Tandy 1000

Robby Njos

May 2, 1994, 12:14:44 PM5/2/94

Hello,

A friend of mine has the chance to buy a Tandy 1000. It
includes a monitor, keyboard, and 5 1/4 floppy. The seller wants
$200 for it. Is that a fair price?

Thank you

Robby Njos
void sig() {
/*
* Robby Njos nac...@cadaver.acm.ndsu.NoDak.edu [NeXT-Mail]
* IACC Room 162 nj...@plains.NoDak.edu
* NDSU-ACM Consultant Manager
*/
}

kEN Colburn

May 3, 1994, 5:37:31 AM5/3/94
my friend bought a tandy 1000 someting X for $400 but it has a 40mb hd
and 3.5 hd floppy and VGA color mon. Not having a hd sucks bad.
--
i need a neighbor that has all the answers like Mr.Wilson on HI.
ezwr...@netcom.com Finger me for PXC key i know for a fact the govt

joseph m. grib, jr

May 3, 1994, 7:55:56 AM5/3/94

>Hello,
>
> A friend of mine has the chance to buy a Tandy 1000. It
>includes a monitor, keyboard, and 5 1/4 floppy. The seller wants
>$200 for it. Is that a fair price?
>

>Thank you
>
>Robby Njos

Robby,

For a Tandy 1000 (which is frankly a PC/PC-XT class computer), without a
hard drive and only a 5 1/4 floppy, you're spending a lot of money, and/or
will have to put a lot in it to get a useful machine. The original T-1000's
came with something like 256K of RAM, and a floppy drive. More RAM will
require a special board for the computer (if you can still find one), and
the chips (probrably looking at least $200 + to get up to the full 640K
that the machine can handle) a hard drive is costing about $400 + for a
"hard card" from Tandy (again if it's available, I bought one a few years
ago, and haven't seen one since). So you're up to about $800 already for a
machine that's probrably worth $150 at best on the used market. This is if
again, you can still get the parts you need to upgrade the machine. My
advice would be to check out the different magazines and set a price range
of a machine you're willing to pay for, since you will lose money no matter
what you buy, buy the best you can, and get all the accessories you can as
soon as you buy it. Buying the T-1000 you're talking about really won't do
much as it is, since most software (practically all software except for some
share-ware) takes more than 256K to use, and to make it reasonably civil,
you need a hard drive, since flipping floppies in and out gets old real
fast!! I remember seeing around the beginning of this year, a Tandy 486 SX
25 with VGA monitor and Windows, etc. installed already with a 130 MB hard
drive, for about $1000, and that machine will eat the T-1000 for a snack
where power/speed/versatility goes, so you may want to reconsider your
offer for the T-1000. BTW, if you want a cheap XT, I've seen them with
printer for about $250, including 640K RAM, 10-30 MB hard drive, and
monitor. I've seen them at several electronic swap fests, and computer
shows. So if you're only looking for cheap wordprocessing, etc. maybe that
will be the way to go for you. Each person has individual needs and wants,
but should be careful before taking out the wallet.
Good Luck,
Joe

novital...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2020, 7:10:22 AM7/11/20