HELP -- ftpd & patches

Kirt

Apr 14, 2003, 2:37:29 PM4/14/03
Okay, so, a few weeks ago I upgraded my Origin 2000 systems (2 of them)
from IRIX 6.5.8m to 6.5.19m ... Later on, at different times, I installed
four official system patches: 4966, 4976, 4992 and 5046.

4966 fixes ftpd vulnerabilities, 4976 and 5046 are Sendmail patches, and
4992 fixes some RPC and socket problems...

Well, everything works great on these Origin 2000 servers, including ftpd,
which is important for the operation of the servers -- people need to be
able to connect with ftp.

So, I decided to do the same to one of my Origin 200 servers. I upgrade to
6.5.19m, apply all four patches, and reboot.

Note that the Origin 200 server is configured nearlly identically to the
Origin 2000 server -- they're all part of the same overall "system".

Well, I try to connect to the server (which I'll call FNORD) and I get
this:

prompt% ftp FNORD
ftp: connect: Connection refused
ftp>

Typical, except that only an hour previously it worked -- with the same
config files. That is, /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services are normal.

Trying it from FNORD itself, I get this:

prompt% ftp localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1
ftp: connect: Connection refused
Socket call/connect failed for all addresses
ftp> quit
prompt% telnet localhost 21
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
Getaddrinfo:socket/connect failed for all addresses
prompt%

Hmmmm, I think. Perhaps patch 4966 is the culprit. I use "versions remove"
to remove it, and reboot -- no dice, same problem. Perhaps patch 4992? I
remove it, too, and reboot -- no effect. I doubt it's the other two
patches, as they're Sendmail, and that works fine.

I even tried to get an old copy of ftpd from one of my Origin
200s that is configured the same way (still using 6.5.8m)... No effect.

Any ideas? Anyone seen this problem before?

ADDENDUM: I just tried pulling inetd over from one of the non-modified
Origin 200 machines as I did with ftpd, and now ftpd works. I have no
idea why this is the case, and it worries me to be using an older version
of inetd... Tho this "solves the problem", I'm worried about long-term
effects.

--
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- yet another homepage at http://www.io.com/~xiombarg
My opinions are my own. PGP public key available. Surreal poetry on request.

Kirt

Apr 15, 2003, 9:40:34 AM4/15/03
In comp.sys.sgi.admin Kirt Loki Dankmyer <xiom...@eris.io.com> wrote:
: ADDENDUM: I just tried pulling inetd over from one of the non-modified

: Origin 200 machines as I did with ftpd, and now ftpd works. I have no
: idea why this is the case, and it worries me to be using an older version
: of inetd... Tho this "solves the problem", I'm worried about long-term
: effects.

SECOND ADDENDUM: I tried updating another machine, and rebooted after
doing the OS upgrade, without installing patches -- and had the same
problem. In fact, I also couldn't connect via telnet until I replaced the
inetd with an old one.

Any idea what's going on with this? I should think an OS upgrade shouldn't
do this.