Original DEC vt320 and German Umlauts

Michael Bierenfeld

Jan 17, 2022, 5:09:54 PM1/17/22
Hello,
I am happily running a vintage VT320 on my Linux Box with

/sbin/agetty -o -p -- \u --keep-baud 115200,38400,9600 ttyS0 vt320

Problem is that the German Umlauts are not displayed correctly. In override.conf for the systemd-service I have configured :

[Service]
Environment=TERM=vt320
Environment=LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
Environment=LANG=en_US.UTF-8
Environment=LANGUAGE=en_US:en

Does anybody havre the correct settings already figured out ? Cursor keys and delete / erase have been solved by using 7 Bit Controls in the terminal settings.

Regards

Michael

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Jan 18, 2022, 12:33:49 AM1/18/22
In article <ebb8d8c6-8d79-4fea...@googlegroups.com>,
I am typing this on a real VT320 and everything displays correctly. It
is connected to a VMS system.

Is the problem the settings of the terminal or some setting on linux?

Lars Brinkhoff

Jan 18, 2022, 2:48:40 AM1/18/22
Michael Bierenfeld wrote:
> Problem is that the German Umlauts are not displayed correctly. In
> override.conf for the systemd-service I have configured :
>
> [Service]
> Environment=TERM=vt320
> Environment=LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

The VT320 will not understand UTF-8. Can you try ISO 8859-1?
Test printf '\x303' which should display Ä.

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Jan 18, 2022, 4:32:55 AM1/18/22
In article <7wsftl4...@junk.nocrew.org>, Lars Brinkhoff
The VT320 probably doesn't understand ISO 8859-1 either, but rather the
Dec Multinational Character Set. However, except for a few rather rare
characters, the two are identical.

Michael Bierenfeld

Jan 18, 2022, 1:33:28 PM1/18/22
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) schrieb am Dienstag, 18. Januar 2022 um 10:32:55 UTC+1:

> The VT320 will not understand UTF-8. Can you try ISO 8859-1?
> Test printf '\x303' which should display Ä.

Environment=LC_ALL=de_DE.ISO-8859-1
Environment=LANG=de_DE.ISO-8859-1

Does the trick perfectly.