Why am I getting this PANIC?

Kirt

Nov 14, 2002, 2:01:42 PM11/14/02
Okay, to make sense of my problem, you have to understand that I have some
old legacy software on an Indigo 2 (green-blue box) that I need to be able
to run. It needs IRIX 5.3, and it needs an environment it's used to.

So, naturally, when we got a bunch of "new" (i.e. used, but new to us)
Indigos for the same program, I decided to clone the hard drive of an old
machine for use in a new one.

For the purposes of this discussion, there are three hard drives and two
machines.

OLD = the "old" machine, which runs the program just fine, has everything
set up correctly, etc.
NEW = a "new" machine, which has vanilla, out-of-the box IRIX 5.3 on it
Original = the original hard drive for OLD, a bootable volume containing
the software I want
New01 = the original hard drive for NEW, which started out with vanilla
IRIX 5.3 on it, nothing else
New02 = same as New01, but from a different machine of the same "batch"
i.e. purchased along with the others

So, okay, I pop New01 out of NEW, put it in the second slot of OLD, and
proceed to clone the drive. We're talking dump, dvhtool, the whole nine
yards. I shut everything down and pop New01, now a clone of Original, in
the first slot of OLD, and put Original on the table.

OLD boots up great. So I leave New01 in there, and put Original in NEW.
This is important. It's not a bad clone, because I'm using the original,
not the cloned drive in the new machine.

I boot up NEW, and what do I get?

PANIC: IRIX Killed due to Bus Error
at PC:0x8800f561c ep:0xffffcd00

Odd. I shut down and put New01 in NEW. It boots up fine. So the drive is
causing this problem. But it doesn't cause this problem with OLD.

Note that I did the same thing the day before, but with a cloned version
of the drive, which is why I tried out the original this time.

Now, SGI Knowledgebase says "Replace IP32 System board" for this exact
error. Except I only get the PANIC and the lack of bootup with a drive
taken from the older machine, so I doubt it's the board, per se.
Especially give the facts below.

The only difference between the machines, from hinv, is as follows:
OLD: 200 MHZ IP22 Processor
NEW: 250 MHZ IP22 Processor
OLD: Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte
NEW: Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 2 Mbytes
OLD: 32 Mbytes memory
NEW: 64 Mbytes memory

Oh, and the old machine has a bi-directional barallel port and the new
machine doesn't. That's it.

So, generally, the new machines are better. Any idea how I can make one of
the old hard drives boot without downgrading/replacing the new hardware?

--
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- yet another homepage at http://www.io.com/~xiombarg
My opinions are my own. PGP public key available. Surreal poetry on request.