What the heck is up with this?

Scott OQ Elyard

Dec 1, 2002, 12:58:24 AM12/1/02
Heighdy all,

I'm trying to install a bigger system drive into an Octane, and it's
giving me a bizarre error.

I've tried two different CDROM drives that have tested just fine on
other systems (an Indigo2, in this case), and my OS media isn't to
blame, either.

At the PROM:

>> hinv
[...]
SCSI CDROM: scsi(1)cdrom(6)
[...]
(tried first with a 12x Toshiba CDROM, then with an old 2x
CDROM...both of which I've used on SGI machines before; even this
particular Octane)

Here's what I get:

>> boot -f dksc(1,6,8)sash64
896+120512+16981+3872 entry: 0x980000005ffa5088
efs read error, bad count
Unable to execute xio(0)pci(15)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)/unix:
media not loaded

Autoboot failed.
xio(0)pci(15)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)/unix: media not loaded

Hit Enter to continue.

Anybody got a clue?

----
Scott Elyard
(Gosh darn it.)
www.archosaur.org

SkyWriter

Dec 1, 2002, 9:15:47 AM12/1/02
Scott OQ Elyard wrote:

since you don't mention it, and it's an obvious
suspect: cable? terminator?

Scott OQ Elyard

Dec 1, 2002, 3:37:45 PM12/1/02
SkyWriter <skyw...@mrnutty.com> wrote in message news:<3DEA3E07...@mrnutty.com>...
[...]

> since you don't mention it, and it's an obvious
> suspect: cable? terminator?

I suppose the cable might be to blame (I'll see if I can't scare one
up), but not two different active terminators.

But... I never get SCSI errors of any kind copying data from CD across
the network with the same hardware...

Scott OQ Elyard

Dec 15, 2002, 3:01:19 PM12/15/02
SkyWriter <skyw...@mrnutty.com> wrote in message news:<3DEA3E07...@mrnutty.com>...

Turns out neither is the culprit. The OS media is sound because I can
load sash just fine on any number of other machines (Indy, Indigo2,
Origin200...). I swapped CDROM drives and cables.

Same errors. Same complaint to the effect that "media is not loaded."

Therefore, in whatever subtle way, my Octane is to blame. I guess
I'll be looking for a new mainboard here soon.

----
Scott Elyard
(Damn.)
www.archosaur.org

Norm Dresner

Dec 15, 2002, 6:57:58 PM12/15/02
Scott OQ Elyard <stonebu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It won't help but it will be some consolation that I've had the same
problem with known good CD-ROM drives on Octanes. Some work and some don't.
If you want to install the system you can attach the CD-ROM drive to
another computer and do a remote installation if you have the appropriate
network hardware between them.

Norm

yi ge mei you wei ba

Dec 16, 2002, 1:47:44 AM12/16/02
Norm Dresner wrote:

> It won't help but it will be some consolation that I've had the same
> problem with known good CD-ROM drives on Octanes. Some work and some don't.
> If you want to install the system you can attach the CD-ROM drive to
> another computer and do a remote installation if you have the appropriate
> network hardware between them.

Mine drove me crazy with several different drives. Now I use an o2
for reading CD's. Not too much more expensive, about the same floor
space, and I can use it for a cimputer in between reading CD's :-)

No Spam

Dec 16, 2002, 8:03:43 PM12/16/02

Scott OQ Elyard wrote:

Erf. The SGI CDROM drive I bought lasted about a week before it
was dead, and IIRC I was getting "media is not loaded" errors when
trying to reinstall the OS. Neither the boot PROM nor IRIX are
very good about dealing with random SCSI CDROM drives (after all,
its a media system!) so a new mainboard may not solve your problems.
I've seen people suggest used O2s and linux systems as network CDROM
drives, and it may be cheaper and more reliable than an SGI drive in
the long run...

-Steve

dsha...@gmail.com

May 30, 2014, 4:40:07 PM5/30/14