BOOTP from Indy falils

Oliver Haak

Feb 12, 2003, 7:43:51 AM2/12/03

I'm trying to install IRIX on my recently acquainted Indy. As I don't have a
CDROM available I tried to netboot the installation tools from my Linux PC.
Shortly said, it doesn't work:
The Linux bootpd answers the boot requests from the Indy (as it can be seen
from sniffing network traffic and the syslog on the PC) but the indy simply
ignores the replies and requests again (4 times in total) until failure. I'v
read that I need to disable Path MTU discipline on my linux kernel (2.4.19)
which I did but this had no (percetible) effect.
A few years ago I successfully booted my old Personal Iris over the Linux
PC, so there is somehow a way it should work. Does anybody out there has a
clue what is going wrong with my setup ?

Oliver

Christoph Hellwig

Feb 12, 2003, 8:06:46 AM2/12/03

If you're using dhcpdv2 you need to type the following on they indy's prom
command line:

unsetenv netaddr

On the linux host you also need to set a sysctl value to work around problems
in the indy's prom:

sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range="2048 32767"

Oliver Haak

Feb 13, 2003, 4:35:01 AM2/13/03
Black magic applied, still not working :-)

No, I'm kidding. I got it working, finally. Well, its not so smooth as meant
by SGI, but here is how it worked for me:

This for dhcpd to work:
sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc=1

To be honest, I don't know wether dhcpd really cares about the above
setting. The problem was appearently that the "Don't Fragment" flag was set
in the IP header. Bootpd gives a damn about this setting, it sets the flag
for what reason ever.

This is for tftpd to work:

sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range="2048 32767"

I used atftpd in the first try which didn't worked. After falling back to
in.tftpd a miracle happened: the Indy downloaded the installation tools from
my Linux PC.

Bottom Line: Don't use bootpd, use dhcpd (at least version 3 from ISC),
Don't use atftpd, use in.tftpd. Adjust your kernel parameters.

Thank you Cristoph!

Oliver

"Christoph Hellwig" <h...@taclab54.munich.sgi.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag