WORKING replacements for Zetex ZTX transistors in ZX Spectrum?

Linards Ticmanis

May 9, 2008, 4:22:09 AM5/9/08
Hello,

I've just sort of given up on getting my hands on those hard-to-find ZTX
transistors over here in Germany.

Which other, available, types actually do work as a replacement?

As you will know the Spectrum has ZTX650 (or TIPP31), ZTX450, ZTX313,
ZTX213 and BC184 inside.

Here's what I came up with, but this is pure theory. What I'd need is a
confirmation which of these replacements actually do work in practice.
Also what works for the ZTX313 as the BSV26 I came up with seems just as
hard to get.

ZTX650, possible replacements 2SC3328, 2SD1207, 2SD1835
TIPP31, possible replacements MPS 650, 2SD1055, 2SD1227, 2SD1207
ZTX213, equals BC 213, possible replacements BC 257, BC 307, BC 557
ZTX313, equals BSV 26, replacements unknown
ZTX450, possible replacements BC 337A, BC 637, BC 639, 2SD1207
BC184, equals BC183, possible replacements BC 413/414, BC 550

I'd be grateful for any help so that I can get this spectrum to fly
again! At least the ZTX650 is definitively gone.

(And please excuse my not so good English)
--
Linards Ticmanis

Andrew Halliwell

May 9, 2008, 5:53:59 AM5/9/08
Linards Ticmanis <ticm...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just sort of given up on getting my hands on those hard-to-find ZTX
> transistors over here in Germany.
>
> Which other, available, types actually do work as a replacement?
>
> As you will know the Spectrum has ZTX650 (or TIPP31), ZTX450, ZTX313,
> ZTX213 and BC184 inside.
>
> Here's what I came up with, but this is pure theory. What I'd need is a
> confirmation which of these replacements actually do work in practice.
> Also what works for the ZTX313 as the BSV26 I came up with seems just as
> hard to get.

A transistor is a fairly simple device.
There're only a few variables that would affect its suitability as a
replacement... Those are...

Medium: Determines the voltage they saturate at, silicon is 0.7 volts,
germanium is 0.3, other substances have different characteristics.

Polarity: (pnp can only replace pnp/npn only replace npn)

Current load: This is a minimum of course, any transistor that matches or
exceeds the current load of the one you're replacing should do, as long as
it fulfills the other requirements...

Switching speed: Only really a concern if it's part of a digital circuit or
high quality audio amp or something. Most transistors have timing graphs in
their specs anyway. But, the faster the better, as long as it's as fast or
faster than the one you're replacing it'll work.

package size: well, the transistor's got to fit in the space the one it's
replacing vacates hasn't it?

So, as long as you find an adequately sized NPN (or PNP) transistor capable
of taking the current load of the original and capable of switching (if
required) fast enough, it'll work.

If it's just a power transistor that's part of the power supply you don't
need to worry about switching, only medium, polarity, size and current load
are important. Suppose there might also be a thermal range variable if
you're going to drive the thing very hot...

(NB: This is only for bipolar transistors... for FETs and MOSFETS, you've
got other concerns)
| spi...@freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| in |good to you so far... |

Duncan Snowden

May 9, 2008, 6:34:44 PM5/9/08
Andrew Halliwell wrote:

> (NB: This is only for bipolar transistors... for FETs and MOSFETS, you've
> got other concerns)

And don't even start about Boba Fett.

--
Duncan Snowden.

J D

May 19, 2008, 10:29:24 PM5/19/08

"Duncan Snowden" <d...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message

Boba Fett? ... Boba Fett? ... Where? ...

Alain-Pierre CHERTIER

May 24, 2008, 6:31:42 PM5/24/08
Hello,
if I remember true, I put a 2N2369 in place of a ZTX313 long years ago
in a simple video adaptation circuit that was designed for modifying a ZX81
with normal (english) PAL signal to "near SECAM format" for connecting it
to french TV receivers... It was working properly, so I imagine the ZTX313
replacement by a 2N2369 was the right choice ? This was because it was
already not possible to find ZTX313 in electronic shops in Paris 20 years
ago...
Alain-Pierre

"Linards Ticmanis" <ticm...@gmx.de> a écrit dans le message de

Mentore Siesto

May 25, 2008, 10:29:22 AM5/25/08
On Sat, 24 May 2008 22:31:42 UTC, "Alain-Pierre CHERTIER"
<ap.ch...@free.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
> if I remember true, I put a 2N2369 in place of a ZTX313 long years ago
> in a simple video adaptation circuit that was designed for modifying a ZX81
> with normal (english) PAL signal to "near SECAM format" for connecting it
> to french TV receivers... It was working properly, so I imagine the ZTX313
> replacement by a 2N2369 was the right choice ? This was because it was
> already not possible to find ZTX313 in electronic shops in Paris 20 years
> ago...
> Alain-Pierre

Reading a book from Adrian C. Dickens (Himself!!!), I see a
troubleshooting section. WRT the power supply section, the book says
that you can substitute the ZTX 213 (pnp) and the ZTX651 (npn) with a
low power BJT.

So, at least for the power supply section (-12 V), it seems that
there's some equivalency...

Mentore