Re: Help-QIC 11/24 60MB Tapes need to be read by QIC 150MB Tape drive

mighty...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2016, 9:21:04 PM7/3/16
On Thursday, August 21, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Tracy Carlson wrote:
> Does anyone know the command that allows a QIC150 150 MB tape drive to read
> a QIC11 or QIC24 60MB tape. I have been told that the tape device has to
> be told which device driver to use. I am on Solaris 1.1.2. The command
> that use to work prior to the new tape drive is as follows:
>
> tar tvf /dev/rst0 (this allowed us to read the tape..no longer works, the
> tape drive just churns away) Does this have anything to do with block
> size?
>
> The old tape drive died and I really need to access them and try to migrate
> the 60MB to the 150MB tapes.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tracy Carlson
> car...@vfc.com

I see this thread is nearly 19 years old! But it's a high Google hit on the work that I've done reading QIC-11 and QIC-24 format tapes, so for anyone else who finds it, please visit my site at:

http://QICreader.com

For any help reading or translating tapes of these formats, and other QIC tape formats of this vintage.

Best,
-AJ