Help! rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname

Mathieu Viau

May 12, 2003, 2:17:36 AM5/12/03
Hello, I have an octane machine that just started to give this error
message when starting various programs :

rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname 'whateverthelibis.so'
under any of the filenames ...

I already checked that the file is really located in the specified
library path.

What else can I do?

Walter Roberson

May 12, 2003, 4:46:53 AM5/12/03
In article <W2Hva.701$z13.1...@news20.bellglobal.com>,
Mathieu Viau <mathie...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
:Hello, I have an octane machine that just started to give this error

Use 'file' to check the ABI information for the library. It might
not be compiled the same way as you compiled the program that calls
up on.

If I recall some previous postings, you would tend to see this
message after upgrading to the 7.4 compilers.
--
Feep if you love VT-52's.

Mathieu Viau

May 12, 2003, 4:14:50 PM5/12/03
Firstival Thanks for your reply,
But how do you explain that even 'sysmgr' does not even start up anymore
complaining with that error message about libsaPrivilege.so
Same thing for process manager --> libUtils.so

I don't think it has anything to do with the compiler unless I missed a
big thing about IRIX.

David Anderson

May 12, 2003, 7:12:25 PM5/12/03
In article <VjTva.882$I83.2...@news20.bellglobal.com>,

Mathieu Viau <mathie...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>Firstival Thanks for your reply,
>But how do you explain that even 'sysmgr' does not even start up anymore
>complaining with that error message about libsaPrivilege.so
>Same thing for process manager --> libUtils.so

I can't but you did not answer Walter's question...

>I don't think it has anything to do with the compiler unless I missed a
>big thing about IRIX.

If you install something that something could misbehave at install
time, right? I have no idea what 'sysmgr' is so cannot comment about that.

>Walter Roberson wrote:
>> In article <W2Hva.701$z13.1...@news20.bellglobal.com>,
>> Mathieu Viau <mathie...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> :Hello, I have an octane machine that just started to give this error
>> :message when starting various programs :
>>
>> : rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname 'whateverthelibis.so'
>> :under any of the filenames ...
>>
>> :I already checked that the file is really located in the specified
>> :library path.
>>
>> :What else can I do?
>>
>> Use 'file' to check the ABI information for the library. It might
>> not be compiled the same way as you compiled the program that calls
>> up on.
>>
>> If I recall some previous postings, you would tend to see this
>> message after upgrading to the 7.4 compilers.

I've forgotten the details, sorry.

Walter says:
Use 'file' to check the ABI information for the library. It might
not be compiled the same way as you compiled the program that calls
up on.

So do it.
If both the executable and the DSO say the same ABI that's what
you want -- but it's hard to see how they could match, else
you would not get the failure you mention.

/usr/lib should have ONLY o32 DSOs.
/usr/lib32 should have ONLY n32 DSOs.
/usr/lib64 should have ONLY -64 DSOs.

Other library setups would (ideally) follow some organized
way of dealing with this, but naturally most freeware
is not built with multiple-possible ABIs in mind...

Mixing ABIs in a single directory is going to lead to frustration.
Unless you are very lucky.

At one time rld issued a warning when a DSO was found that was
the wrong ABI, but that irritated folks, and to no purpose,
as usually in a later path rld would find the right ABI.

So we made that ABI mismatch just fail silently.
You can turn on the warning.
setenv _RLD_ARGS "-v"
Now this will show other messages,
some of which you don't care about, but
look for
"rld: Warning: elfmap: running old 32-bit executable but ..."
(exact text depends on executable ABI).

You cannot redirect these messages with shell redirection.
man rld
and look for the _RLD*_PATH and _RLD_ARGS -log options.

Sorry you are having trouble.
David B. Anderson da...@sgi.com http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea