"Song and Dance" Indigo LG2

已查看 95 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Chris Reece

未读,
2000年2月21日 03:00:002000/2/21
收件人
An interesting bit of trivia for the SGI collectors out there.

I've just inherited another Indigo to take home and add to the collection.
On opening it up to see what I had been given I was surprized to find an
odd graphics board. Not the 24-bit board I was hoping for, rather an odd
edition of the LG2 entry level graphics board.

Instead of the usual half length board -- I've seen this inside of a number
of Indigos and the 8-bit gfx bards were always half-length with a steel
plate -- the board come all the way to the front of the machine. Silk
screened on the unused portion of the board is the following:

THE SONG AND DANCE MACHINE

[unintelligible logo]

Bill & Ted (& Keith)'s Excellent Machine

Executive Producer Mike Ramsay
Director Carol Peters

Writers Bill Weatherford
Keith Cox

Soundtrack Ted Marsh

[snip]

And a supporting cast of thousands ...

The part number down the side of the board reads:

LG2 ASSY 030-8077-001 REV 2 (1991)

I can't find any info on this interesting board, and can't get the
machine to start up until my new RTC battery arrives. Has anyone heard
of this board before?

It's put a smile on my miserable mug, anyway.

Chris.

David Evans

未读,
2000年2月21日 03:00:002000/2/21
收件人
In article <88rdh1$nev$1...@pump1.york.ac.uk>,

Chris Reece <ca...@york.ac.uk> wrote:

>I've just inherited another Indigo to take home and add to the collection.
>On opening it up to see what I had been given I was surprized to find an
>odd graphics board. Not the 24-bit board I was hoping for, rather an odd
>edition of the LG2 entry level graphics board.

I have this in both of my Indigos. It seems to behave just like an LG1.

--
David Evans (NeXTMail/MIME OK) dfe...@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

Walter Roberson

未读,
2000年2月21日 03:00:002000/2/21
收件人
In article <88rdh1$nev$1...@pump1.york.ac.uk>,
Chris Reece <ca...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
:I've just inherited another Indigo to take home and add to the collection.
:On opening it up to see what I had been given I was surprized to find an
:odd graphics board. Not the 24-bit board I was hoping for, rather an odd
:edition of the LG2 entry level graphics board.

: THE SONG AND DANCE MACHINE

: LG2 ASSY 030-8077-001 REV 2 (1991)

It's the first public rev of the LG1 entry graphics board. The team
was just celebrating getting the board completed. There are not substantial
operational differences with later revs.

Dave Olson

未读,
2000年2月21日 03:00:002000/2/21
收件人
robe...@ibd.nrc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:
| It's the first public rev of the LG1 entry graphics board. The team
| was just celebrating getting the board completed. There are not substantial
| operational differences with later revs.

Right; no functional differences; it was a cost-reduction measure,
which unfortunately cost the artwork, and the one piece of hardware
with my name on it ;)

I've got one of them on the wall of my office as a memento (the first
SGI system that I had substantial involvement with at the system and
chip design level).

Of course, it sort of unfairly ommitted a number of other folks who
contributed as much as those of us listed, but that's the way these
things go sometimes.

Dave Olson
Owned by 6 cats, owner of none...
Personal: ol...@bengaltech.com Work: ol...@geocast.com
http://www.bengaltech.com http://www.geocast.com

Chris Reece

未读,
2000年2月22日 03:00:002000/2/22
收件人
Dave Olson <ol...@redtail.bengaltech.com> wrote:

> Right; no functional differences; it was a cost-reduction measure,
> which unfortunately cost the artwork, and the one piece of hardware
> with my name on it ;)

Ahh, yes! There you are, right under Special Projects. I didn't notice
your name nestled down there.

It's always nice to pick up some of that lore, though I think it'd
probably be a mixed blessing to be named on it.

I sha'n't be doing anything so frivolous as pinning the board to the wall,
though; the machine will shortly be in service as an X terminal. Once I
can get hold of another RTC battery.

Seems to be Logan's Run time for Indigos at the moment.

Chris.

Chris Reece

未读,
2000年2月22日 03:00:002000/2/22
收件人
Dave Olson <ol...@redtail.bengaltech.com> wrote:

> I've got one of them on the wall of my office as a memento (the first
> SGI system that I had substantial involvement with at the system and
> chip design level).

In which case, Dave, you might be able to help me out. If I stand four
feet away from the board, turn the lights down, put my head on one side
and poke myself in the eye (left eye) that logo looks sorta like a
stylised dancing mouse in a waistcoat. What is it *supposed* to look
like?

