ASET (Authoring & Delivery System for Education and Training

Danny Doyle

Nov 3, 2023, 1:58:36 PM11/3/23
I only came across this site a few minutes ago, so doubt that anyone is still posting messages on or accessing the site. Still, hope springs eternal in the human breast, so perhaps there may still be someone who can help me find a copy of the ASET user manual/PRM/guide.

Although I've found quite a few references to the ASET application through Google searches, I've had no luck in locating any real documentation, so would love to hear from anyone who might me able to offer advise or help me in my search.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Best wishes,

Danny

Scott Lurndal

Nov 3, 2023, 6:11:34 PM11/3/23
Danny Doyle <db.d...@gmail.com> writes:
>I only came across this site a few minutes ago, so doubt that anyone is sti=
>ll posting messages on or accessing the site. Still, hope springs eternal i=
>n the human breast, so perhaps there may still be someone who can help me f=
>ind a copy of the ASET user manual/PRM/guide.=20
>
>Although I've found quite a few references to the ASET application through =
>Google searches, I've had no luck in locating any real documentation, so wo=
>uld love to hear from anyone who might me able to offer advise or help me i=
>n my search.
>
>Many thanks in advance for any replies.

The IPF 2200 manual seems to indicate that the ASET documentation
is in SYS$LIB*UA$TUTORIAL$file.

Andrew

Nov 3, 2023, 6:24:11 PM11/3/23
That filename is longer than 12 characters, I suspect you mean
SYS$LIB*UA$TUTORIAL$.
Is that part of standard IPF? I no longer have access to a 2200 and I
can't remember if IPF has additional sub-components or just the one base
product. Years ago there were products such as IPFCONT, IPFCMDL,
IPFPROC, IPFUA and probably IPFTUT. I seem to remember most of these
were later folded into one product - and IPFSQL was dropped - but can't
remember if there were any left over.

Scott Lurndal

Nov 4, 2023, 11:51:16 AM11/4/23
Andrew <Do...@hyperspace.vogon.gov> writes:
>Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> Danny Doyle <db.d...@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I only came across this site a few minutes ago, so doubt that anyone is sti=
>>> ll posting messages on or accessing the site. Still, hope springs eternal i=
>>> n the human breast, so perhaps there may still be someone who can help me f=
>>> ind a copy of the ASET user manual/PRM/guide.=20
>>>
>>> Although I've found quite a few references to the ASET application through =
>>> Google searches, I've had no luck in locating any real documentation, so wo=
>>> uld love to hear from anyone who might me able to offer advise or help me i=
>>> n my search.
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance for any replies.
>>
>> The IPF 2200 manual seems to indicate that the ASET documentation
>> is in SYS$LIB*UA$TUTORIAL$file.
>>

>That filename is longer than 12 characters, I suspect you mean
>SYS$LIB*UA$TUTORIAL$.

Probably. I was on the Burroughs side and our only exposure
to the 2200 was via Mapper.

The manual is available on the unisys website (78333754-002.pdf).

There was supposed to be a space before the word file.

Danny Doyle

Nov 4, 2023, 1:13:29 PM11/4/23

Danny Doyle

Nov 4, 2023, 1:23:13 PM11/4/23
On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 3:51:16 PM UTC, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Hi Scott, Doug,

Thanks so much for feedback - greatly appreciated. Your updates takes me another step forward in locating a copy of the manual.

It would be really helpful to know which "unisys website" was being referred to in terms of locating the SYS$LIB*UA$TUTORIAL$ file.

Again, I thank you both for any additional information that you can provide.

Best wishes,

Danny Doyle
db.d...@gmail.com

Don Vito Martinelli

Nov 4, 2023, 2:29:16 PM11/4/23
Would you believe that the site appears to be down?
I went to https://www.unisys.com/support/
from there, "Documentation Libraries" and "Access Documentation".
If that had worked I would have looked for "ClearPath Forward® OS 2200
Servers and Software", but

> The connection has timed out
>
> The server at public.support.unisys.com is taking too long to respond.

Scott Lurndal

Nov 4, 2023, 5:10:25 PM11/4/23

Don Vito Martinelli

Nov 5, 2023, 6:01:31 AM11/5/23
Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Don Vito Martinelli <hyperspac...@vogon.gov.invalid> writes:
>> Danny Doyle wrote:
>> If that had worked I would have looked for "ClearPath Forward® OS 2200
>> Servers and Software", but
>>
>>> The connection has timed out
>>>
>>> The server at public.support.unisys.com is taking too long to respond.
>>

> Try this direct link:
>
> https://public.support.unisys.com/2200/docs/CP17.0/PDF/78333754-002.pdf

Well I'm not the one who wants this stuff - and have a couple of DVDs
anyway - but am starting to suspect that Unisys only support browsers
based on Google's Chrome, not even Firefox.

Scott Lurndal

Nov 5, 2023, 10:42:15 AM11/5/23
I used firefox, from linux, to download that PDF (twice, for testing)
yesterday.

Paul Kimpel

Nov 5, 2023, 11:27:18 AM11/5/23
I was able to access the docs via support.unisys.com, via
https://www.unisys.com/support/, and via the direct document link using
Firefox from Windows 10 this morning.

Paul

David W Schroth

Nov 6, 2023, 7:30:34 PM11/6/23
On Fri, 3 Nov 2023 23:24:08 +0100, Andrew <Do...@hyperspace.vogon.gov>
wrote:
Well, inspection of SYS$*DATA$ on the Operating System Development
home system shows, for IPF, the file SYS$LIB$*UA$TUTORIAL$.

I have no idea how IPF was/is structured, either then or now.