite,
where apologists like nospam repeatedly claimed Quicktime was a necessary
add on, and yet, it was simply utter bloat (even for mov files).

What's interesting about what Adobe did to me recently was the Writer
originally was set as the default PDF editor, and then, when I installed
the Reader, the Reader took them (which is fine), but the Reader also,
somehow, magically, hid the fact the Writer even existed from the Windows
Settings GUI.

Luckily, as GlowingBlueMist helpfully suggested, the rightclick context
menu allowed me to _find_ the Writer executable, but what's perplexing is
_how_ the Reader managed to hide the Writer from the Windows Settings GUI.
--
See also:
o A zero-day vulnerability in iCloud and iTunes on Windows PCs allowed hackers to install ransomware undetected.
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.freeware/c/hftPQAEZr_g>
o Yet again, Apple didn't test its Windows software for longstanding common vulnerabilities
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.freeware/c/JVI-6A3ko38>
o Is there any functionality the iTunes abomination does that can't be done, better, WITHOUT iTunes?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/PLzFxNis7jk>
o What functionality does iTunes do for you that you'll need to replicate without iTunes?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/v2jT-sWIKR0/gA45WfO6AAAJ>
o Apple iTunes and iCloud for Windows 0-Day Exploited in Ransomware Attacks
<https://thehackernews.com/2019/10/apple-bonjour-ransomware.html>
o The rise and fall of iTunes, Apple's most hated app
<https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/18650571/apple-itunes-rip-discontinued-macos-10-15-ipod-store-digital-music-wwdc-2019>
o Where can you find the OLD versions of SharePod freeware [any version prior to version 3.9.4]?
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.freeware/c/urk_6-GQM2M>
o How to access iOS media library on Linux or Windows WITHOUT iTunes?
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.freeware/c/jQlXf5Rlreo>
o An elegant solution to managing digital files on ANY iOS, Android, Windows, or Linux device SIMULTANEOUSLY over USB using zero additional software (other than the native OS)
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.freeware/c/H6T7KqzR_ww>
etc.