CTOS FAQ Version .01

Dale 'Cat' Robinson

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

This article is an FAQ about CTOS.
CTOS FAQ Version .01

The following topics are addressed:

1) What is CTOS?
2) CTOS Future
3) The Default Boot Date
4) Machine Types
5) Unix for CTOS?
6) Web Resources
7) To do (or things to be added)
8) ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

1) What is CTOS?
CTOS (Convergent Terminal Operating System) is a character based
multiuser operating system supplied by Unisys.

2) CTOS Future
Unisys is now only maintaining CTOS, no new product releases or major
upgrades are being planned.

CTOS Hardware production will cease at end of 1997.

CTOS Software Support ceases during 2000.

CTOS engineering software appears to been outsourced to Cybertech.

Unisys offers a migration solution based on a Windows NT server
running CTOS on an IOP board (486DX66 processor) (aka Integrated
Server).

3) The Default Boot Date.
Saturday March 1 1952 12:00am
Being of whom you speak to, it was picked because:
Birthdate of Greg Walsh, CTOS architect AND/OR
It was a date after a leap year.

Incidentally the maximum date is November 16, 2041. The clock rolls
over to 1 March 1952.

4) Machine Types

B21: Original model. 8086 or 8088. CPU/disk/floppy and monitor
mounted side-by-side on base. Monitor swivels. Guts in
box with copy holder. Maximum memory 512K (8088) or 1 MB
(8086). Cluster is RS422, runs at 370 Kbps.

B22: Original model, large disk in stand. 8086. Had bitmapped
monochrome video option. The disk was ESDI,
floor-standing, 8 drive. Up to 40 MB (!) per unit.

B24: Actually, came out after the B38. Cluster-only machine
(mostly used as bank teller workstations), no disk (an
option to use AT-bus based hard cards never made it to
market), no cooling fan. 80186 at 8mhz. 512K standard,
1M max. 1.8 Mbps cluster.

B26: First NGEN model. 6mhz clock. X-bus (some kind of 16-bit
wide Multibus with MCA characteristics, like
auto-identification protocol, etc.). 80186. 256KB base
memory expandable to 1MB with 256K cartridges. Video
options included: standard monochrome, 720x350; color
graphics. something like 800x600x16. Cluster runs now at
1.8 Mbps but is still RS422.

B27: First and only F-Bus model. 80186. Up to 1 MB memory.
Burroughs made these at its Flemington, NJ plant under
license from Convergent. There is a module which allows
F-Bus and X-Bus modules to be used with each other.
1.8 Mbps RS422.

B28: First 80286. 8mhz clock. 1MB base memory, extra memory in
1MB cards that snap in to side of processor module. Each
component is its own module (called a "brick" or "slice")
with X-Bus connecting bricks. Convergent had derivatives
of this (called Ngen-286), notably an integral, B39-like
unit called 286I. Follow-up model: B28-EXP, up to
12Mbytes. All run 1.8 Mbps cluster, RS422.

B38: 80386, 16MHz. 1MB base memory, extra memory in same 1MB
cards as B28. Uses standard X-Bus modules. 1.8 Mbps
cluster, RS422. Later, B38-EXP accepted up to 14MB of
memory.

B39: 80386. (Convergent: 386i) Started at 16mhz, later models are
25 or 33. Designed as server with extra memory and CPU
performance. Up to 32MB memory. Has base module with CPU,
memory, SCSI controller, floppy drive, and SCSI hard drive.
Has both X-Bus and SCSI connections, so can attach SCSI
expansion,
SCSI upgrade, and X-Bus modules (SCSI upgrade modules have
their own controller, and can be used on B39 as well as
earlier X-Bus models). Later models use RS485 cluster at
4 Mbps.

SuperGen:
SG5000: This is the X-Bus+ model. It has a base module with CPU
(486), memory, floppy, and hard disk, and slots where extra
hardware can be inserted and removed. It also has an X-Bus
so standard X-Bus modules can be used with it. One option
is a card envelope where AT-style cards can be enclosed,
then mounted on the X-bus+. Basic video adapter combines
VGA/SVGA modes with natice CTOS modes. Cluster (RS485)
runs at 4 Mbps.

SG2000: Follow-up on the B24. No-bus machine (no expansions),
25mhz 80386, up to 16 Mbytes. Same video as SG5000. Same
cluster.

