ZX-SPECTRUM GAMES COPYRIGHTS

Alexander Shabarshin

Feb 12, 2002, 4:07:21 AM2/12/02
Hello!

Can I ask you about COPYRIGHTS for spectrum games?
Are there freeware classic spectrum games?
If I want sell ROMs with specgames for some device (not spec),
for what games I must pay license fee?
And what about spectrum ROM images?

Thank you

Garry

Feb 12, 2002, 4:13:52 AM2/12/02
"Alexander Shabarshin" <sh...@mail.ru> wrote in message

> Hello!
>
> Can I ask you about COPYRIGHTS for spectrum games?
Yes, feel FREE.

> Are there freeware classic spectrum games?

Probably, but the vast majority of spectrum games are still copyrighted by
someone - not all the copyright holders enforce this however, but trying to
flog them for cash is asking for trouble.

> If I want sell ROMs with specgames for some device (not spec),
> for what games I must pay license fee?

All of them; I would have thought, unless you own the rights to the game or
the publishers have waived their rights

> And what about spectrum ROM images?

They're owned by Amstrad, who have given permission for them to be used in
freeware/shareware applications - attempting to charge for them would
undoubtedly be met with big nasty lawyers in suits.

> Thank you
You're welcome. (what a polite young man, you don't get much of that these
days. I dunno; in my day all this was fields etc)

-Garry

(All the above is quite probably true, but if it isn't, don't blame me, it
was like that when I got here.)

Philip Kendall

Feb 12, 2002, 4:54:37 AM2/12/02
In article <3C68DB49...@mail.ru>,

I suggest you read the FAQ[1] and the vast collection of permission
statements on WoS.

[1] http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pak21/cssfaq/index.html, but you knew that
already, didn't you? :-)

Phil

--
Philip Kendall <pa...@srcf.ucam.org>
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pak21/

Andrew Owen

Feb 12, 2002, 7:54:48 AM2/12/02
In article <3C68DB49...@mail.ru>, Alexander Shabarshin
<sh...@mail.ru> wrote:

As Philip points out the FAQ and WoS permissions list have most of the
info you're after but...

> Are there freeware classic spectrum games?

No. Not one of the classic spectrum games is freeware. Some can be
distributed legally, but you cannot charge people for them.

> If I want sell ROMs with specgames for some device (not spec),

You cannot sell the ROMs because they are not yours to sell. You cannot
embed them in hardware either - this isn't made explicit in the FAQ answer
but I have correspondence from Amstrad which clears up the fact - ROMs can
only be distributed for use with emulators, not actual hardware.

> for what games I must pay license fee?

Unless the game is freeware, and I'm not aware of any commercial releases
that now fall into this category although there are some pretty good PD
releases, all of them.

> And what about spectrum ROM images?

See above.

--
I'm leaving CSS again soon. I will be away from
my machine for about six months from the end of

Tony Austin

Feb 12, 2002, 8:20:11 AM2/12/02
> > Are there freeware classic spectrum games?
>
> No. Not one of the classic spectrum games is freeware. Some can be
> distributed legally, but you cannot charge people for them.

Wasn't Chaos released as freeware in the end?

-tony

Andrew Owen

Feb 12, 2002, 9:08:35 AM2/12/02

The publisher was Games Workshop so I very much doubt that.

Tony Austin

Feb 12, 2002, 9:18:34 AM2/12/02

> > > No. Not one of the classic spectrum games is freeware. Some can be
> > > distributed legally, but you cannot charge people for them.
> >
> > Wasn't Chaos released as freeware in the end?
>
> The publisher was Games Workshop so I very much doubt that.

Games Workshop may have been the publisher but I believe Julian Gollop
(Currently Mythos Games) held the copyright. If you remember back to the
days of Your Sinclair when they were trying to get hold of Rebelstar to put
on the covertape, they put out an appeal and it turned out Mr. Gollop was
the copyright holder. I believe he held the copyright for all of his games.

-tony

Steve Anderson

Feb 12, 2002, 9:26:06 AM2/12/02

"Andrew Owen" <aowe...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
.

> > Wasn't Chaos released as freeware in the end?
>
> The publisher was Games Workshop so I very much doubt that.

