cron output to an external email

Javier Villegas

Oct 23, 2003, 9:09:38 AM10/23/03
Hi

I am using contrab in Solaris 8 for make my Oracle DB Backup and every day I
saw the log in the Solaris Mailbox.

I need to send this log to an Internet email.

Do you know how can I do it ?

Thanks

Javier from Argentina

Barry Margolin

Oct 23, 2003, 11:03:51 AM10/23/03
In article <igQlb.319697$tq.2...@fe12.atl2.webusenet.com>,

Javier Villegas <ma...@impsat1.com.ar> wrote:
>I am using contrab in Solaris 8 for make my Oracle DB Backup and every day I
>saw the log in the Solaris Mailbox.
>
>I need to send this log to an Internet email.
>
>Do you know how can I do it ?

Pipe the command's output to a mail command.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.m...@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA

Javier Villegas

Oct 23, 2003, 11:41:14 AM10/23/03
Could you give me an example ?

Thanks

"Barry Margolin" <barry.m...@level3.com> wrote in message

Noel R. Nihill

Oct 23, 2003, 12:30:59 PM10/23/03

"Javier Villegas" <ma...@impsat1.com.ar> wrote in message

Please don't top-post.

> "Barry Margolin" <barry.m...@level3.com> wrote in message
> > In article <igQlb.319697$tq.2...@fe12.atl2.webusenet.com>,
> > Javier Villegas <ma...@impsat1.com.ar> wrote:
> > >I am using contrab in Solaris 8 for make my Oracle DB Backup and every
> day I
> > >saw the log in the Solaris Mailbox.
> > >
> > >I need to send this log to an Internet email.
> > >
> > >Do you know how can I do it ?
> >
> > Pipe the command's output to a mail command.
> >

> Could you give me an example ?

10 3 * * * /home/fatherted/bin/wurfle -z | /bin/mailx -s "Wah!"
som...@foo.bar.net

> Thanks
>
> > --
> > Barry Margolin, barry.m...@level3.com

--
Noel R. Nihill
UNIXŽ platform development
Motorola NSS
I *could* be arguing in my spare time.

Ron Blout

Nov 11, 2003, 10:41:08 PM11/11/03

> Hi
>
> I am using contrab in Solaris 8 for make my Oracle DB Backup and every day
> saw the log in the Solaris Mailbox.
>
> I need to send this log to an Internet email.
>
> Do you know how can I do it ?

try this: mail xx...@yyyyy.net < "/full_path_to/your_log_file" (leave out
the quotes)
where xxxxx and yyyyy are valid email "parts" and "your_log_file" is the
log you wish to send. Not the "<" redirect symbol.

I do this on a Linux box so it should also work for you.

> Thanks
>
> Javier from Argentina

Ron Blout

Nov 11, 2003, 10:49:56 PM11/11/03

"Ron Blout" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Javier Villegas" <ma...@impsat1.com.ar> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I am using contrab in Solaris 8 for make my Oracle DB Backup and every
day
> > saw the log in the Solaris Mailbox.
> >
> > I need to send this log to an Internet email.
> >
> > Do you know how can I do it ?
>
> try this: mail xx...@yyyyy.net < "/full_path_to/your_log_file" (leave
out
> the quotes)
> where xxxxx and yyyyy are valid email "parts" and "your_log_file" is the
> log you wish to send. Note the "<" redirect symbol.

> I do this on a Linux box so it should also work for you.

Also make an entry in a crontab. as root for example do: crontab -e and
put in something like
0 3 * * * /cron_scripts/producer_cron.sh > /dev/null 2>&1
this will cause a file by the name of test.sh conatain the mail
xx...@yyyyy.net < "/full_path_to/your_log_file" to run at 3am.

> > Thanks
> >
> > Javier from Argentina

Ron Blout

Nov 11, 2003, 10:52:35 PM11/11/03

> "Ron Blout" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Javier Villegas" <ma...@impsat1.com.ar> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I am using contrab in Solaris 8 for make my Oracle DB Backup and every
> day
> > > saw the log in the Solaris Mailbox.
> > >
> > > I need to send this log to an Internet email.
> > >
> > > Do you know how can I do it ?
> >
> > try this: mail xx...@yyyyy.net < "/full_path_to/your_log_file" (leave
> out
> > the quotes)
> > where xxxxx and yyyyy are valid email "parts" and "your_log_file" is
the
> > log you wish to send. Note the "<" redirect symbol.
> >
> > I do this on a Linux box so it should also work for you.
>
> Also make an entry in a crontab. as root for example do: crontab -e and
> put in something like (ITS GETTING LATE)
> 0 3 * * * /cron_scripts/test.sh > /dev/null 2>&1
> this will cause a file by the name of test.sh containing the entry:

Bit Twister

Nov 11, 2003, 10:58:45 PM11/11/03
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:41:08 GMT, Ron Blout wrote:

> "Javier Villegas" <ma...@impsat1.com.ar> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I am using contrab in Solaris 8 for make my Oracle DB Backup and every day
>> saw the log in the Solaris Mailbox.
>>
>> I need to send this log to an Internet email.
>>
>> Do you know how can I do it ?
>
> try this: mail xx...@yyyyy.net < "/full_path_to/your_log_file" (leave out
> the quotes)
> where xxxxx and yyyyy are valid email "parts" and "your_log_file" is the
> log you wish to send. Not the "<" redirect symbol.

If that does not work try
mailx -s "subject text" xx...@yyyyy.net < /full/ilename_here

kgy...@mailcity.com

Nov 14, 2003, 4:18:58 PM11/14/03
"Javier Villegas" <ma...@impsat1.com.ar> wrote in message news:<igQlb.319697$tq.2...@fe12.atl2.webusenet.com>...
Cerate an .forward file in Oracle DB Backup user's home directory and put
that email address where you need to send this log.

--Jules

Rusty Wright

Dec 12, 2003, 12:33:25 AM12/12/03
Make sure you use the full pathname for mail or mailx, whichever one
you use.