Later: I think these are the ISA/EISA bus modules. Cannot use
X-Bus modules with these units, but can network with PCs
or other CTOS units. Can use either PC or CTOS keyboards,
I think.

[The main differences between PC's and Supergen equipment
seems to be the Clientcard/Servercard. And I believe the
difference between a Clientcard & Servercard is the
ROM chip]

Integrated Server:
More a software solution than a pure hardware product.
Windows NT 3.51/4 server running CTOS III on a IOP
(486DX66 based). The hardware is "owned" by Win NT, and
CTOS requests the use.
Performance is not as quick as a native CTOS server.

Multiprocessor systems:

SMP, a.k.a. XE520:
Released 1982. Floor-standing, monitor-less machine. Up
to 16 specialized processors, all of them 80186. Some
dedicated to disk IO, some to data communications, etc.
Outstanding switch or cluster master. Processors are
linked through a Multibus-based backplane.

XE550: Released 1983. Hybrid machine, ran CTOS as does the XE520,
but has up to 4 UNIX processors (Motorola 68K). Same
structure as XE520, made a lot funnier to the hardware
people by the need to accomodate Intel and Motorola
processors side-by-side. Good batch performance, abysmal
responsiveness for an UNIX machine.

XE520: Released 1991. Intel 80386-based version of the XE520.
Can accept most processor boards of the XE520. Adds a
20mhz 80386 board. Each board has up to 128MB of ECC
memory, two DMA-driven serial ports, two SCSI ports, two
independent Cluster comms at 4Mbps each. An option
daughterboard allows for more options -- V.35, X.21, etc.
Up to 30 processors (!!), only 8 of which can have their
SCSI channels enabled.

5) Unix for CTOS?.
In the early days there was a product called Distrix, it wasn't
popular apparently.

6) Web Resources
Unisys CTOS Homepage
http://www.pc.unisys.com/CTOS/index.html

Unisys CTOS Freeware
http://www.pc.unisys.com/Support/CTOS/freeware.htm

EPS - Makers of PC Cluster
http://www.eps.net/

Cybertech
www.cyberintl.com

7) To Do
Add something about the origins of BTOS/CTOS.
Cluster/Spur/Hub networking.

8) ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
I would like to thank the message writers of comp.sys.unisys, who's
names I've misplaced. If you know who you are, and would your name
here, please write.

-----------------------------------
Dale Robinson - c...@taunet.net.au

Balaji Srinivasa

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

Dale 'Cat' Robinson wrote:
[snip]

CTOS - Convergent Technologies Operating System
Unix on CTOS - Ctix

Am I correct?
-balaji at platinum.com

Tom Herbertson

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

>CTOS - Convergent Technologies Operating System
>Unix on CTOS - Ctix

I seem to recall the Unix that ran on the XE550 being called CENTIX.
But perhaps that was a Burroughsism.
---
Tom Herbertson *personal opinions only; not speaking for Unisys*
Unisys (Net2: 656 6427) Mail Stop 122, Mission Viejo CA 92691-2792 USA
Voice: +1 714 380 6427 mailto:to...@mpa15ab.mv.unisys.com (office)
FAX: +1 714 380 6560 or mailto:herbe...@home.com (home)
http://members.home.net/herbertsont/
"We have got to let go of this notion that for Joe Crummey to win
Merrill Markoe has to lose."

Martin Cryer

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Balaji Srinivasa wrote:

> Dale 'Cat' Robinson wrote:
> [snip]
>

> CTOS - Convergent Technologies Operating System
> Unix on CTOS - Ctix
>

> Am I correct?
> --
> -balaji at platinum.com

Mmmm, but I thought Convergent Technologies on the Mini/Miti Frames was
also called CTIX and that was not guested on top of CTOS, unlike the
Mega (Mugger) Frame, where it was.

I think there was CTIX/386 for the SPC100/200/300/340 systems too (which
became the U6000/30/31/50/51/55/60 systems - eventually running the
U6000/WS O/S - both were SVR3.2/386 anyways).

So from my memory, CTIX was used for most CT Unix derivatives, layered
on CTOS or not...

Am I correct?

Rgds - Martin Cryer

Bert Roseberry

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Tom Herbertson <TO...@mpa15ab.mv.unisys.com> wrote:

>>CTOS - Convergent Technologies Operating System
>>Unix on CTOS - Ctix
>

>I seem to recall the Unix that ran on the XE550 being called CENTIX.
>But perhaps that was a Burroughsism.
> ---

{snip]

I think it was CTIX. There was definitely a CTOS / Unix type
of operating system.

