Problems installing SunPCi card in Ultra 30

Pete Young

May 5, 2002, 12:16:48 PM5/5/02

I'm having some problems installing a SunPCI card (300MHz processor)
in an Ultra 30, running Solaris 9 Early Access release.

Installed the card OK and ran boot -r. Not sure what devices should
appear, but I can't find anything new.

I downloaded the SUNWspci package version 1.3 and attempted to install
it with pkgadd. Post-install script failed complaining that
/etc/devlink.tab had failed to update correctly, and perhaps
the System OBP needs to be updated.

Maybe it does: .version at the OBP prompt says that I have v. 3.9.5,
from November 1997. I have downloaded 105930-06 from sunsolve, which
appears to be the latest version of the OBP for Ultra 30s, but
I am wary of doing something as potentially dangerous as an OBP flash
unless it is absolutely.

I know that there are plenty of people running SunPCi so I would be
grateful for any advice. In particular:

Is it possible to run one of these cards with OBP 3.9 or is the flash
upgrade essential?

What should I see in /dev and /devices if boot -r correctly detects
the card? (I have no way of knowing if it is faulty, other than to
see if the CPU fan is going round!

What should appear in /etc/devlink.tab, and is this a consequence of
boot -r or installation of the SUNWspci package? The postinstall
script appears to be looking for entries containing the string
pci108e,5043

Do I need to ditch Solaris 9 and go back to Solaris 8 in order to get
this card to work?

All comments, questions, thoughts and invitations to RTFM welcomed!

Kind regards,

Pete

Pete Young pe...@antipope.org
"Just another crouton, floating on the bouillabaisse of life"

Reed Scruggs

May 5, 2002, 2:13:50 PM5/5/02
Pete Young wrote:

You will need to update the prom. Not as scary as it seems. If you are
really worried about a power outage or something go buy a $40 UPS. I am
surprised that SOLARIS 9 did not make you upgarde to at least 3.11. You
may also need to flash the bios on the pci card. Read the docs and
proceed. Nothing to be scared of at all.

Reed

ansalmo

May 5, 2002, 6:43:35 PM5/5/02
"Pete Young" <pe...@antipope.org> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I'm having some problems installing a SunPCI card (300MHz processor)
> in an Ultra 30, running Solaris 9 Early Access release.
>
> Installed the card OK and ran boot -r. Not sure what devices should
> appear, but I can't find anything new.
>
> I downloaded the SUNWspci package version 1.3 and attempted to install
> it with pkgadd. Post-install script failed complaining that
> /etc/devlink.tab had failed to update correctly, and perhaps
> the System OBP needs to be updated.
>
> Maybe it does: .version at the OBP prompt says that I have v. 3.9.5,
> from November 1997. I have downloaded 105930-06 from sunsolve, which
> appears to be the latest version of the OBP for Ultra 30s, but
> I am wary of doing something as potentially dangerous as an OBP flash
> unless it is absolutely.

Pete,

Go for it. I had to do the same with my Ultra 30, and it works perfectly
with the SunPCI after the flash. Upgraded the CPU to a 500MHz version and
the memory to 192MB, and it runs Win2K really sweetly.

Robert Mullenax

May 5, 2002, 8:52:50 PM5/5/02
"ansalmo" <n...@NOSPAM.005.org.uk> wrote in message news:<3cd5b566$0$8511$cc9e...@news.dial.pipex.com>...

Do you remember what you had to do to get the 500MHz CPU to work?
Do you rememver which jumper settings you had to change? I was thinking
about upgrading my 400MHz SunPCI. Thanks

Cosmic

May 6, 2002, 12:17:53 AM5/6/02
In article <3AAA49B7...@swbell.net>,

Joel Lytle <jdl...@swbell.net> wrote:
>Has anyone toyed with overclocking the AMD K6-2's on the SunPCI card?
>Just curious.

Yes, sun actually shipped 350 MHz CPU's on many 300MHz systems because
the 300:s weren't made anymore. And you could always get a faster CPU..
SunPCI support up to 500MHz CPU:s...

JP4
---
Clock multiplier (1 means short, 0 off)

1-2 3-4 5-6 mul

0 0 0 3.5
0 0 1 5.5
0 1 0 3
0 1 1 5
1 0 0 6
1 0 1 4
1 1 0 2.5
1 1 1 4.5

JK3 JK2 JK1 clock (MHz)
1-2 1-2 1-2 66
1-2 1-2 2-3 60
1-2 2-3 1-2 75
1-2 2-3 2-3 53
2-3 1-2 1-2 66
2-3 1-2 2-3 60
2-3 2-3 1-2 75
2-3 2-3 2-3 83

from a link someone sent to me.
chuck

Pete Young

May 8, 2002, 4:50:28 AM5/8/02
Reed Scruggs <reeds...@attbi.com> writes:

>You will need to update the prom.

Thanks to Reed and Ansalmo for the encouragement. I bit the bullet and
upgraded the OBP to 3.27 (latest version for Ultra-30) and it went
without a hitch.

It also appears that SUNWspci 1.3 needs to be modified slightly in order to
work with Solaris 9. In case anyone else has the same problem:

cd /opt/SUNWspci/drivers/solaris

cp sunpcidrv.280 sunpcidrv.290
cp sunpcidrv.280.64 sunpcidrv.290.64
./sunpcload

and this will load the drivers and make the necessary modifications
to /etc/devlink.tab that was causing postinstall to fail.

The other thing that seems to break is the PCi card bios check,
performed by a call to sunpciflash -v -f /opt/SUNWspci/bios/sunpci.bin
The output of this command is

59.000 50.000

which when piped through cut the way that the postinstall does it

FILE_VERSION="`echo $BIOS_VERSION|cut -f3 -d' '`"
CARD_VERSION="`echo $BIOS_VERSION|cut -f6 -d' '`"

doesn't object, cos there are no fields 3 and 6. I suspect though
that I have version .50 of the bios on the card and need to update it.

Dr. David Kirkby

May 11, 2002, 5:09:43 PM5/11/02
Robert Mullenax wrote:

> Do you remember what you had to do to get the 500MHz CPU to work?
> Do you rememver which jumper settings you had to change? I was thinking
> about upgrading my 400MHz SunPCI. Thanks

Someone has given you the jumpers, so I won't repeat those.

I tried running my 400 MHz chip at 498 MHz and it ran fine, without an upgrade
to a 500 MHz CPU. I eventually dropped it back to 450 (or there about) to be
safer. I guessed it was not worth the cost of buying a 500 MHz CPU, when mine
was running fine at about 450.

--
Dr. David Kirkby PhD,
email: drki...@ntlworld.com