Chaos - algorithms?

Jez74b

Jun 9, 2002, 12:46:28 PM6/9/02
Does anyone know the combat algorithms for the classic game Chaos?

Specifically, how are the Combat, Defence, Manoeuvre etc scores used to
determine the outcome of a fight?

Just curious!

Jez

Quirky

Jun 10, 2002, 7:06:53 AM6/10/02
> Does anyone know the combat algorithms for the classic game Chaos?
>
> Specifically, how are the Combat, Defence, Manoeuvre etc scores used to
> determine the outcome of a fight?

The stats are used like this, as far as I know:

Combat (or ranged combat) and defence are the only factors used in a
fight, the combat of the attacking creature vs the defence of the
defending creature plus a random number.
i.e.

A = Combat + Random Number between 0- 9
B = Defence + Random Number between 0-9

if (A > B)
Attacking creature wins

Manoeuvre (that never looks to be spelled right) is used for the
"engaged to enemy" chance, using a similar approach to above. Magic
resistance is used for things like the chance of Justice, Raise Dead,
Subversion, etc to work. They too use the "base stat + random number"
approach, though I don't know for sure the range of the random
numbers.

That's how I implemented everything in a Gameboy Advance clone of
Chaos at least < http://quirky.freewebsites.com/ >, and it plays
pretty similar to the original. The "stat + random number" was the way
that Julian Gollop used in the original, according to an email posted
on another group anyway.

Steve Anderson

Jun 10, 2002, 11:31:32 AM6/10/02

"Quirky" <rqu...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

*snip*

> That's how I implemented everything in a Gameboy Advance clone of
> Chaos at least < http://quirky.freewebsites.com/ >, and it plays
> pretty similar to the original. The "stat + random number" was the way
> that Julian Gollop used in the original, according to an email posted
> on another group anyway.

That's handy to know for us openchaos.org people, who will definitely get
something worth playing before Christmas [1].

Steve
openchaos bod

[1] 2003 [2]
[2] So about five past 8 in the evening one Christmas then.