M102 mainboard (PCB)

low...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2019, 11:00:56 PM8/22/19
Has anyone ever duplicated the mainboard of the
TRS80 Model 102?

Josh Malone

Aug 23, 2019, 1:31:32 PM8/23/19
On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 11:00:56 PM UTC-4, low...@gmail.com wrote:
> Has anyone ever duplicated the mainboard of the
> TRS80 Model 102?

Not to my knowledge, although the though has occurred to me a time or two. It would be nice to have a drop-in replacement board with modern power-supply features and one that takes JEDEC-standard ROMs.

low...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2019, 3:00:09 PM8/27/19
I ask because I have a T102 where the mainboard
looks a little fried and corroded. Assembly of a new
Board would be a nice backup should my repair
attempts fail.

If I knew how, I'd build a new board with a Z80
on board. I know there's Pi based retrofits out there,
but, no thanks.

OTOH, if this 102 board is fried, maybe a tear down
and scan would be better than parting out the rest
of the chassis and case.

Daniel

Mar 31, 2020, 2:59:37 AM3/31/20
On 8/22/19 8:00 PM, low...@gmail.com wrote:
> Has anyone ever duplicated the mainboard of the
> TRS80 Model 102?

If any engineers out there were to create a modern one with the same
form factor and with off-the-shelf components running basic, has wifi
capability, and a (ideally backlit) display capable of >300 baud, I'd
contribute to a kickstarter.

Are all you members of the bitchin100 listserv?

--
Daniel

Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

low...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2020, 8:29:38 AM6/18/20
Yes I am.

Daniel

Jun 19, 2020, 2:38:44 AM6/19/20
Somebody did this for the C64 and all the board variants. It is possible
to do. But changing teh CPU to a Z80 sounds like it would no longer be a 102.

Daniel

Jun 19, 2020, 2:41:21 AM6/19/20
low...@gmail.com writes:

> Yes I am.

I started this very conversation about doing a fresh board project and
got almost no support for it. birt and others agreed that there are
copious systems out there that can be used for parts.

Another user I am communicating with is actually building hardware.
We've discussed it at length because he has a few 102's that have
absolutely wrecked motherboards and need a replacement.

He's been using them for chip replacements.

I have a 100 currently needing a replacement 44102 to fix the display output.

Daniel

Feb 3, 2023, 2:27:50 AM2/3/23
I may just do it. I have a working 102 and one that works sans some bad
lines on display due to a bad display driver chip. It is fixable if I
can find a spare chip for sale as a drop-in replacement. I don't want to
sacrifice it if it is largely fixable.

I've been looking for a dead one on ebay for less than $20 but people
want crazy money for even a dead one. If I can get my hands on a dead
100, 102 then I'll get started reverse engineering the board in CAD and
see how it goes.

I may ask the bitchin crew if someone has a dead 100 they're willing to
donate.

Daniel