A couple of suggested additions for the FAQ:

1. Does anyone remember the game "RATS" for the earlier CTOS
boxes ?

2. A mention of Sirius Systems in Petersburg, Virginia would be
useful. I think their URL is: http://www.dogstar.com but I
wouldn't swear to it. They make an excellent suite of TCP/IP
products for those that want CTOS to talk to other computers.
Really good mail gateway that takes Ofis Mail and converts it
to SMTP mail. Can handle UUENCODE or MIME attachments.

- Bert
be...@erols.com

Dale 'Cat' Robinson

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

Before/During Fri, 10 Oct 1997 22:37:11 GMT, many people wrote:

<snip>

>>I seem to recall the Unix that ran on the XE550 being called CENTIX.
>>But perhaps that was a Burroughsism.
>

>I think it was CTIX. There was definitely a CTOS / Unix type
>of operating system.

Gad, the problems of relying on memory :-).

I thought I had read somewhere that the name was Distrix, but it was
awhile ago so.... I'll change it :-)

Was Ctix released to the market, or was it just demonstrated?

>A couple of suggested additions for the FAQ:
>
>1. Does anyone remember the game "RATS" for the earlier CTOS
>boxes ?

Yes! I have a copy of it ""somewhere"".

It runs under CTOS III, but is unplayable on a Pentium 90. I guess
that the timing was handled internally and not by referring to the
system clock.

There were other games available, but the names escape me. I'll have
to see if I can find that backup tape......

>2. A mention of Sirius Systems in Petersburg, Virginia would be
>useful. I think their URL is: http://www.dogstar.com but I

<snip>

I'll look into it, thanks.

Dale.

Huse, George V., Jr.

Oct 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/18/97

Randall Gellens wrote:

> In article <343e6706...@207.14.113.10>, be...@erols.com wrote:
>
> > 1. Does anyone remember the game "RATS" for the earlier CTOS
> > boxes ?
>
> Ah yes. That was very cool, especially considering the time (I think it
> was 1982).
>
> There was a later version called People.
>
> Anyone remember ATC (Air Traffic Controller)? That was too hard for me.

RATS could be played with the K1 keyboard, the K2 moved the arrow keys
to a different location and made it AWFUL difficult to play.

We learned to locate the shooter at a place diagonal to the opening of a
rat factory and just pump bullets at it until we blew it up. Finding
the last stragglers after destroying the last factory was a pain.

--
Buzz Huse E-Mail: mailto:buzz...@flash.net
Euless, Texas, USA Homepage: http://www.flash.net/~buzzhuse/

Huse, George V., Jr.

Oct 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/18/97

Randall Gellens wrote:

> In article <343cc698...@news.taunet.net.au>, c...@taunet.net.au wrote:
>
> > This article is an FAQ about CTOS.
> > CTOS FAQ Version .01
>
> Great job, thanks very much for posting it.
>
> Suggested addition: release dates for all the models; add CTOS versions,
> major features, and release dates.
>
> CTOS (classic): multi-processing, preemptive multitasking, true
> message-based, microkernal OS. The main OS routes messages, called
> requests, to services, which send responses. Had build-in security and
> networking.
>
> CTOS II: protected mode. Ran on 386 and later chips. Could address all memory.
>
> CTOS III: virtual memory. Demand paging. All memory is divided into
> 4k(?) pages, and each protected-mode program has an address space of
> 32(?)MB, of which each 4k(?) page is either present or not. System
> swapped in pages as needed, and tried to keep a few steps ahead of the
> program, bringing in data or code before the program needed it.

Waterfall ISRs, customizable OSs, customizable SAM routines, ISAM, Forms
Designer, Font Designer, Word Processing, Worksheet (what was it
called?), Pascal, Basic, COBOL, C, FORTRAN, Async Term Emul, BNET,
2780/3780 RJE, 3270, SNA, SNA RJE, SNA 3270, LU6.2.

That was a great system.

Hey, anybody ever forget to unlock the disk drive (Winchester) on a B22?

Larry Hylton

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

Yeah.
Lets go further back.
How about space invaders on the TD830.
I remember capturing a down load from a host on a tape recorder so
that I could play whenever I wished.

Hylton