A Corel Shortcoming

Mike Quigley

Mar 13, 1993, 7:33:03 PM3/13/93
> Joseph Francis writes:
>
> In article <21...@mindlink.bc.ca> Mike_Q...@mindlink.bc.ca (Mike
> Quigley) writes:
> >If you load a file into Corel which includes fonts, and you don't happen
> >have a particular font loaded or available, what happens is the font
> becomes
> >the default font (usually the first one, which is Avalon, like
> Avant-Garde).
> >However, there is no way to find out what the font REALLY is, unless
> someone
>
> If you edit the file with 'write' or whatever it is called, with no
> conversion, you can see the font names throughout.

What do you mean by "write"? The Windows text editor? Or is there something
in Corel (other than the main program) to edit text? I really don't have much
of a choice in this matter. The jobs arrive from a customer, and if the fonts
aren't there, I can't figure out what they are. Even if they give me a list
of the fonts, if more than one was missing, then it becomes a real pain to
try and track down which is which. Most of these files, by the way, do not
include large blocks of text (I think you are severely limited in Corel if
you want to include blocks of text anyway...). They are usually newspaper ads
and so forth which include little pieces of text ... one of these ads had
over 450 parts!

Tony Thomas

Mar 14, 1993, 1:25:20 AM3/14/93

In a previous article, Mike_Q...@mindlink.bc.ca (Mike Quigley) says:

>What do you mean by "write"? The Windows text editor? Or is there something
>in Corel (other than the main program) to edit text? I really don't have much
>of a choice in this matter. The jobs arrive from a customer, and if the fonts
>aren't there, I can't figure out what they are. Even if they give me a list
>of the fonts, if more than one was missing, then it becomes a real pain to
>try and track down which is which. Most of these files, by the way, do not
>include large blocks of text (I think you are severely limited in Corel if
>you want to include blocks of text anyway...). They are usually newspaper ads
>and so forth which include little pieces of text ... one of these ads had
>over 450 parts!

First of all, I would strive to have compatible fonts with my customer.
If he/she restricts him/herself to fonts supplied with Corel, you
shouldn't have a problem. If he/she insists on using other fonts, have
your customer supply you a copy of the WIN.INI file. From that, you
should be able to figure out the names of the fonts installed.

Or better still, a print file with the fonts downloaded. Or an EPS
file with the fonts downloaded.

--
aa...@Cleveland.Freenet.EDU/GEnie=A.THOMAS16/Compuserve:71541,3456
TONY THOMAS - SIGop - Audio Arts SIG - Cleveland FreeNet

Mike Quigley#2

Mar 15, 1993, 1:36:37 AM3/15/93
> Tony Thomas writes:

> First of all, I would strive to have compatible fonts with my customer.
> If he/she restricts him/herself to fonts supplied with Corel, you
> shouldn't have a problem. If he/she insists on using other fonts, have
> your customer supply you a copy of the WIN.INI file. From that, you
> should be able to figure out the names of the fonts installed.
>
> Or better still, a print file with the fonts downloaded. Or an EPS
> file with the fonts downloaded.

Hey, Tony, what an optimist you are! :-() It would be nice if customers were
as perfect as you suggest, but my experience says that this is far from the
case.

Having the WIN.INI file doesn't necessarily guarantee that everything will be
OK, either ... you can remove fonts from ATM and they stay in the WIN.INI
file ... at least with the version of ATM on the PC which I have.

Michael Radwin

Mar 15, 1993, 2:14:52 AM3/15/93
In article <1nuj4g...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> aa...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu
(Tony Thomas) writes:

>Or better still, a print file with the fonts downloaded. Or an EPS
>file with the fonts downloaded.

As far as I know, this can be illegal. By doing this, you are giving (or
taking) a copy of a font that may be copywriten.

Tony Thomas

Mar 15, 1993, 7:07:09 AM3/15/93

According to information posted on COMP.FONTS, font manufacturers do not
mond if you download fonts into the file to send them to a service
bureau. This is a common industry practice.

Joseph Francis

Mar 15, 1993, 1:35:11 PM3/15/93

Aha! You must tell your clients in advance to have all text reduced to
line segments in Corel Draw for the final version. I've already been
zapped a couple of times like this.