Tandy Color Computer III interesting thing i found

14 views
Skip to first unread message

nospam

unread,
Mar 12, 2003, 2:52:15 AM3/12/03
to
press and hold <ctrl> and <@> and press reset.
you'll se the microware geeks who created their chips cause they pasted
their pic in them!
To my knowledge this only works on coco 3 who knows maybe it'll work on
yours!
I guarantee 100% safety to exit either hard or soft power off.
This also works on all coco3 emulators.

Mr J. Francis.


nospam

unread,
Mar 12, 2003, 2:58:42 AM3/12/03
to

"nospam" <zapbuzz@[nospam]iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
news:3e6ee...@news.iprimus.com.au...
Just to add i have the pic if requested ill post


ward

unread,
Mar 12, 2003, 8:42:09 AM3/12/03
to
nospam wrote:

Yes, this works on all Color Computer 3s. It's been known since about the
week the machine first appeared in stores.
--
Ward Griffiths wdg...@comcast.net

What kind of online content will people pay for? Well, there's porn.
And dating sites. And Weightwatchers. The hopeless, the hopeful, and
those in-between. Reason Online, 3/11/2003

Michael Black

unread,
Mar 12, 2003, 10:35:45 AM3/12/03
to
ward (wdg...@comcast.net) writes:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> press and hold <ctrl> and <@> and press reset.
>> you'll se the microware geeks who created their chips cause they pasted
>> their pic in them!
>> To my knowledge this only works on coco 3 who knows maybe it'll work on
>> yours!
>> I guarantee 100% safety to exit either hard or soft power off.
>> This also works on all coco3 emulators.
>
> Yes, this works on all Color Computer 3s. It's been known since about the
> week the machine first appeared in stores.

And Rainbow had a contest for alternate methods of getting the picture
to display. They sent out prizes to the first to respond with a working
example, in each state. I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but
I did win though being in Canada.

When they wrote a bit about the entries afterwards, most wee about
different key combinations; obviously people were just pressing away
until they found a set that worked.

I can't remember my solution, but it was software. I'd already been
disassemlying the ROM, to learn about the new hardware in the III,
so I knew enough of the details to do this.

Of course, they weren't the "chip makers" in the picture. They
simply dealt with the Microwave code that patched the previous CoCo
code so it would take advantage of the new hardware in the III.
And since it was patching, the scheme always struck me as a bit
messy, though you'd never see this until you looked at what was
there.

Michael

Roger Taylor

unread,
Mar 13, 2003, 1:15:31 AM3/13/03
to

"nospam" <zapbuzz@[nospam]iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
news:3e6ee...@news.iprimus.com.au...

I remember going into the local Shacks and pressing ctrl-alt-reset which
threw the 3 mugateers up on the screen, which some of the silly employees
couldn't figure out... like who loaded that software on there?, or I guess
we'll just turn it off and back on to get rid of those fellas. ;)

My favorite funny CoCo 3 picture was published in The Rainbow back in the
80's ofcourse, and was a cross between the Cheers gang, you know... the old
sitcom based around the bar. The postman, the fat guy, and Woody. This
artist drew the 3 mugateers pose but the guys resembled the Cheers gang.
Was hilarious.

Anybody else remember this picture? I still have that issue somewhere.

Frank Durda IV

unread,
Mar 12, 2003, 10:23:59 PM3/12/03
to
Michael Black <et...@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:
: Of course, they weren't the "chip makers" in the picture. They

: simply dealt with the Microwave code that patched the previous CoCo
: code so it would take advantage of the new hardware in the III.
: And since it was patching, the scheme always struck me as a bit
: messy, though you'd never see this until you looked at what was
: there.

Microware demanded and grudgingly got an 8K ROM budget, then they used 2K for
the ordered improvements and almost 6K for the photo. Tandy hardware and R&D
management were really, really irritated with Microware over this once it
was discovered, as they could have put a cheaper 2K ROM in instead and
gotten the wanted fixes. (In those days, the difference in price between
the 8K masked ROM and 2K masked ROM was significant.)

You don't know how many internal projects got put under the microscope by
hardware management after that stunt, looking for what we now call "Easter
Eggs" and as part of the witch hunt, killing what hardware management was
calling "trivial" or unapproved functionality. A lot of good things died as
a result of that stunt. It probably helped doom the Deluxe CoCo project too.


Frank Durda IV - only this address works:|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
<uhclem.mar03%nemesis.lonestar.org> | demand... A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
This Anti-spam address expires Mar. 31st |"A what?"
http://nemesis.lonestar.org |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!" - 1983
Copr. 2003, ask before reprinting.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages