One more time: How to create an hypertext link to a PDF file using Hyperleaf?

QSinLG

Jul 24, 2009, 7:16:45 AM7/24/09
I have exactly the same problem as described in
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.interleaf/browse_thread/thread/5090f62f60e97573#.

I'm working with QS 2 / Windows XP Professional.
In my findings, the only way to make a link remain in a pdf is:
- use link type "Filename"
- do not check "adapt path [Pfad anpassen]"
- enter an ABSOLUTE path (like c:\archive\file)

But absolute pathes makes no sense, at least in my case (I want to put
the pdf on a CDROM, together with the hyperlinked target files).
BTW: I couldn't even edit/change such "QS-born" link in the pdf with
Acrobat (Rev. 5).

I have to admit that QS does not claim to be able to transfer
hyperlinks to pdf: according to QS help, hyperlinks only work within
QS and WorldView:
"Mit dem HyperLeaf Toolkit lassen sich Hypertext-Verbindungen
herstellen, die in QuickSilver und in WorldView funktionieren"
"[With the HyperLeaf Toolkit, you can establish links which work
within QS and WorldView]".

Does QS 3 offer hyperlink options which are really useful?

Thx

Udo Roskothen

Aug 7, 2009, 5:35:40 AM8/7/09

"QSinLG" <stefan.r...@de.nordson.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

-you need Acrobat
(free PDF from shbox unfortunally wil nopt work, same if you publish to ps)
-publish to pdf (not printing!)
-you can use relative path names like ..\dir\
-if you create Index and content files: make shure your ,6 file contains
(:pub-toc t)
Exampe start:
;;; saved lisp data
;;; -- DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE --
(:saved-data-version . 1)

(:pub-toc t)
Exampe end

there is a problem with sub-books, which should be solved with QS30-patch,
because publishing looks from the first level of the book. At the moment you
can not use shared inline as hyperlink in a complex book structure. We
opened a call for this, and i am at the moment not shure, wether the
problem is already solved.

e.g. we use:

-folder
--book
---file with link to:"..\..\pdfdir\file.pdf"
-pdfdir\file.pdf

and on cd rom structur we have
-languagedir\published_with_link.pdf
-pdfdir\file.pdf

so you see, the ..\..\ is resolved in the pdf to ..\ !!!
publishin looks from the publishing container and not from the ildoc
position!

IMPORTANT 1
next problem: file.pdf must exist. publish gives no warning on missing
files!
existing files at this place is normaly not the case, because we store the
file on another place far away from this location. using links does not
help. Maybe you have a unix filesystem (shure not, because of QS2.0) an you
can create symbolic links on OP-level

What we do: create a dummy of file.pdf 0bytes long on the right position.
If you have many links and do not know where, so you have to write a lisp to
find all your links or use the report function of HTK.
for this reason, we wrote a lisp creating hyperlinks and the dummy, if not
exist.

IMPORTANT 2
do not open the container with your book using a link.
eg. not the path c:\..desktop.ileaf\projects.ilcab$\mypublish
but: x:\ileaf_files.ileaf\projects.ilcab

otherwise the link in the pdf will be wrong.

Note to WorldView: publishing pl files will not work, you need
WorldViewPress (not longer supported)

IMPORTANT 3
there is a problem with bookmarks (i don't remember, if available in QS2.0
see if you have tools/bookmark in german Werkzeuge->Lesezeichen...)
maybe you need the attribute
see hotpatch# for QS3.0
53278 Incorrect bookmark levels using .bookmark-span-chapters.
set attribute .bookmark-span-chapters with value yes on the book you want
to publish

QSinLG

Aug 13, 2009, 3:08:04 AM8/13/09
Hello Udo,
thanks for contributing this workaround.

I talked to Markus Rometsch from german Broadvision Support. He found,
that hyperlinking once worked, but was bugged in current patches. He
is confident that within about 4 weeks there will be a new patch!
Let's see ...