Samba for Solaris

Donald S. Dunbar

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Thanks to those of you who responed to my previous post concerning
networking a Sun SS20 (Solaris 2.6) to a PC (W95). Several recommended
Samba as a solution. I've downloaded the latest version, read much of
the documentation, visited the Samba web site, and persused the
SMB group. I've failed to find a sample smb.conf file for Solaris 2.x.
Does anyone have one or know of documentation specifically for
Solaris<->W95 networks? I'd rather not start from scratch or a generic
Unix file. Thanks.

--
D.S. Dunbar, Ph.D. (d...@oar.com)
Ocean Applied Research Ltd.

Irfan Bhatty

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98
to Donald S. Dunbar

Following is one of my simple and straightforward smb.conf:

local master = No
browse list = No
;
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = yes
read only = no
create mode = 0755
;
[tmp]
comment = Temporary space
path = /tmp
read only = no
public = yes

Hope it helps,

-Irfan

David Polete

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Donald S. Dunbar wrote:

> Thanks to those of you who responed to my previous post concerning
> networking a Sun SS20 (Solaris 2.6) to a PC (W95). Several recommended
> Samba as a solution. I've downloaded the latest version, read much of
> the documentation, visited the Samba web site, and persused the
> SMB group. I've failed to find a sample smb.conf file for Solaris 2.x.

the smb.conf file is independent of the operating system. well,
independent in the sense of system facilities. the only relation
the smb.conf has to the OS is the directory structure used for
the user homes, administrator defined shares, etc. this is _not_
true of the compiling process.

by your posting, i assume you already have an executable binary
just not the smb.conf? you should just "jump in with both feet"
into the example smb.conf and tweak it for your environment. for
me the following worked:

1) i put the samba package in /usr/local/samba.
2) smb.conf thus lives in /usr/local/samba/lib.
3) read the SMB.CONF(5) man pages through a couple
times so you have a good idea about what the
parameters all mean.
4) i created a directory for all of the pee-cee stuff under
/home/pc/users
/home/pc/apps
/home/pc/shared
/home/pc/profiles
/home/pc/netlogon
etc.
5) start tweaking and testing -- get familiar.

its really not as bad as it might seem. just make sure
to read all the text files concerning troubleshooting,
domains, passwords, win95, etc.

> Does anyone have one or know of documentation specifically for
> Solaris<->W95 networks? I'd rather not start from scratch or a generic
> Unix file. Thanks.

again, once compiled and installed its pretty much OS independent.
if you need to have your machine participate as a PDC (primary
domain controller) or BDC (backup yada yada yada) then you'll
need to look into NT-DOM. there isn't a stable release yet so
i haven't touched it; maybe later..... its also on the samba
home page.

believe me, its not bad at all. i'm mostly a UNIX type, and avoid
M$ junk as much as possible, but making samba go wasn't a problem.

have fun,
dp

have fun,
dp

D. J. Hagberg

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

David Polete (dpo...@exair.ml.org) wrote:

: Donald S. Dunbar wrote:
: >
: > Thanks to those of you who responed to my previous post concerning
: > networking a Sun SS20 (Solaris 2.6) to a PC (W95). Several recommended
: > Samba as a solution. I've downloaded the latest version, read much of
: > the documentation, visited the Samba web site, and persused the
: > SMB group. I've failed to find a sample smb.conf file for Solaris 2.x.

I have a Solaris package for Samba 1.9.18p2 that we use in-house.
Binaries are installed under /opt/GAIsmb, configuration under /etc/samba.
Sample smb.conf and related files are created at the first install.

Some of it is a bit specific to our site, but it may help you...

http://glatmos.com/~dhagberg/GAIsmb.pkg.gz

Gunzip the file and then as root, run pkgadd -d /wherever/GAIsmb.pkg

Hope this helps,

-=- D. J.

po...@hotmail.com

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

In article <3522C703...@oar.com>, "Donald S. Dunbar" <d...@oar.com> wrote:
> Thanks to those of you who responed to my previous post concerning
> networking a Sun SS20 (Solaris 2.6) to a PC (W95). Several recommended
> Samba as a solution. I've downloaded the latest version, read much of
> the documentation, visited the Samba web site, and persused the
> SMB group. I've failed to find a sample smb.conf file for Solaris 2.x.
> Does anyone have one or know of documentation specifically for
> Solaris<->W95 networks? I'd rather not start from scratch or a generic
> Unix file. Thanks.

A tip for when you get samba working: be sure to read the ENCRYPTION.txt file in the samba docs. It talks about various authentication mechanisms NT uses, and might be applicable to Win95sp1 (I remember that it is). If you want to avoid the whole mess, don't use encrypted passwords (encrypted passwords = no), which is fine for the old home network.

