Uninstalling PuTTY without losing settings

UTAN Dev

Mar 14, 2016, 8:21:54 AM3/14/16
I'm upgrading from 0.62 to the 0.67 full MSI installer; the installer
complains that "A version of PuTTY is already installed on this system
using the old Inno Setup installer. Please uninstall that before running
the new installer."

How can I preserve my settings when uninstalling PuTTY? Thanks.

Simon Tatham

Mar 14, 2016, 8:39:40 AM3/14/16
UTAN Dev <UTAN...@utanzmedia.com.remove.z> wrote:
> How can I preserve my settings when uninstalling PuTTY? Thanks.

The old uninstaller should give you a dialog box offering to delete
them, with options Yes, No and Cancel.

In that box, 'No' means 'continue uninstalling, but don't delete the
settings'.
--
import hashlib; print (lambda p,q,g,y,r,s,m: m if (lambda w:(pow(g,int(hashlib.
sha1(m).hexdigest(),16)*w%q,p)*pow(y,r*w%q,p)%p)%q)(pow(s,q-2,q))==r else "!"

Kaz Kylheku

Mar 14, 2016, 11:54:46 AM3/14/16
Use the individual EXE's or ZIP for the combined utilities.

Delete the EXE's you don't need.

Doh?

joel.b...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2016, 2:58:02 PM4/22/16
On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 7:39:40 AM UTC-5, Simon Tatham wrote:

> The old uninstaller should give you a dialog box offering to delete
> them, with options Yes, No and Cancel.
>
> In that box, 'No' means 'continue uninstalling, but don't delete the
> settings'.
> --

Is there a proper method to silently remove the Inno version? I've tried calling the unins000.exe with "/sp- /verysilent /suppressmsgboxes /norestart" but still get this pop-up asking me if I want to save my settings.

Or better, is there a way to tell the msi installer to ignore the Inno version and just overwrite it? (I'm calling the MSI with "/qb /norestart" but am getting the msi error that UTAN Dev described regarding the Inno version being present.

I do software deployment for my company and am attempting to automatically/silently upgrade a larger number of computers via our desktop management software. I'm trying to "convert"/upgrade from 0.66 (Inno) to 0.67 (MSI). There's no end user present to answer prompts, the idea is that all of this be do-able via scripting/silently.

Thanks for any ideas.

-Joel

joel.b...@gmail.com

May 24, 2016, 5:29:13 PM5/24/16
I solved this by manually removing Putty prior to running the .msi installer:

-first delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PuTTY_is1 registry key.

-then remove the C:\Program Files (x86)\PuTTY directory
(Your paths may be slightly different if you are not running on 64bit windows.)

I only had to remove the registry key to get the .msi installer to continue, but removed the Program Files directory also so that the old uninstallers were no longer present in the Program Files directory.

-Joel

jason...@academe.co.uk

Feb 22, 2017, 6:46:20 AM2/22/17
On Monday, 14 March 2016 12:39:40 UTC, Simon Tatham wrote:
> UTAN Dev <UTAN...@utanzmedia.com.remove.z> wrote:
> > How can I preserve my settings when uninstalling PuTTY? Thanks.
>
> The old uninstaller should give you a dialog box offering to delete
> them, with options Yes, No and Cancel.
>
> In that box, 'No' means 'continue uninstalling, but don't delete the
> settings'.
> --

Thank you. Just went from 0.60 to 0.68 doing this, and all settings have been preserved.

fosp...@gmail.com

May 10, 2018, 1:10:11 PM5/10/18
I couldn't find the answer from googling, so hoping someone here could help. I am also looking to upgrade while preserving saved sessions using MSI install, but in silent mode. Is there an uninstall switch that allows sessions to be not deleted, or do the saved sessions are just simply not cleaned up from an uninstall. Thanks in advance.
- Ben

Jacob Nevins

May 10, 2018, 1:35:46 PM5/10/18
I'm not clear whether you are upgrading from an Inno Setup installer
(like the OP), or from an MSI installer.

If upgrading from an MSI installer: that doesn't ever delete saved
sessions. So you don't need to do anything special.

If upgrading from Inno Setup: hopefully
<https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/win-silent-uninstall.html>
answers your question.

Ben

May 10, 2018, 2:02:13 PM5/10/18
Thanks for the quick response. Just needed some clarification with the article. I have users with versions 0.67 and older. Does this mean that uninstalling those versions will not be silent and always be prompted to decide whether to remove saved sessions?

Jacob Nevins

May 10, 2018, 3:29:29 PM5/10/18
Yes; if you just run the 0.67 (or earlier) Inno Setup uninstaller, your
users will be prompted. You can use one of the methods described in the
link above to avoid this.

Ben

May 10, 2018, 4:16:36 PM5/10/18
Got it. Thanks again Jacob.
Message has been deleted

jHackenthal

Jun 1, 2020, 12:16:43 PM6/1/20
<gavin...@camelotgroup.co.uk> wrote:
> is the uninstaller available?

PuTTy stores it’s settings in the registry. If you are using a uninstall
package then export those from the registry to file.

AFAIK those values should remain.

Personally on win systems I have a \Bin directory that I drop putty and
similar distributed programs then add that as a system env for everyone to
use.