SGI VW 320

Ryan

Jan 14, 2003, 4:14:39 PM1/14/03
I've just purchased a SGI VW 320 (2x550mhz, 1024mb ram, 2x9gb ultrawide scsi
drives) from eBay. I just have a few questions for those who might know :)

1. The SGI I've purchased already has the PROM update (1.1005), and is
currently running Win2k. If I ever need to reinstall the OS (format,
reinstall), how would I go about doing it? This computer has no media with
it and there were no Recovery Discs (1&2) that come with this. Am I able to
just reinstall Win2k without installing NT4? Do I install it from the PROM
boot screen, or boot to a floppy, and install it like any flavour of
Windows? Just need some insight here, please!

2. Does anyone have the Recovery CD's for VW 320? Could I get a copy of
them, or find out where you got them from? I called SGI and they said that
those CD's aren't available for consumer purchase...

3. Am I able to hook up the VW 320 to a "regular" PC monitor without any
adapters? What about the 1600SW? Any special adapters needed to hook the
1600SW up to the VW 320?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated! Also, any information websites
about the SGI VW 320 would be great too!

Thanks, Ryan.
r.pa...@nospam.shaw.ca
(rm nospam.)

3dru

Jan 14, 2003, 5:42:40 PM1/14/03
The sight your looking for with all the answers and links to further info is
http://www.btinternet.com/~sgi320/overview.htm I have several SGI 320s and
540s and have found the site most helpful.. Installing/reinstalling Windows
2000 should be no problem on the 320 because WK2 has the proper boot loader
on the commercial professional distribution. Windows XP is another story. I
have not found a way to install it on the 320/540 but I'm not alone. I
downloaded the pre release beta 2 of XP only to learn later that support for
the 320/540 was removed. If anyone has a beta One release I would guess
that the proper bootloader may work with the production release. If anyone
reading this has a copy please let me know if the boot loader is on Beta
One.

Thanks
Drew

Sean Wylie-Toal

Jan 14, 2003, 5:44:23 PM1/14/03
Installing windows is easy on the 320. In the prom menu search around until
you find the section for installing new system software. It'll ask for a
CD, just put it in an it'll start up. The prom will be updated with your OS
choice after the install as well. I can't remember what the exact
names/titles are of the menu's, it's been a while since I've use the 320.
But it is easy.

You shouldn't need the recovery CD's either, most of the software on them
was quite old and some NT4.0 specific. I would poke around ebay/newgroups
for them, but don't loose any sleep over it.

There is a special widget board that's needed to run a 1600sw off the 320.
They plug right into the motherboard and are sometimes hard to find...

WARNIG! Windows 2000 sometimes sucks on the 320. It's not (as of late
2001) fully supported and wasn't always very reliable in my experience. It
might be better to stick to NT4.0 if yo have it.

cheers & GL,

sean

"Ryan" <r.pa...@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message

Alexis Cousein

Jan 16, 2003, 8:13:09 AM1/16/03
to Ryan
Ryan wrote:
> I've just purchased a SGI VW 320 (2x550mhz, 1024mb ram, 2x9gb ultrawide scsi
> drives) from eBay. I just have a few questions for those who might know :)
>
> 1. The SGI I've purchased already has the PROM update (1.1005), and is
> currently running Win2k. If I ever need to reinstall the OS (format,
> reinstall), how would I go about doing it? This computer has no media with
> it and there were no Recovery Discs (1&2) that come with this. Am I able to
> just reinstall Win2k without installing NT4?

Yes.

> Do I install it from the PROM
> boot screen, or boot to a floppy, and install it like any flavour of
> Windows?

Yes. Do read the SSK notes -- you do need the Supplemental Software Kit.

--
<these messages express my own views, not those of my employer>
Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer

Logan Patrick Bales

Jan 18, 2003, 1:34:31 AM1/18/03
so does that mean you can not upgrade from 2k to xp, or that you just cant
do a clean install of xp by booting from an xp disk?

"3dru" <dfw...@nvbell.net> wrote in message