Well Julian Gollop holds the code rights and Games Workshop held the
publisher rights, as far as I understand it. It's like if you look at a CD -
you get a (c) for copyright and (p) for published dates. Mr G has given
permission for Chaos to be distributed freely, but it's still copyrighted
material, and as such (like many other things) if you're going to try and
sell it, he and Games Workshop each have an interest in recovering their
royalties from you...

So it is being distributed more or less as freeware with the author's
permission, but you can't go trying to make money from it. This isn't a
problem for openchaos.org, so he's fine with that particular egg.

Steve

Andrew Owen

Feb 12, 2002, 9:30:52 AM2/12/02

Well, the quickest way to find out is to find out the Julian Gollop
permission letter on WoS.

Andrew Owen

Feb 12, 2002, 9:39:26 AM2/12/02
In article <a4b8lu$93c$1...@knossos.btinternet.com>, "Steve Anderson"
<st...@CUREDPORKBLOCKtwindx.com> wrote:

Or just wait for someone in the know to post here! :) (see previous post)

ke...@cableinet.co.uk

Feb 12, 2002, 8:10:47 PM2/12/02
On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:18:34 -0000, "Tony Austin" <n...@no.no> wrote:

>Games Workshop may have been the publisher but I believe Julian Gollop
>(Currently Mythos Games)

I thought Mythos had went bust?

Rob.

David Buttery

Feb 12, 2002, 8:43:57 PM2/12/02
Andrew Owen (aowe...@yahoo.com.au) wrote on 12 Feb 2002:

<snip>

> You cannot sell the ROMs because they are not yours to sell. You
> cannot embed them in hardware either - this isn't made explicit in
> the FAQ answer but I have correspondence from Amstrad which clears
> up the fact - ROMs can only be distributed for use with emulators,
> not actual hardware.

<snip>

That's quite an important point, actually - any chance that you (or
someone else) could get Amstrad to make a public statement to that
effect, so that people asking this question in future can be referred
to it (eg in the FAQ)?

--
"After all, a mere thousand yards... such a harmless little knoll,
really" - Raymond Mays on Shelsley Walsh.

The GPL Scrapyard: bits 'n' bobs at http://www.hillclimbfan.f2s.com

Alexander Shabarshin

Feb 13, 2002, 6:02:15 AM2/13/02
Hello

Andrew Owen wrote:

> You cannot sell the ROMs because they are not yours to sell. You cannot
> embed them in hardware either - this isn't made explicit in the FAQ answer
> but I have correspondence from Amstrad which clears up the fact - ROMs can
> only be distributed for use with emulators, not actual hardware.

Ok. What about this:
I make device (NOT spec). It has not spectrum ROM as ROM.
BUT it has ROM as file in the file system and load it for
spectrum emulation (hardware emulation). Is it leagl?

Chris Cowley

Feb 13, 2002, 6:09:38 AM2/13/02
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:02:15 +0500, Alexander Shabarshin <sh...@mail.ru>
wrote:

>Ok. What about this:
>I make device (NOT spec). It has not spectrum ROM as ROM.
>BUT it has ROM as file in the file system and load it for
>spectrum emulation (hardware emulation). Is it leagl?

No. Stop trying to be a cheapskate. If you want to use Amstrad's code in
your commercial product then you must negotiate a licence with them.
--
Chris Cowley

Fame and fortune await in SpeccyGame 2002 - "The c.s.s. Good Game
Competition". http://freestuff.grok.co.uk/game-compo/ for details

Andrew Owen

Feb 13, 2002, 6:31:43 AM2/13/02
In article <Xns91B41191E5D28gp...@130.133.1.4>, David
Buttery <gplscrapya...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Andrew Owen (aowe...@yahoo.com.au) wrote on 12 Feb 2002:
>
> <snip>
> > You cannot sell the ROMs because they are not yours to sell. You
> > cannot embed them in hardware either - this isn't made explicit in
> > the FAQ answer but I have correspondence from Amstrad which clears
> > up the fact - ROMs can only be distributed for use with emulators,
> > not actual hardware.
> <snip>
>
> That's quite an important point, actually - any chance that you (or
> someone else) could get Amstrad to make a public statement to that
> effect, so that people asking this question in future can be referred
> to it (eg in the FAQ)?

Amstrad aren't answering my calls at the moment, but I could probably find
the extract in an email from Cliff Lawson. I still have it somewhere.
There are exceptions though. Garry Lancaster has permission to distribute
his modified +3 ROMs for use in actual hardware, so the real position is
probably that it's ok to distribute ROMs with original hardware or for use
with original hardware but not with clones. Peters Plus include the
Spectrum ROMs on disk for use with the Sprinter's 'Spectrum mode' to
remain on the right side of the law.