Andy Thomson

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

In article <pobak-08049...@nemo.ibex.com>, po...@hotmail.com
says...
; The global setting for a default install
; Copyright(C) John H Terpstra - 1997
;======================= Global
Settings====================================
[global]

; workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: REDHAT4
workgroup = PRIVATE

; comment is the equivalent of the NT Description field
comment = Samba Server

; printing = BSD or SYSV or AIX, etc.
printing = bsd
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes

; Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to
/etc/passwd
; guest account = pcguest
log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

; Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb)
max log size = 50

; Options for handling file name case sensitivity and / or preservation
; Case Sensitivity breaks many WfW and Win95 apps
; case sensitive = yes
short preserve case = yes
preserve case = yes

; Security and file integrity related options
lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
locking = yes
; Strict locking is available for paranoid locking situations only
; enabling this severely degrades read / write performance.
; strict locking = yes
; fake oplocks = yes
share modes = yes

; Security modes: USER uses Unix username/passwd, SHARE uses WfW type
passwords
; SERVER uses an other SMB server (eg: Windows NT Server or Samba)
; to provide authentication services
security = user
; Use password server option only with security = server
; password server = <NT-Server-Name>

; Configuration Options ***** The location of this entry in your smb.conf
; heirachy determines which parameters are overwritten - please watch
out!
; Where %m is any SMBName (machine name, or computer name) for which a
custom
; configuration is desired
; include = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%m

; Performance Related Options
; Before setting socket options read the smb.conf man page!!
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
; Socket Address is used to specify which socket Samba
; will listen on (good for aliased systems)
; socket address = aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
; Use keep alive only if really needed!!!!
; keep alive = 60
; Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
; Samba will auto-detect network interfaces - only use this if
; the auto-detection does not deliver the needed results
; interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 176.16.111.22/19
10.11.13.14/255.255.252.0

; Browser Control Options:
; Local Master set to True causes Samba to participate in browser
elections
; the default setting is true, this causes Samba to behave like a
; Windows NT server. Setting this to false turns off all browser
; election participation.
local master = yes

; OS Level gives Samba the power to win browser elections. Windows NT =
32
; Any value < 32 means NT wins as Master Browser, > 32 Samba gets it
; default = 0, this ensures that Samba will NOT win the browser
election.
; os level = 33

; Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser
; Only ever set this if there is NO Windows NT Domain Controller on
the
; network
; domain master = yes

; Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on
startup
; preferred master = yes

; Use with care only if you have an NT server on your network that has
been
; configured at install time to be a primary domain controller.
; domain controller = <NT-Domain-Controller-SMBName>

; Domain Logon Service Options:
; Domain logon control can be a good thing! See [netlogon] share section
below!
; Do NOT set this to yes if there is an Windows NT domain controller
; on the network
; domain logons = yes

; run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
; logon script = %m.bat
; run a specific logon batch file per username
; logon script = %u.bat

; Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
; %L substitutes for the SMB name we are called, %U is username
; You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
; logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

; Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
; WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS
Server
; the default is NO. If you have an Windows NT Server WINS use it!
; Samba defaults to wins support = no
; wins support = yes

; WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
; Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT
both
; wins server = w.x.y.z

; WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on behalf of
a non
; WINS Client capable client, for this to work there must be at
least one
; WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
; wins proxy = yes

;============================ Share Definitions
==============================

[homes]
comment = Home Directories

browseable = no
writable = yes

; Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
; [netlogon]
; comment = Samba Network Logon Service
; path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
; Case sensitivity breaks logon script processing!!!
; case sensitive = no
; guest ok = yes
; locking = no
; writable = no
; For browseable say NO if you want to hide the NETLOGON share
; browseable = yes

; Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
; the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
; path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
; browseable = no
; printable = no
; guest ok = yes

; NOTE: There is NO need to specifically define each individual printer
;[printers]
; comment = All Printers
; path = /usr/spool/samba
; browseable = no
; printable = yes
; Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
; guest ok = no
; writable = no
; create mask = 0700

[tmp]
comment = Temporary file space

path = /tmp
read only = no
public = yes

; A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
; the staff group
[public]
comment = Public Stuff
path = /usr/local
public = yes
writable = yes
printable = no
write list = @users

[java]
comment = java Stuff
path = /usr/local/src/java
public = yes
writable = yes
printable = no
write list = @users

[cdrom]
comment = cdrom Stuff
path = /cdrom
public = yes
writable = no

; Other examples.
;
; A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool data will be placed in
fred's
; home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool
directory,
; wherever it is.
;[fredsprn]
; comment = Fred's Printer
; valid users = fred
; path = /homes/fred
; printer = freds_printer
; public = no
; writable = no
; printable = yes
;
; A private directory, usable only by fred. Note that fred requires write
; access to the directory.
;[fredsdir]
; comment = Fred's Service
; path = /usr/somewhere/private
; valid users = fred
; public = no
; writable = yes
; printable = no
;
; a service which has a different directory for each machine that
connects
; this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You
could
; also use the %u option to tailor it by user name.
; The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
;[pchome]
; comment = PC Directories
; path = /usr/pc/%m
; public = no
; writable = yes
;
;
; A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that all
files
; created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
; any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
; directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of
course
; be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user
instead.
;[public]
; path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
; public = yes
; only guest = yes
; writable = yes
; printable = no
;
;
; The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that
two
; users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users.
In this
; setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have
the
; sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended
; as many users as required.
;[myshare]
; comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
; path = /usr/somewhere/shared
; valid users = mary fred
; public = no
; writable = yes
; printable = no
; create mask = 0765

addison...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2018, 10:47:27 AM1/15/18
BUY QUALITY COUNTERFEIT NOTES, BANK NOTES,PASSPORT,DRIVER'S LICENSES, ID CARDS ONLINE - (passport...@gmail.com)OR Whatsapp:+1 (678)-667-3877

