Problem in Solaris 10 Installation

Arrigo

Mar 15, 2006, 6:04:33 AM3/15/06
Hi everybody. I'm experiencing some problems in Solaris 10 CD installation.

I encounter a problem in disk selection, because I receive this error,
selecting the disk on which I want to install the OS:

This disk (c0t0d0) cannot be used to install Solaris software.

This disk drive does not have a valid label. If you want to use
this disk for the install, exit the Solaris Interactive
Installation program, use the format(1M) command from the
command line to label the disk, and type 'install-solaris' to
restart the installation program.

I exited the install program and tried to label the disk. The disk's
partition is:

partition> print
Current partition table (unnamed):
Total disk sectors available: 17672849 + 16384 (reserved sectors)

Part Tag Flag First Sector Size Last Sector
0 unassigned wm 0 0 0
1 unassigned wm 0 0 0
2 backup wm 34 8.43GB 17679025
3 unassigned wm 0 0 0
4 unassigned wm 0 0 0
5 unassigned wm 0 0 0
6 unassigned wm 0 0 0
8 reserved wm 17672849 8.00MB 17689232

and when I try to label the disk the error is:

partition> label
Ready to label disk, continue? yes

label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions
Partition 8 overlaps partition 2.
Warning: error writing EFI.
Label failed.

My hardware is:
Sun Enterprise 450 (2 X UltraSPARC-II 400MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 3.14, 1536 MB memory installed

Can you explain me where is the error?

Thank in advance.

Arrigo.

Arrigo

Mar 15, 2006, 6:33:19 AM3/15/06
I tried to resize backup partition so that it is:
partition> p

Current partition table (unnamed):
Total disk sectors available: 17672849 + 16384 (reserved sectors)

Part Tag Flag First Sector Size Last Sector
0 unassigned wm 0 0 0
1 unassigned wm 0 0 0

2 backup wm 34 8.43GB 17672848

3 unassigned wm 0 0 0
4 unassigned wm 0 0 0
5 unassigned wm 0 0 0
6 unassigned wm 0 0 0
8 reserved wm 17672849 8.00MB 17689232

partition> label

Ready to label disk, continue? yes

partition>

In this way, I can label the disk without error, but the installation
gives the same error. At the moment I'm re-formatting the disk.

Arrigo

Heinz Müller

Mar 15, 2006, 3:31:24 PM3/15/06
Whats with partition 8? Thinking it must be 7.

Please delete the partition and install the OS.
You can create the partition 7 if the OS is installed
or within the installation process

heinz

"Arrigo" <arr...@interac.it> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Arrigo

Mar 16, 2006, 5:10:03 AM3/16/06
I know that it must be 7, but I can't remove it. I don't know how it has
been created...

Arrigo

ibrahimabd

Jan 30, 2016, 2:25:21 AM1/30/16
Comparison of the EFI Label and the VTOC Label
The EFI disk label differs from the VTOC disk label in the following ways:

Provides support for disks greater than 2 terabytes in size.

Provides usable slices 0-6, where slice 2 is just another slice.

Partitions (or slices) cannot overlap with the primary or backup label, nor with any other partitions. The size of the EFI label is usually 34 sectors, so partitions usually start at sector 34. This feature means that no partition can start at sector zero (0).

No cylinder, head, or sector information is stored in the EFI label. Sizes are reported in blocks.

Information that was stored in the alternate cylinders area, the last two cylinders of the disk, is now stored in slice 8.

If you use the format utility to change partition sizes, the unassigned partition tag is assigned to partitions with sizes equal to zero. By default, the format utility assigns the usr partition tag to any partition with a size greater than zero. You can use the partition change menu to reassign partition tags after the partitions are changed. However, you cannot change a partition with a non-zero size to the unassigned partition tag

Quated from : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/817-5093/disksconcepts-14/index.html

DoN. Nichols

Jan 30, 2016, 9:48:48 PM1/30/16
O.K. Your :Subject: " header mentions problems, but I only see
listing of differences in behavior -- not problem. All of these
features can be worked with -- including you can have a number of
non-zero partitions with the usr tag. This does *not* force you to
*mount* the partitions on /usr --- or anywhere. You can set them up and
reserve them until you need them.

Normally, I've found EFI format on drives which have been part
of a hardware RAID array -- or a zfs software RAID array.

I've never had a disk which was in excess of 2 TB to date, but
if that forced me to EFI format -- I could live with it.

I presume that you know how to change between the two formats on
disks which allow it. You need to start the "format" program with the
"-e" (expert) option -- at that point, whenever you label the disk it
will ask which of the two you wish to use. (Probably in the oracle docs
page you pointed to, but I've got other things to do than re-read that. :-)

If any of these features are actually a problem for you --
please explain in what way they are a problem and perhaps we can offer
suggestions for work-arounds.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--