changing boot device on sun 3/60

1 view

Pankaj - Chowdhry

Jan 14, 1994, 1:58:13 AM1/14/94
I got a hold of a sun 3/60 that is set to boot off of a network. every time i
try to boot it searches for an ethernet adress. I have a scsi drive i can hook
up via the external port. How do i change the prom to recognzise and boot off
the external scsi. I hit l1-a during boot up and tried pressing b.. but don't
know the correct arguments. any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Pankaj Chowdhry
pun...@portal.cup.com

Kip J. Mussatt

Jan 17, 1994, 3:21:23 PM1/17/94
pun...@cup.portal.com (Pankaj - Chowdhry) writes:

>I got a hold of a sun 3/60 that is set to boot off of a network. every time i
>try to boot it searches for an ethernet adress. I have a scsi drive i can hook
>up via the external port. How do i change the prom to recognzise and boot off
>the external scsi. I hit l1-a during boot up and tried pressing b.. but don't
>know the correct arguments. any help would be appreciated.

You might try pressing <CTRL>-<C> and get the boot process to stop.
At that point, I think you will still be at a hardware prompt, ">"
Try typing,"boot dev (0,0,0)" . I think that should boot the scsi drive.

Corrections are welcomed.
-=Kip Mussatt=-
hamp...@matt.ksu.edu
--
SGI's are like F18's
SUN's are like F16's

Vincent Fox

Jan 17, 1994, 4:03:41 PM1/17/94
In <2hes03...@matt.ksu.ksu.edu> hamp...@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kip J. Mussatt) writes:
>pun...@cup.portal.com (Pankaj - Chowdhry) writes:

[]I got a hold of a sun 3/60 that is set to boot off of a network. every time i
[]try to boot it searches for an ethernet adress. I have a scsi drive i can hook
[]up via the external port. How do i change the prom to recognzise and boot off
[]the external scsi. I hit l1-a during boot up and tried pressing b.. but don't
[]know the correct arguments. any help would be appreciated.

>You might try pressing <CTRL>-<C> and get the boot process to stop.
>At that point, I think you will still be at a hardware prompt, ">"
>Try typing,"boot dev (0,0,0)" . I think that should boot the scsi drive.

>Corrections are welcomed.

Firstly, the original requester was correct, it's <L1>+<A> to abort the
automated startup sequence. The Sun3 was fairly primitive as well,
having no "probe-scsi" command, and no way to easily set the boot
variables. I attach my copy of the EEPROM stuff I have for them. My
procedure would be to abort the boot then do a ">b sd(0,0,0)" to test.
If those are indeed the correct disk numbers, then halt the machine, go
back the PROM prompt, and set them. The Sun3 does funny things with what
numbers it sees the SCSI ID as, which I always avoided by setting the
jumpers on the drive to zero, which is zero to the Sun3 PROM as well.
If drive is hardware set to zero, then the 0,0,0 will work.

Do a ">k 2" to hardware reset and see if it comes up okay on it's own.

From: rus...@skid.UK (Russell Bentley - Sun UK - Regional Support Engineer - Watchmoor Park)
To: gt1...@prism.gatech.edu
Subject: Re: Sun3: EEPROM settings?

* *
* DISCLAIMER *
* *

The contents of this file are intended to be read as
an example. This is not a supported product of Sun
Microsystems and no hotline calls will be accepted
which directly relate to this information.

NO LIABILITY WILL BE ACCEPTED BY SUN MICROSYSTEMS FOR
ANY LOSS (DIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL) INCURRED IN ANY WAY
BY ANY PARTY THROUGH THE USE OF THIS INFORMATION.

NO WARRANTY OF ANY SORT IS IMPLIED OR GIVEN FOR ANY
CODE DERIVED FROM THIS INFORMATION.

Here is a list of the common used EEPROM locations for a Sun3 & Sun4
system.

14 MBytes of installed memory (HEX).

15 MBytes to test during self test (HEX).

16 Display screen size.
00 - 900x1152
16 - 1024x1024

17 Watchdog reset function.
00 - Invoke monitor
12 - Restart self-tests and reboot

18 Setting default booting.
00 - The monitor polls boot device in this order:
1) xy
2) sd
3) ie, le
12 - No monitor polls. Boot from device in adress 19 --> 1D

19 --> 1D Boot devices.
73,64,0,0,0 - sd0
73,64,1,0,0 - sd1
73,74,0,0,0 - st0
69,65,0,0,0 - ie0
6C,65,0,0,0 - le0
78,79,0,0,0 - xy0
78,79,1,0,0 - xy1
78,74,0,0,0 - xt0
6D,74,0,0,0 - mt0

1E Not used.

