Comments/Questions about dog/flight

Alek O. Komarnitsky

Sep 10, 1992, 4:04:25 AM9/10/92
As the title says, I've got a couple of (easy) questions/comments
about dog/flight ... a super game BTW. I've seen some discussion
about the game, so apologies in advance if I cover ground again.

- I prefer the "Heads-up" option, mostly because the screen is bigger
and a flight path director is displayed (quite helpful for landings).
However, is there a way to get this with the instrument version?
Along these lines, perhaps a localizer/glideslope and/or flight director bars?
Also, the man page (4.0.5) discusses a -O option for the "old" 2-D display,
but that's all I get regardless - didn't I see a version with dials and
more instrumentation somewhere? The man page also discusses a Mach Meter,
but I don't see this anywhere either.

- It seems to me that the airspeed indicator is not "indicated" but "true."
I.e. it shows how fast you are going, but since density decreases with
altitude, one's stall speeds increases. It seems that the mathematics
are being done internally - wouldn't *indicated* airspeed be better?

- Maybe I'm missing it, but small control inputs don't seem to take.
I.e. it seems one must move the mouse a finite amount before the game
recognizes the stick has moved. Yep, I overcontrol to begin with, but
this seems to exagerate the problem.

- The left/right/behinds arrows are nice, but I find a +-45 degree frontal
view would be quite helpful too.

- Upon landing, I'm curious how well I did (close to centerline, etc.)
But if I touch and go right away, I lose the display of data.
Perhaps it can stay until a certain keyboard key is touched?

- Just for fun, one could add a few more sounds for landing ala
a Ground Proximity Warning (747 only?) I.e. "sink rate, pull up, etc."
Maybe take off too ("pls fasten your seats belts and put tray tables up!" ;-)

- Be nice if someone "locks on" to you, that you get a warning sound.
I.e. you are being "painted", so radar warning goes off.

- Visual effects when spoilers/speed brakes are deployed (F-15 would look cool).

- Where do I find jthrust.aiii (sp?) - I've looked through sgi.com
Also, it seems on the Indigo (fresh load of 4.0.5) that the audio
files aren't where dog/flight looks for 'em, so I had to setenv
FLIGHTSOUND (?)

- Doesn't seem to be any roll coupling with yaw (?)

- Stealth Figher ... kinda slow & doggy, but no radar image.
BTW, I've heard that there are all sorts of "planes" at Mountain View,
including Snoopy's Doghouse (?) Perhaps these could be made available via FTP?

- The -i and -o options are pretty dang nice for solo work!

All in all, a super game!
alek

P.S. Getting the 747 off *without* touching the rudder pedals is a challenge!

Rob Mace

Sep 16, 1992, 1:46:33 AM9/16/92
In article <1992Sep10....@spatial.com>, al...@spatial.com (Alek O. Komarnitsky) writes:
> As the title says, I've got a couple of (easy) questions/comments
> about dog/flight ... a super game BTW. I've seen some discussion
> about the game, so apologies in advance if I cover ground again.
>
> - I prefer the "Heads-up" option, mostly because the screen is bigger
> and a flight path director is displayed (quite helpful for landings).
> However, is there a way to get this with the instrument version?
> Along these lines, perhaps a localizer/glideslope and/or flight director
> bars?

The heads up display is one of the areas I will be working on in the
future. It will also be visible over the instrument panel.

> Also, the man page (4.0.5) discusses a -O option for the "old" 2-D display,
> but that's all I get regardless - didn't I see a version with dials and
> more instrumentation somewhere? The man page also discusses a Mach Meter,
> but I don't see this anywhere either.

There are currently two versions of flight. One that runs in RGB mode
zbuffered and one that runs in color index mode non-zbuffered. The
color index version does not currently have the new instruments. I have
a new unified version that I am working on. It automatically configures
itself to run in the best possible way on the system you are on. I will
make it available for ftp from sgi.com when it is ready, and will post the
fact.

> - It seems to me that the airspeed indicator is not "indicated" but "true."
> I.e. it shows how fast you are going, but since density decreases with
> altitude, one's stall speeds increases. It seems that the mathematics
> are being done internally - wouldn't *indicated* airspeed be better?

It would be more accurate to how some planes sense airspeed.

> - Maybe I'm missing it, but small control inputs don't seem to take.
> I.e. it seems one must move the mouse a finite amount before the game
> recognizes the stick has moved. Yep, I overcontrol to begin with, but
> this seems to exagerate the problem.

I just checked it and inputs are quantized. I believe Gary did this to
make it easier to go strait and level with a mouse(not self centering).
I will try it with out the quantizing and see how it works.

> - The left/right/behinds arrows are nice, but I find a +-45 degree frontal
> view would be quite helpful too.

The new version has the following
down arrow = look behind
up arrow = look front
left arrow = rotate 10 degrees left
right arrow = rotate 10 degrees right

Any suggestions on how to control the 45 degree views.

> - Upon landing, I'm curious how well I did (close to centerline, etc.)
> But if I touch and go right away, I lose the display of data.
> Perhaps it can stay until a certain keyboard key is touched?

I will look into it.

> - Just for fun, one could add a few more sounds for landing ala
> a Ground Proximity Warning (747 only?) I.e. "sink rate, pull up, etc."
> Maybe take off too ("pls fasten your seats belts and put tray
> tables up!" ;-)

I would like to do a lot more with sounds. The current sounds sound too
much like a video game and not enough like an airplane to me. I don't know
when I will have time.

> - Be nice if someone "locks on" to you, that you get a warning sound.
> I.e. you are being "painted", so radar warning goes off.

Another plan I have is an option for realistic weapons use. This would
include radar use for radar guided missiles, radar warning, chaff, flares,
proper hud, etc..

> - Visual effects when spoilers/speed brakes are deployed (F-15 would look cool).

This is planed for the future but is not yet scheduled.

> - Where do I find jthrust.aiii (sp?) - I've looked through sgi.com
> Also, it seems on the Indigo (fresh load of 4.0.5) that the audio
> files aren't where dog/flight looks for 'em, so I had to setenv
> FLIGHTSOUND (?)

I just checked and it is not installed for some reason. I will fix this.
It will be there when I put it on sgi.com for ftp.

> - Doesn't seem to be any roll coupling with yaw (?)

Correct. The dynamics need improving.

> - Stealth Figher ... kinda slow & doggy, but no radar image.

I will probably add this.

> BTW, I've heard that there are all sorts of "planes" at Mountain View,
> including Snoopy's Doghouse (?) Perhaps these could be made available

> FTP?

There is a version of the old flight from a university with a bunch of
unusual planes(X-wing, Tie-fighter, Klingon). This can not be shipped by
SGI as these are copyrighted things. One of the first demos was snoopy
on a doghouse flying around. We were soon contacted and told we could not
use use it.

> - The -i and -o options are pretty dang nice for solo work!
>
> All in all, a super game!

Glad you like it.

> alek
>
> P.S. Getting the 747 off *without* touching the rudder pedals is a challenge!

If you can do this without hitting R to start at the end of the runway I
would like to know how.

Steven Fisher

Sep 16, 1992, 8:54:54 AM9/16/92

It's easy. Back the 747 Alll the way, flaps off. Then full throttle,
and give it full flaps just before you're out of runway.