:)

Chris.

David Evans

未读,
2000年2月22日 03:00:002000/2/22
收件人
In article <88tjef$a3t$1...@pump1.york.ac.uk>,

Chris Reece <ca...@york.ac.uk> wrote:

>It's always nice to pick up some of that lore, though I think it'd
>probably be a mixed blessing to be named on it.

Oh, I don't know. The LG1-based Indigo R3000 had pretty smoking X
performance at the time. I remember that the one we had on loan smoked
anything else I had used.

Chris Reece

未读,
2000年2月22日 03:00:002000/2/22
收件人
David Evans <dfe...@bcr4.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Oh, I don't know. The LG1-based Indigo R3000 had pretty smoking X
> performance at the time. I remember that the one we had on loan smoked
> anything else I had used.

Oh, no, I didn't mean that you might not want to be associated with it!
I just meant that being part of the ``lore'' might give someone mixed
feelings; on the one hand they were there and they did something of
import, on the other hand it implies that it was a *long* time ago.

I discovered I was getting old the other day when I realised that the
current generation have never seen a rotary dial phone. One with a real
bell.

Chris.

skyw...@my-deja.com

未读,
2000年2月22日 03:00:002000/2/22
收件人

> I discovered I was getting old the other day when I realised that the
> current generation have never seen a rotary dial phone. One with a
real
> bell.

no wonder linux is so popular.

life was brutal before the rubout key on phones was implemented.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Scott Elyard

未读,
2000年2月22日 03:00:002000/2/22
收件人
In article <88ug23$iuk$1...@pump1.york.ac.uk>, Chris Reece <ca...@york.ac.uk> wrote:

--\ I discovered I was getting old the other day when I realised that the
--\ current generation have never seen a rotary dial phone. One with a real
--\ bell.
--\
--\ Chris.

Hey! I remember those! U.S. Military offices carried those well through
1989. I remember 'em from my Dad's offices whenever he'd take to work
with him.

Always fun, playing with the bell, spinning the dial.

I've been looking for one for my personal phone at home.

--
Scott Elyard ~~~ooOOoo~~~~stonebu...@yahoo.com~~~~~~z
What I'm doing when I should be studying:

John Bokma

未读,
2000年2月24日 03:00:002000/2/24
收件人
Hi,

http://castleamber.com/sd1.jpg
http://castleamber.com/sd2.jpg

Made these a while back. Didn't know I have a "special" Indigo.
How many of these where made?

BTW, mine is 030-8077-001 REV 1 (1991) ( 1C013M on the barcode thingy)

John

--

C A S T L E A M B E R http://www.castleamber.com/
software * development mailto:jo...@castleamber.com

Chris Reece

未读,
2000年2月24日 03:00:002000/2/24
收件人
skyw...@my-deja.com wrote:

> life was brutal before the rubout key on phones was implemented.

Yet another evolutionary pressure gone.

*sigh*

Chris.

Dave Olson

未读,
2000年2月25日 03:00:002000/2/25
收件人
Chris Reece <ca...@york.ac.uk> writes:
| In which case, Dave, you might be able to help me out. If I stand four
| feet away from the board, turn the lights down, put my head on one side
| and poke myself in the eye (left eye) that logo looks sorta like a
| stylised dancing mouse in a waistcoat. What is it *supposed* to look
| like?

It's intended to be a (very, given that it's basicly monochrome ;))
stylized dancer in flowing clothes.

Godwin

未读,
2000年2月25日 03:00:002000/2/25
收件人
Good thing sgi engineers doesn't depend on their art to make a
living...;-) Now can someone tell me why SGI stocks has benefitted from
the linux craze?!?! :-)

Godwin
Never Beige
http://www.orcawerks.com/sgi/

: | feet away from the board, turn the lights down, put my head on one side

: | and poke myself in the eye (left eye) that logo looks sorta like a
: | stylised dancing mouse in a waistcoat. What is it *supposed* to look

: It's intended to be a (very, given that it's basicly monochrome ;))

Dollar

未读,
2000年3月2日 03:00:002000/3/2
收件人

David Evans skrev i meldingen <88ubva$rnn$1...@watserv3.uwaterloo.ca>...
>In article <88tjef$a3t$1...@pump1.york.ac.uk>,

>Chris Reece <ca...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>It's always nice to pick up some of that lore, though I think it'd
>>probably be a mixed blessing to be named on it.
>>

> Oh, I don't know. The LG1-based Indigo R3000 had pretty smoking X
>performance at the time. I remember that the one we had on loan smoked
>anything else I had used.