1F Set the primary terminal.
00 - Monochrome monitor
10 - SIO A
11 - SIO B
12 - Color monitor

20 Change Sun banner.
00 - Sun logo
12 - Show banner from startadress 68 end B5

21 Turn keybord "click" on or off.
00 - Keyboard click OFF
12 - Keyboard click ON

22 --> 26 Specify boot device and filename when switch in "DIAG".
ADRESS - DESCRIPTION:
22 --> 26 - If 00,00,00.... then monitor mode
22,23 - Bootdevice
24,25,26 - Controler, unit, partition
27 - Not used
28,29.... 4F - Filename (76,6D,75,6E,69,78 = vmunix)

68 --> B5 Store custom banner. (If EEPROM 020: 12)

B6 --> B7 Ending banner. (If EEPROM 020: 12)

0D - Carriage return * mandantory *
0A - Line feed * mandantory *
BC --> 123 Store system configuration (who cares?).

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere,
diagnosing it incorrectly and then applying the wrong remedies." - G. Marx

Gary Goldberg

Jan 17, 1994, 5:18:24 PM1/17/94
Kip J. Mussatt <hamp...@matt.ksu.ksu.edu> wrote:
>pun...@cup.portal.com (Pankaj - Chowdhry) writes:
>>I got a hold of a sun 3/60 that is set to boot off of a network. every time i
>>try to boot it searches for an ethernet adress. I have a scsi drive i can hook
>>up via the external port. How do i change the prom to recognzise and boot off
>>the external scsi. I hit l1-a during boot up and tried pressing b.. but don't
>>know the correct arguments. any help would be appreciated.
>You might try pressing <CTRL>-<C> and get the boot process to stop.
>At that point, I think you will still be at a hardware prompt, ">"
>Try typing,"boot dev (0,0,0)" . I think that should boot the scsi drive.

This is from the PROM User's Manual - I used it to change the default boot
device on my 3/80. You need to change the EEPROM settings. You could do
this with the eeprom command that I know exists in 4.1.1UI, but this will
work as well, from the console monitor. This info applies to the 3/50, 3/60,
3/80, 3/75, 3/140, 3/160, 3/180, 3/110, 3/260 and 3/280.

> q loc - will let you change the byte value at loc.
> q [ret] - will step you through the locations, letting you change them
as you go. A q by itself will exit you back to the > prompt.

Here are some important locations and possible contents:

0x000-0x003 - Diagnostic Test Write Area (used by diagnostics) 4 bytes
0x004-0x009 - Diagnostic Area Write Counters (used by diagnostics) 6 bytes
0x00c-0x00e - Diagnostic Area Checksum *used by daignostics) 3 identical bytes

0x010-0x013 - Date of Last System Hardware Update (Total seconds since 1/1/70)
0x010 - bits 31-24
0x011 - bits 23-16
0x012 - bits 15-8
0x013 - bits 7-0

0x014 - Total number in hex of installed memory in the system. 1 byte
0x015 - Total number of MB (in hex) to test prior to booting.
Firmware ignores this value if diagnostic switch set to DIAG.
1 byte.

0x016 - Monitor Screen Size (1 byte)
Set to:
0x00 for 1152x900 (Most Sun-3 Systems)
0x12 1024x1024
0x13 1600x1280 (HiRes for Sun 3/200 series)
0x14 1440x1440

0x017 - Watchdog Reset Action (1 byte)
Set to:
0x00 Watchdog Reset will fall into Boot PROM Monitor
0x12 Watchdog Reset will cause a Power On Reset

0x018 - Operating System Boot Up (1 byte)
Set to:
0x00 Poll devices for the SunOS (i.e., xy, sd, etc)
0x12 Use EEPROM specified boot device

0x019-0x01d - Boot device (the one you wanted! - 5 bytes)

0x019-0x01a Default boot device (see table below)
0x01b Controller number in hex
0x01c Unit number in hex
0x01d Partition number in hex