Andrew Owen

Feb 13, 2002, 6:34:55 AM2/13/02
In article <3C6A47B7...@mail.ru>, Alexander Shabarshin
<sh...@mail.ru> wrote:

Yes that's fine. If the device is simply emulating a Spectrum then you can
distribute the ROM files with the emulator. You can charge for the
hardware, but you can't charge for the emulator, except by prior
arrangement with Amstrad (as in the case of Z80) or unless you make it
clear that you are not charging for the ROMs, only the emulator (as in the
case of XZX pro). If you're going to charge for the emulator the ROMs
should probably not be embedded in the code.

Andrew Owen

Feb 13, 2002, 6:36:35 AM2/13/02
In article <prhk6u8gf86di2ncs...@hobgoblin.grok.co.uk>,
Chris Cowley <cco...@grok.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:02:15 +0500, Alexander Shabarshin <sh...@mail.ru>
> wrote:
>
> >Ok. What about this:
> >I make device (NOT spec). It has not spectrum ROM as ROM.
> >BUT it has ROM as file in the file system and load it for
> >spectrum emulation (hardware emulation). Is it leagl?
>
> No. Stop trying to be a cheapskate. If you want to use Amstrad's code in
> your commercial product then you must negotiate a licence with them.

If the primary purpose of the product is something other than emluating a
Spectrum, or the Spectrum is not the primary mode, as on the Sprinter,
then it is legal. It would probably be better to negotiate a licence, but
they don't seem to be answering anyone's calls to do with the Spectrum at
the moment. Could have something to do with the launch of the emailer.

Alexander Shabarshin

Feb 13, 2002, 6:52:58 AM2/13/02
Hello

Chris Cowley wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:02:15 +0500, Alexander Shabarshin <sh...@mail.ru>
> wrote:
>
> >Ok. What about this:
> >I make device (NOT spec). It has not spectrum ROM as ROM.
> >BUT it has ROM as file in the file system and load it for
> >spectrum emulation (hardware emulation). Is it leagl?
>
> No. Stop trying to be a cheapskate. If you want to use Amstrad's code in
> your commercial product then you must negotiate a licence with them.

I want make hardware as commercial part
Software will be absolutely free

I think about ROM of first ZX-SPECTRUM (1982)

Andrew Owen

Feb 13, 2002, 6:58:47 AM2/13/02
In article <3C6A539A...@mail.ru>, Alexander Shabarshin
<sh...@mail.ru> wrote:

If the emulator is free you should be okay. Amstrad *is* the copyright
owner of the 1982 ROM though. They bought it from Nine Tiles at the same
time they bought Sinclair. Nine Tiles still own the rights to the ZX80 and
ZX81 ROMs as far as I can work out. I think Sinclair still owns the rights
to the Interface 1. Amstrad owned the rights to the QL but sold them.

Chris Cowley

Feb 13, 2002, 7:20:00 AM2/13/02
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:52:58 +0500, Alexander Shabarshin <sh...@mail.ru>
wrote:

>I want make hardware as commercial part

>Software will be absolutely free
>
>I think about ROM of first ZX-SPECTRUM (1982)

Speak to Amstrad about it. They are the only people who can give you an
authoritive answer. Trusting the legality of a commercial product to a
bunch of people in a newsgroup is probably not a good idea.
--
Chris Cowley

Andrew Owen

Feb 13, 2002, 9:47:57 AM2/13/02
In article <rmlk6ucnjqmgup3s2...@hobgoblin.grok.co.uk>,
Chris Cowley <cco...@grok.co.uk> wrote:

Normally I'd agree, but I've been discussing the issue with Cliff Lawson,
who was Amstrad's spokesman on the subject for a long time, so I'd say I'm
a fairly good authority on it. I have also been consulted in this regard
by Peters Plus Ltd, makers of the Sprinter. I have also been in touch with
John Grant of Nine Tiles, and the only thing I need to clarify is who owns
the rights to the Interface 1 code. I'm 90% certain it's still Sinclair,
but I need to write to them to verify this and I just haven't got round to
it yet.