I still use mine, and it serves me well.

John Enger

carol....@gmail.com

未读,
2013年9月7日 12:11:412013/9/7
收件人
On Monday, February 21, 2000 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Chris Reece wrote:
> An interesting bit of trivia for the SGI collectors out there.
>
> I've just inherited another Indigo to take home and add to the collection.
> On opening it up to see what I had been given I was surprized to find an
> odd graphics board. Not the 24-bit board I was hoping for, rather an odd
> edition of the LG2 entry level graphics board.
>
> Instead of the usual half length board -- I've seen this inside of a number
> of Indigos and the 8-bit gfx bards were always half-length with a steel
> plate -- the board come all the way to the front of the machine. Silk
> screened on the unused portion of the board is the following:
>
> THE SONG AND DANCE MACHINE
>
> [unintelligible logo]
>
> Bill & Ted (& Keith)'s Excellent Machine
>
> Executive Producer Mike Ramsay
> Director Carol Peters
>
> Writers Bill Weatherford
> Keith Cox
>
> Soundtrack Ted Marsh
>
> [snip]
>
> And a supporting cast of thousands ...
>
> The part number down the side of the board reads:
>
> LG2 ASSY 030-8077-001 REV 2 (1991)
>
> I can't find any info on this interesting board, and can't get the
> machine to start up until my new RTC battery arrives. Has anyone heard
> of this board before?
>
> It's put a smile on my miserable mug, anyway.
>
> Chris.

yup, that was the original low-end graphics board
Larry Gonick designed the logo
if I can find a pic, I'll send it to you

Carol Peters

corn

未读,
2013年9月7日 19:40:562013/9/7
收件人
http://www.megarat.com/indigo/docs/partnumbers.txt tells us

6.2 Graphics Boards

LG1 030-8077-001 Starter Graphics
LG1 030-8077-003 Starter Graphics
LG1 030-8077-004 Starter Graphics

GR2 030-8058-006 Express, 4 GE
GR2 030-8122-001 Express, 2 GE
GR2 030-8058-007 Express, 1 GE
ZB4 030-8060-001 Rev A Express, Z Buffer Board
ZB4 030-8060-001 Rev C Express, Z Buffer Board
ZB4 030-8060-001 Rev D Express, Z Buffer Board
VB1.1 030-8093-001 Rev A Express, Video Buffer Board
VB1.1 030-8093-002 Rev F Express, Video Buffer Board
VB1.2 030-8113-001 Express, Video Buffer Board
VM2 030-8059-002 Rev A Express, Video Memory Board

2GE7 030-8121-001 Rev A Express, Jumper
RE3 9700851 Express, LSI Logic RE3 Rasterengine
GE7 9700842 Express, LSI Logic GE7 Geometryengine
HQ2 9700818 Express, LSI Logic HQ2
VC1 9700??? Express, LSI Logic VC1

so you've got a good old one there. I wish I knew that someone still
was collecting Indigos. I turned my Indigo R4400 150 MHz into Best Buy
for recycling just a little while ago. It had top of the line graphics
in it, except for that fact it was missing the Z buffer board.

I still have 2 hard drives (SGI PN 9410824 and a Seagate Barracuda 9 GB,
both IRIX 6.2 I think, though one still might be 5.3), one DDS tape
drive, and all three are on sleds still.

I recycled the Indigo because the TOD battery died, and I wasn't willing
to spend the effort to solder a new battery in its place. I figured it
would cost me more to buy a battery than I could get selling the Indigo.
You don't even want to know how much I paid for that 9 GB hard disk
back in 2000 or so...

On 9/7/2013 12:11 PM, carol....@gmail.com wrote:
<cut>
> On Monday, February 21, 2000 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Chris Reece wrote:
>> The part number down the side of the board reads:
<cut>

Richard

未读,
2013年10月6日 12:28:342013/10/6
收件人

corn <co...@dog.com> spake the secret code
<l0gdia$eqb$1...@speranza.aioe.org> thusly:

>[...] I wish I knew that someone still
>was collecting Indigos.

Oh, they are. I am looking for them for the Computer Graphics Museum.
I keep finding them in a semi-damaged state on ebay (missing doors,
missing hard drives, batteries needing replacement, etc.).

People on nekochan also like them.

>I recycled the Indigo because the TOD battery died, and I wasn't willing
>to spend the effort to solder a new battery in its place. I figured it
>would cost me more to buy a battery than I could get selling the Indigo.

They usually manage to sell on ebay in worse condition than yours.

I'm not the only one that would have been interested.
The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>
0 个新帖子