Running Suns with no keyboard but using both rs232?

mcvax!cs.ab...@uunet.uu.net

Nov 23, 1988, 12:01:57 AM11/23/88
We are trying to run several SUNs (3/160 3/260 3/60) as servers, without
screen and keyboard but WITH both rs232 ports in use. Generally the rs232s
feed printers, but in one case it feeds SUNLINK X25. Booting the machines
causes problems..... We need it to work unattended, so that they reboot
ok after powerfails etc without staff on duty. In any case, after dumping
the machines we want them to reboot on their own.

The situation is not totally consistent.

If the machines do not have a keyboard, they look to ttya for console (so
say the documents) input . We want to stop them. The observed fault is
that they apparently boot (light patterns all ok etc) but no matter how
long you wait they never properly come on service...

We can find no way of changing the EEPROM to say YOU HAVE NO CONSOLE at
all, and dont you dare look at the rs232 lines...

Any ideas folks...
Dave Price
--
UUCP : { ENGLAND or WALES }!ukc!aber-cs!dap
JANET: d...@uk.ac.aber.cs PHONE: +44 970 623111 x 3164

Joe Michel-Angelo

Dec 9, 1988, 7:46:41 AM12/9/88
mcvax!cs.aber.ac.uk!d...@uunet.uu.net:

> If the machines do not have a keyboard, they look to ttya for console (so
> say the documents) input . We want to stop them. The observed fault is
> that they apparently boot (light patterns all ok etc) but no matter how
> long you wait they never properly come on service...

Chances are le' Sun is looking for a signal to come up on the RS232 port
and it's halting in monitor/prom.

You can tell le' Sun to use a tty port, which one, and even what baud
rate. But as far as I know ... You can't tell the machine it doesn't have
a head! How would you feel without a head!??!

If your problem is that you simply don't have a terminal, then make a
strange cable. Otherwise, you be oudda luck...(afaik)

----

BTW: here's how you change the console/tty baud rate (did I ever post this
information here??!)

Uucp: sun!jgath
Arpa: jg...@sun.com
Subject: Re: eeprom setting of scc baud rate

For port A:

Location 0x58 determines default 9600 (00) or user specified (12)

Locations 0x59 and 0x5a define the baud rate

300 01 2c
600 02 58
1200 04 b0
2400 09 60
4800 12 c0
9600 25 80
19200 4b 00
38400 96 00

Joe Angelo -- Senior Systems Engineer/Systems Manager
at Teknekron Software Systems, Palo Alto 415-325-1025
j...@tss.com - uunet!tekbspa!joe - tekbspa!j...@uunet.uu.net

Piete Brooks

Dec 9, 1988, 11:56:55 PM12/9/88
In article <16653.88...@odin.cs.aber.ac.uk> Sun-...@Rice.edu writes:
>We are trying to run several SUNs (3/160 3/260 3/60) as servers, without
>screen and keyboard but WITH both rs232 ports in use. Generally the rs232s
>feed printers, but in one case it feeds SUNLINK X25. Booting the machines
As I remember it, if you do not have a console connected, you can use the
"keyboard" connector to give you two more tty lines (ex- keyboard &
mouse). You have to make a magic connector which presents two V24
connections, make a couple of devices, update /etc/gettytab (or whatever)
& you're away !

ben ullrich

Dec 10, 1988, 12:17:00 AM12/10/88
i think the machine always has to have a console, no matter what. if you
don't have a bitmap, you must use ttya or ttyb. if you need more serial
ports than that, just one or two (depending on the existence of a bitmap),
you should get an mti / alm board.

if neither of these are possible, you might see if there's a way to set
the eeprom to use /dev/null as console, and / or re-creating /dev/console
with theh same device numbers as /dev/null (0,0) . this might do the
trick.

note that without a console, there is no way to do single-user admin or
maintenance... this is generally why a console is required, at least as
far as i can tell.
--
...ben

Guy Harris

Dec 20, 1988, 12:26:26 AM12/20/88
>i think the machine always has to have a console, no matter what.

The machine always has to have a console, no matter what. This is true of
most UNIX systems, and probably of a lot of non-UNIX "general purpose"
OSes out there as well.

>if neither of these are possible, you might see if there's a way to set
>the eeprom to use /dev/null as console,

Unfortunately, the PROM monitor doesn't know "/dev/null" from a hole in
the ground, so even if you could somehow set up the EEPROM so that UNIX
thought it was to use "/dev/null" as the console (you can't - according to
<mon/eeprom.h>, the only alternatives are tty port A or B, the B&W
monitor, the color monitor, or the P4 monitor), you couldn't get the PROM
monitor to do so.