Flight/dog

Bill Nickless

Feb 27, 1992, 12:15:01 AM2/27/92
Two questions:

1. I notice that if I type T when in flight or dog I see what seem to
be "threat envelopes" for SAM sites that show up in the radar/nav
circle as well. However, when I fly around through them nothing
seems to happen. Is there another key or flag or something that I
need to do or set in order to make SAMs work? I've even tried putting
a rocket into the spot on the ground to no effect.

2. What, if any, options exist to license the source to flight and dog?
We have considered some enhancements of our own; like making a stealth
capability that makes a plane invisible but turns off the weapons
system too until the plane makes a safe landing.

I will say that SGI has done a lot of neat things (like flight/dog, the
CDplayer, and twilight background screen) for the the people that end up
with them on their desks.

Thanks,
---
Bill Nickless System Support Group <nick...@mcs.anl.gov> +1 708 252 7390

Gary Tarolli

Feb 27, 1992, 12:27:49 PM2/27/92
As of the 4.0.1 release, the versions of flight and dog that run
on the low end machine (PI and INDIGO) support SAM missiles.

SAM work like this -if you turn the threat cones on and violate their airspace
they fire at you - your plane type doesn't matter, if you are < 200' they
wont fire. They have 20 G vs. 16G acceleration compared to sidewinders.
You cannot detonate a SAM, they detonate themselves when they run
out of fuel (10 secs). If you have any weapon fired, it disappears when a
SAM is launched. They cannot be used in dogfight to kill enemies, they only
kill you. I couldn't think of an easy way to make them work in dogfight.It
wouldn't be fair unless the SAM were randomly scattered, otherwise when you
violated one's airspace, you'de violate them all and you'de have many SAMs
chasing you. Also, it wouldn't be fair if you couldn't see the enemy sites.
It would take more data in the packet, so I punted for now. Anyway, it offers
real good practice.

You can get the source code for all our demos by contacting Monica Shultz
at our corporate number 415.960.1980 her extension is x3320.
_____ ______ _ _ (508)562-4800 tar...@sgi.com
_/