Wishlist for SGI Flight Simulator

Guenter Wunner

Nov 29, 1992, 9:36:48 AM11/29/92

Just in case that anyone from SGI is reading this newsgroup, here's my
wishlist for future versions of the SGI Flight Simulator. Here at the
department, we often play the sim and would like to see improved
versions of the sim. Many thanx if some of our ideas are considered in
future versions.

- computer enemies: it is a bit boring just to cruise around and do a
couple of loopings. We would like to see enemies controlled by the
computer.
- more landscape: just one scenery with one airport, one mountain (and
these dummy mountains in the background), that's not enough. How about
two or three airports, lakes, cities, villages, streams, trees, cars?
At least another airport, a village and another mountain, ok?
- while we're at it: why did you choose such an unrealistic pink for
those dummy mountains in the background? I think you shouldn't choose
IBM CGA graphics when you could choose a better color from several
millions of colors!
- detail-o-meter: for these times when I would like to play flight and
several other jobs are running in the background, it would be a good
thing to be able to decrease/increase the detail level.
That's about all. Any additions?
Lukas.

*** Lukas Wunner, Hustadtring 143, 4630 Bochum, West-Germany ***
*** lu...@trillian.tp1.ruhr-uni-bochum.de / lu...@134.147.160.21 ***
*** "To err is human, but to really fuck things up takes a computer" ***

Hyunsuk Seung

Nov 29, 1992, 12:59:58 PM11/29/92
In article <wunner.723047808@nova> wun...@nova.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de (Guenter Wunner) writes:

>Just in case that anyone from SGI is reading this newsgroup, here's my
>wishlist for future versions of the SGI Flight Simulator. Here at the
>department, we often play the sim and would like to see improved
>versions of the sim. Many thanx if some of our ideas are considered in
>future versions.

I would like to add to the list as well...

PLEASE ADD MIGS TO THE SIMULATOR FOR LATER VERSION! Nothing is more
absurd than to fly US airplanes and shoot each other out. Even
replacing the skeleton mark on the tail of F-14 to a red star would
suffice for the task. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!?

Hyunsuk Seung
hse...@anat3d1.anatomy.upenn.edu

Nathan F. Janette

Nov 29, 1992, 10:54:58 PM11/29/92
(Guenter Wunner) writes:

> Just in case that anyone from SGI is reading this newsgroup, here's my
> wishlist for future versions of the SGI Flight Simulator.

Finally we get around to discussing the more important aspects of
SGI machines ;-)

> - computer enemies: it is a bit boring just to cruise around and do a
> couple of loopings. We would like to see enemies controlled by the
> computer.

You could output a flight's events and then fly against it in
a future game. You can even record that next flight again, and
fly against it, etc, etc. Not as exciting as if they could shoot
back at you, but it beats not shooting at anything! Check out
the man pages for flight and dog.

I'd like to see more refinement in the weapons systems:

-different radar modes including "jam"
-radar missiles similar to the current missiles that
only permit one guided weapon at a time.
- heat seeking missiles of shorter range that
have no limit on weapons in the air.
- guns that fire in bursts and have a limited
ammo supply.
- tweak plane defs to have the correct number of
weapons.

--
Nathan Janette
PPP link from hilbert.csb.yale.edu

Please reply to: nat...@laplace.csb.yale.edu (NeXT)

Rob Mace

Dec 1, 1992, 7:36:35 PM12/1/92
In article <wunner.723047808@nova>, wun...@nova.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de (Guenter Wunner) writes:

> Just in case that anyone from SGI is reading this newsgroup, here's my
> wishlist for future versions of the SGI Flight Simulator. Here at the
> department, we often play the sim and would like to see improved
> versions of the sim. Many thanx if some of our ideas are considered in
> future versions.
>
> - computer enemies: it is a bit boring just to cruise around and do a
> couple of loopings. We would like to see enemies controlled by the
> computer.

I hope to add this at some point.

> - more landscape: just one scenery with one airport, one mountain (and
> these dummy mountains in the background), that's not enough. How about
> two or three airports, lakes, cities, villages, streams, trees, cars?
> At least another airport, a village and another mountain, ok?

After I finish the unified flight(see below) this is the next major thing
I plan to do. I plan to add multiple scenery options. You will be
able to chose in what areas to fly.

> - while we're at it: why did you choose such an unrealistic pink for
> those dummy mountains in the background? I think you shouldn't choose
> IBM CGA graphics when you could choose a better color from several
> millions of colors!

This is a historical type of thing. Flight has had those silly purple
card board mountains for so long that I just can't see removing them.
For me they are part of what makes flight flight. They will continue
to be part of the flight classic scenery, but will not be part of the
newer scenery.

> - detail-o-meter: for these times when I would like to play flight and
> several other jobs are running in the background, it would be a good
> thing to be able to decrease/increase the detail level.

This will be part of the Unified flight I am working on.

Currently there are two versions of flight. One that is color index,
not z-buffered, and one that is RGB, z-buffered with more complex models.
Soon there will be one version that will run in the way best for whatever
system you are on. You will also be able to over ride how it decides to
run.

hse...@anat3d2.anatomy.upenn.edu (Hyunsuk Seung) writes

> I would like to add to the list as well...
>
> PLEASE ADD MIGS TO THE SIMULATOR FOR LATER VERSION! Nothing is more
> absurd than to fly US airplanes and shoot each other out. Even
> replacing the skeleton mark on the tail of F-14 to a red star would
> suffice for the task. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!?

If I can get some good geometric models for Migs I will add them to
flight.

nat...@laplace.csb.yale.edu (Nathan F. Janette) writes

> I'd like to see more refinement in the weapons systems:
>
> -different radar modes including "jam"
> -radar missiles similar to the current missiles that
> only permit one guided weapon at a time.
> - heat seeking missiles of shorter range that
> have no limit on weapons in the air.
> - guns that fire in bursts and have a limited
> ammo supply.
> - tweak plane defs to have the correct number of
> weapons.

I plan to add more realistic weapons as an option. Realism and game
balance don't always go hand in hand. It will be possible in the future
to configure dog fight areas. Anyone joining a dogfight in that area
must follow its rules.

Thanks for the comments and input.

Rob Mace

P.S. flight is mostly a spare time project for me so I can't commit to when
you will see any of these changes.

Mike Wilson

Dec 4, 1992, 7:08:42 AM12/4/92
one more wish: make user configurable icons/bitmaps/shapes....

>P.S. flight is mostly a spare time project for me so I can't commit to when
>you will see any of these changes.

Doing a great job anyway.

-mike

Guenter Wunner

Dec 6, 1992, 8:39:49 AM12/6/92

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree! The flight simulator is the best demo on the machine. People
here at the department spend most of their time flying around with
e.g. the Boeing 727. It's nice to see that the flight author is
reading the newsgroup and planning to add our ideas in future
releases. SGI should pay you for writing the program. It's absolutely
brillig!
Just my humble opinion.
Cheerio,
Lukas.

Jonathan Heiliger

Dec 6, 1992, 1:42:15 PM12/6/92

Ignore this message. Jsut a test.
--
Jonathan Heiliger ........ Electric Power Research Institute
Internet: -/- jona...@rahul.net -/- jona...@mecca.epri.com -/-