How can you call Java from NonStop OSS Cobol?

Bob Campbell

Nov 15, 2023, 7:27:35 PM11/15/23
Rather than making a REST call to a service, we’d like to deploy the java to OSS and call from COBOL for faster response time. What are our options?

Bill Honaker

Nov 16, 2023, 4:23:59 PM11/16/23
On Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:27:33 -0800 (PST), Bob Campbell <bobcam...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Rather than making a REST call to a service, we’d like to deploy the java to OSS and call from COBOL for faster response time. What are our options?

Bob, to answer this, you'll need to say what technology(s) are used in the Java app.

For example, if the apps are Tomcat-style (listening on web ports), it's possible to use the NSJI library to switch from TCP/IP to $RECEIVE.
The resulting JMV can then be put into a Pathway server class, and COBOL can use SERVERCLASS_SEND_ calls.

Please share more detail so that appropriate solutions can be recomended.
Bill