Chris Cowley

Feb 13, 2002, 11:51:03 AM2/13/02
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:47:57 +0000, aowe...@yahoo.com.au (Andrew Owen)
wrote:

>In article <rmlk6ucnjqmgup3s2...@hobgoblin.grok.co.uk>,
>Chris Cowley <cco...@grok.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Speak to Amstrad about it. They are the only people who can give you an
>> authoritive answer. Trusting the legality of a commercial product to a
>> bunch of people in a newsgroup is probably not a good idea.
>
>Normally I'd agree, but I've been discussing the issue with Cliff Lawson,
>who was Amstrad's spokesman on the subject for a long time, so I'd say I'm
>a fairly good authority on it.

I don't doubt the sincerity or accuracy of your comments at all. But if
I was investing money in manufacturing a commercial product that used
the Spectrum ROMs I'd want to have permission in writing from Amstrad.

If there's been any misunderstanding between you and Amstrad about this,
or if the situation has changed since the release of E-Mailer, or even
if Amstrad just plain change their minds, a defence of "Someone in an
Internet Newsgroup said it'd be okay" isn't likely to get you very far
if Amstrad decides to sue for loss of revenue and copyright
infringement. Things change dramatically when money is at stake, even
more so now that Amstrad are actively using Sinclair "technology"
commercially.
--
Chris Cowley
vbSpec and vb81

Alexander Shabarshin

Feb 14, 2002, 2:56:59 AM2/14/02
Hello

Chris Cowley wrote:

> I don't doubt the sincerity or accuracy of your comments at all. But if
> I was investing money in manufacturing a commercial product that used
> the Spectrum ROMs I'd want to have permission in writing from Amstrad.
>
> If there's been any misunderstanding between you and Amstrad about this,
> or if the situation has changed since the release of E-Mailer, or even
> if Amstrad just plain change their minds, a defence of "Someone in an
> Internet Newsgroup said it'd be okay" isn't likely to get you very far
> if Amstrad decides to sue for loss of revenue and copyright
> infringement. Things change dramatically when money is at stake, even
> more so now that Amstrad are actively using Sinclair "technology"
> commercially.

Thanks for everyone :)

Andrew Owen

Feb 15, 2002, 6:15:59 PM2/15/02
In article <ks5l6ushlm8dmvusb...@hobgoblin.grok.co.uk>,
Chris Cowley <cco...@grok.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:47:57 +0000, aowe...@yahoo.com.au (Andrew Owen)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <rmlk6ucnjqmgup3s2...@hobgoblin.grok.co.uk>,
> >Chris Cowley <cco...@grok.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Speak to Amstrad about it. They are the only people who can give you an
> >> authoritive answer. Trusting the legality of a commercial product to a
> >> bunch of people in a newsgroup is probably not a good idea.
> >
> >Normally I'd agree, but I've been discussing the issue with Cliff Lawson,
> >who was Amstrad's spokesman on the subject for a long time, so I'd say I'm
> >a fairly good authority on it.
>
> I don't doubt the sincerity or accuracy of your comments at all. But if
> I was investing money in manufacturing a commercial product that used
> the Spectrum ROMs I'd want to have permission in writing from Amstrad.

Well, you do have a point. But if it's not a mass market product and the
Spectrum emulation part is not the main feature then it's probably ok.
However, I get the impression that what we're discussing here is a
Spectrum clone, in which case supplying the ROMs in any form is a definite
no-no.

> If there's been any misunderstanding between you and Amstrad about this,
> or if the situation has changed since the release of E-Mailer, or even
> if Amstrad just plain change their minds, a defence of "Someone in an
> Internet Newsgroup said it'd be okay" isn't likely to get you very far
> if Amstrad decides to sue for loss of revenue and copyright
> infringement. Things change dramatically when money is at stake, even
> more so now that Amstrad are actively using Sinclair "technology"
> commercially.

Oh I quite agree. That's why I always contact Amstrad before I start
poking around with the ROMs. They're not answering me lately, but I have
an old email from Cliff Lawson somewhere which gives me personally blanket
permission to do a lot of stuff, within certain parameters. Cliff is
probably just a bit busy right now.

Jeremy Smith

Feb 16, 2002, 5:55:36 PM2/16/02
ke...@cableinet.co.uk wrote in article
<3c69bd12...@news.cableinet.co.uk>...

I think they've just metamorphosed into Codo Games:

http://www.codogames.com/

:-)

Jeremy.