Hello We are the best producers of

Whatsapp:+1 (678)-667-3877
Skype:passportbanknotes
CONTACT EMAIL: (passport...@gmail.com)

fake USA(United States) passports,
fake Australian passports,
fake Belgium passports,
fake Brazilian(Brazil) passports,
fake Canadian(Canada) passports,
fake Finnish(Finland) passports,
fake French(France) passports,
fake German(Germany) passports,
fake Dutch(Netherland/Holland) passports,
fake Israel passports,
fake UK(United Kingdom) passports,
fake Spanish(Spain) passports,
fake Mexican(Mexico) passports,
buy fake South African passports.
buy fake Australian driver licenses,
buy fake Canadian driver licenses,
buy fake French(France) driver licenses,
buy fake Dutch(Netherland/Holland) driving licenses,
buy fake German(Germany) driving licenses,
buy fake UK(United Kingdom) driving licenses,
buy fake Diplomatic passports,
buy fake USA(United States) passports,
buy fake Australian passports,
buy fake Belgium passports,
buy fake Brazilian(Brazil) passports,
buy fake Canadian(Canada) passports,
buy fake Finnish(Finland) passports,
buy fake French(France) passports,
buy fake German(Germany) passports,
buy fake Dutch(Netherland/Holland) passports,
buy fake Israel passports,
buy fake UK(United Kingdom) passports,
buy fake UK(United Kingdom) driving licenses,
buy fake Diplomatic passports,
buy Camouflage passports,
buy passport Duplicates,
fake USA(united States) passports for sale,
fake Australian passports for sale,
fake Belgium passports for sale,
fake Brazilian(Brazil) passports for sale,
fake Canadian(Canada) passports for sale,
fake Finnish(Finland) passports for sale,
fake French(France) passports for sale,
fake German(Germany) passports for sale,
fake Dutch(Netherland/Holland) passports for sale,
fake Israeli passports

AND MANY OTHERS

buy, get, fake, false, passport, passport, id, card, cards, uk, sell, online, canadian, british, sale, novelty, conterfeit, bogus, american, united, states, usa, us, italian, malaysian, australian, documents, idetity, idetification, driver, license, licence, driving, residence, permit, SSN fake passport id, free fake passport, identity theft, fake, novelty, camoflauge, passport, anonymous, private, safe, travel, anti terrorism, international, offshore, banking, id, driver, drivers, license, instant, online, for sale, cheap, wholesale, new identity, second, citizenship, identity, identification, documents, diplomatic, nationality, how to, where to, get, obtain, buy, purchase, make, build, a, passport, i.d., british, honduras, uk, usa, us, u.s., canada, canadian, foreign, visa, swiss, card, ids, document, getting, visas, cards, foriegn .

((MONEY))

This bills are not home made but industrial and professional manufacturing. From High
Quality IT techinicians from US,Russia,Korea and China We offer high quality COUNTERFEIT NOTES for the following currencies;

EUR - Euro
USD - US Dollar
DNR - DINAR
GBP - British Pound
INR - Indian Rupee
AUD - Australian Dollar
CAD - Canadian Dollar
AED - Emirati Dirham
ZAR - Rand
CHF - Swiss Franc
CNY - Chinese Yuan Renminbi
MYR - Malaysian Ringgit
THB - Thai Baht
NZD - New Zealand Dollar
SAR - Saudi Arabian Riyal
QAR - Qatari Riya

CONTACT EMAIL: (passport...@gmail.com)
Skype:passportbanknotes
Whatsapp:+1 (678)-667-3877

(( DRUGS ))

Our highly skilled Research Development team provide you with the cheapest and highest purity of Research Chemicals AND DRUGS With our excellent customer service and reliability look no further. Purchase from our easy to use website and find some of the lowest prices found anywhere in the world.

Our company offers fine quality research chemicals so you can explore their reactions when they are mixed with other chemicals AND Drugs in your lab. We ship to most countries. If you have any inquires please do not hesitate to email us or visit our website
Our Services:

-Top quality products.

-Guaranteed discrete delivery worldwide

-Good wholesale prices.

-Free handbook for all orders.

-Secured payments.

-100% refund policy.

-24/7 awesome client service.

-Guaranteed delivery overnight.

Contact :

Whatsapp:+1 (678)-667-3877
Skype:passportbanknotes
CONTACT EMAIL: (passport...@gmail.com)

E-Mail Your Questions and Comments.

We are looking forward to receiving your inquiries and early receipt of your first orders!

SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY PLEASE