the slowest SGI you ever used?

corn

Jun 20, 2010, 5:53:23 PM6/20/10
In a continuing bold--and still no doubt eventually doom to fail--attempt to
have some activity on this group again, I ask the following question:

What was the slowest SGI you ever used?

For me it was a Personal Iris. We had several of these laying around and
I fixed them up just to learn a little more about IRIX 5.3. They ended
up being named sloth, slug, and grub. We had the tan pre-Trinitron monitors
on them, and the full-height hard disks. I don't remember whatever became
of these machines, but when I was there they were never anything more than
something to play with.

I also used an Indigo R3300 33 MHz, and set it up at what would have been
the reception's desk if we had a receptionist. I still have a R4400 150 MHz
Indigo with what would be XS24 graphics if I had a z-buffer card (I think
that's right anyway). I put a 7200 RPM 9 GB hard disk in it (which cost
$354.85 in 2000), and the system worked perfectly until the time of day clock
battery went bad. I'll have to replace that one day...

--
He said that there's nothing Silicon Graphics has that you won't be able to
do on a $99 application on a PC two years from now.

Richard

Jun 22, 2010, 2:56:24 PM6/22/10

corn <co...@dog.com> spake the secret code
<McSdnWGCIq9JEIPR...@rcn.net> thusly:

>In a continuing bold--and still no doubt eventually doom to fail--attempt to
>have some activity on this group again, I ask the following question:

I don't think this group can be revived. Its not suffering from
lurkers, but from a lack of subscribers. Most SGI fans are over on
nekochan.net these days, or on other more active venues like the
rescue or cctalk mailing lists.

>What was the slowest SGI you ever used?

Must have been a PI in 1988 for me. I don't recall the specific
model, but it was either 25 or 33 MHz.