Table for 0x019-0x01d:

OS Boot Device: Ox019: 0x01a:

xy: Xylogics 450/451 disk 0x78 0x79
xd: Xylogics Disk (7053) 0x78 0x64
sd: SCSI disk (!) 0x73 0x64
ie: Intel Ethernet 0x69 0x65
le: AMD (Lance) Ethernet 0x6c 0x65
st: SCSI 1/4" Tape 0x73 0x74
xt: Xylogics 1/2" Tape 0x78 0x74
mt: Tapemaster 1/2" Tape 0x6d 0x74

(So if you want to boot a 3/50, 3/60, 3/75/140, 1/160/180, 3/110,
3/260, 3/280 or 3/80 from SCSI sd(0,0,0), set EEPROM locations
0x019-0x01d to 73 64 00 00 00.)

0x01e - Keyboard type (1 byte) Not implemented

0x01f - Primary Terminal (1 byte)
Set to:
0x00 Use B/W Monitor (monochrome on-board frame buffer)
0x10 Use Serial Port A
0x11 Use Serial Port B
0x12 Use Color Monitor (CG2, CG3, CG5, or color daughter board)
0x20 Use single of first head of multiheaded P4 board

0x020 - Display Sun Banner (You can have the default Sun logo or
a custom logo) (1 byte)
Set to:
0x00 Display the Sun Banner
0x12 Display Custon Banner

0x021 - KeyClick on/off (1 byte)
Set to:
0x00 Turn Click OFF
0x12 Turn Click ON

0x022-0x026 - Diagnostic Boot Device (5 bytes)
(See Boot device table above)

0x028-0x04f - Diagnostic boot path (40 bytes) (Not sure what this does)

0x050-0x051 - HiRes Screen Size (2 bytes)
0x050 is the # of columns (default 50 is hex for 80 columns)
0x051 is the # of rows (default 22 is hex for 34 rows)

0x058 - SCC Port A Default Baud Rate (1 byte)
Set to:
0x00 Use Default Baud Rate of 9600 baud
0x12 Use EEPROM defined baud rate (see below)

0x059-0x05a - SCC Port A Baud Rate (2 bytes)

Table:

Baud Rate: Hex Equiv: 0x059: 0x05a:

300 0x012c 0x01 0x2c
600 0x0258 0x02 0x58
1200 0x04b0 0x04 0xb0
2400 0x0960 0x09 0x60
4800 0x12c0 0x12 0xc0
9600 0x2580 0x25 0x80
19200 0x4b00 0x4b 0x00
38400 0x9600 0x96 0x00

(Note: SunOS 4.1.1 apparently ignores what you set when it comes
to configuring the serial ports, so this isn;t as important as it looks.)

0x05b - SCC Port A DTR/RTS (1 byte)
Set to:
0x00 Assert the DTS and RTS signals
0x12 Do NOT assert the DTS and RTS signals

0x060 - SCC Port B Default Baud Rate (1 byte)
0x061-0x062 - SCC Port B Baud Rate (2 bytes)
0x063 - SCC Port B DTR/RTS (1 byte)
(see table and infor for Port A, above)

0x068-0x0b7 - Custom Banner (80 bytes)
These 80 bytes represent a character buffer for a user
specified custom banner to be displayed instead of the
Sun banner, when the value of EEPROM location 0x020 is
0x012. All locations up to the terminator (0x00) are
displayed; each byte not filled with the hexadecimal
equivalent of an ASCII character should contain zeroes.

0x0b8-0x0b9 - Test Pattern (2 bytes)
These two bytes are used to provide a known data test pattern
to check the EEPROM data lines.
0x0b8 is 0xAA
0x0b9 is 0x55

Then there are 208 bytes after this that represent the hardware config
of the system. The system configuration is divided into 12 "slot
configuration" blocks of 16 bytes each, and 1 setinel block of 16 bytes
to demote the end of the configuration table. This part is abolutely
inpenetrable for me, but if you need help with this, send me a message
and I'll give you further details on what the book says.

Hope this helps. Could this be forwarded to the FAQ maintainers so
others can benefit? - Gary

--
- .sig under construction - No 2-way radios during daylight hours.
Gary Goldberg KA3ZYW Bowie, MD - SysAdmin, Census Bureau