Is there _any_ way to do proper multitrack recording on Octane?

Atro Tossavainen

Feb 8, 2005, 1:09:09 PM2/8/05
Got myself an Octane since one could be had for practically nothing
second hand. Then I figured "it's got ADAT connectors, let's start
making music". Got a preamp/AD/DA/ADAT box. Connected everything.

Then it hit me: I have no software. I figured putting in the latest
and greatest OS release with everything included should have done the
job, since some tools to that effect are included. (Yes, I know what
I am doing. My day job consists of administering SGI machines for
bio* purposes, and I've been doing this for years.)

soundtrack won't allow me to record from the ADAT inputs. In fact,
it seems that attempting to record anything inside soundtrack is a
bad idea. It looks like it started recording, but once I hit stop,
soundtrack just freezes. It doesn't even crash. The rest of the
computer keeps going. An annoying side note is that checking "Monitor"
in audiopanel only allows me to monitor the two first channels of the 8.

mediarecorder will allow me to record all 8 tracks at once, so I
suppose I can make rudimentary multi-channel recordings, and it
looks like it will be possible to edit them in soundtrack, but
it can't really be this basic, can it?

Is there _any_ way that I will be able to use the Octane as a proper
digital multitrack recording workstation? I really don't feel like
doing this on Linux, and I certainly am not going to touch either
Windows or Macintosh. Is it a dead end?

zolo

Feb 8, 2005, 3:21:28 PM2/8/05
Atro Tossavainen wrote:

> Is there _any_ way that I will be able to use the Octane as a proper
> digital multitrack recording workstation? I really don't feel like
> doing this on Linux, and I certainly am not going to touch either
> Windows or Macintosh. Is it a dead end?

The Macintosh seems to be good enough for practically the
entire professional music industry...

I supposed that somewhere there are video enthusiasts who
refuse to use anything but the Amiga. They've been left
behind while the rest of the world evolved.

-zolo

Walther Mathieu

Feb 8, 2005, 5:35:29 PM2/8/05
Atro Tossavainen wrote:
> Then it hit me: I have no software.

Too sad Steinberg Nuendo for IRIX never made it out of the lab.
It seems they decided to port to Windows before it was available.
Nice screenshots,t hough. Go google...

Walther

hea...@aracnet.com

Feb 8, 2005, 5:46:47 PM2/8/05
In comp.sys.sgi.audio zolo <zo...@nospam.net> wrote:
> Atro Tossavainen wrote:

> > Is there _any_ way that I will be able to use the Octane as a proper
> > digital multitrack recording workstation? I really don't feel like
> > doing this on Linux, and I certainly am not going to touch either
> > Windows or Macintosh. Is it a dead end?

> The Macintosh seems to be good enough for practically the
> entire professional music industry...

More importantly software exists, is obtainable, and depending on what you
get in the way of hardware and software probably won't require selling a
Kidney.

Personally I rather wish the o2 was better suited for such things, as it
would make a nice DAW if I had a high quality audio interface and good
software.

> I supposed that somewhere there are video enthusiasts who
> refuse to use anything but the Amiga. They've been left
> behind while the rest of the world evolved.

> -zolo

I tend to suspect that anyone left in this catagory is more of an Amiga
Fantatic than a video enthusiast.

Zane

zolo

Feb 8, 2005, 9:53:32 PM2/8/05

I see you've grasped my point. ;)

-zolo

Atro Tossavainen

Feb 9, 2005, 2:29:33 AM2/9/05
zolo <zo...@nospam.net> writes:

> The Macintosh seems to be good enough for practically the
> entire professional music industry...

Yes. But like I said, my $DAYJOB involves being a UNIX administrator,
so IRIX is a comfortable environment for me. I also already have the
hardware. I don't have a Mac or the necessary add-on hardware to do
pro audio on it, and I don't want a Mac either. If this whole thing
means purchasing more hardware would be necessary, I'll probably just
forget about the whole thing, sell off the 8-channel AD/DA/ADAT box,
and continue being happy doing two-track digital straight to DAT which
I already know I can edit on the Octane.

Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski

Feb 9, 2005, 5:16:08 AM2/9/05
> I tend to suspect that anyone left in this catagory is more of an Amiga
> Fantatic than a video enthusiast.

That's where you're wrong: I'm both of that ;-)

However, I do video on PS and Indy, and I do music on Amiga, and CS1x, U220
and Wavestation ;-) :-p

Rambo

zolo

Feb 10, 2005, 2:14:09 PM2/10/05
Atro Tossavainen wrote:
If this whole thing
> means purchasing more hardware would be necessary, I'll probably just
> forget about the whole thing, sell off the 8-channel AD/DA/ADAT box,
> and continue being happy doing two-track digital straight to DAT which
> I already know I can edit on the Octane.

Out of curiosity, which AD/DA/ADAT box do you have?

I know that the later versions of discreet smoke (Octane2
and Tezro) use a Lucid ADA8824. Of course, those systems
are a bit pricey... ;-)

You might try using the IRIX version of Premiere 4.2 as an
audio editor. Not sure if it supports the ADAT I/O though,
and it's a bit of a kludge, since Premiere is a video
editing app.

-zolo

David Shaffer

Feb 10, 2005, 5:02:04 PM2/10/05
> Then it hit me: I have no software. I figured putting in the latest
> and greatest OS release with everything included should have done the
> job, since some tools to that effect are included. (Yes, I know what
> I am doing. My day job consists of administering SGI machines for
> bio* purposes, and I've been doing this for years.)

Sountrack can do ADAT I/O. There is a dialog somewhere (I don't recall
off-hand) that allows you to select to use 8 channel input and output.

I have used it with a MOTU 828 mkII.

Some of the Audio loops/samples that I use were created on my Octane
using the ADAT I/O. And most of my samples were "normalized" and
processed using my Octane. In the end, I used Logic and Apple mostly
because of the ability to use MIDI instruments as audio (a midi
instrument playing along side other recordings).

And yes, I have had it (Soundtrack) freeze on me as well. It has
something to do with having the I/O settings different than Audio
Panel. When I use Soundtrack, I make sure that all audio settings
match.

Someday, I hope to have some time to write a simple recording app that
does audio clips w/ MIDI clips as well. The SGI audio/midi APIs are
pretty nice. .. just need to make the time.

http://homepage.mac.com/shaffer.david/

PS. If you're going to use the ADAT I/O, make sure that you have set
ADAT as the default in AudioPanel and make sure sample rates and width
are set correctly or you'll get the lock-up problems.

arie van schutterhoef

Feb 11, 2005, 9:35:31 AM2/11/05
> I have used it with a MOTU 828 mkII.
-Curious about how you connected it to the Octane...
Was it the ADAT or the PCI connection?

AvS

Atro Tossavainen

Feb 14, 2005, 3:39:45 AM2/14/05
zolo <zo...@nospam.net> writes:

> Out of curiosity, which AD/DA/ADAT box do you have?

Behringer ADA8000.

> I know that the later versions of discreet smoke (Octane2
> and Tezro) use a Lucid ADA8824. Of course, those systems
> are a bit pricey... ;-)

I just got whatever the local pro audio shop was offering.

> You might try using the IRIX version of Premiere 4.2 as an
> audio editor. Not sure if it supports the ADAT I/O though,
> and it's a bit of a kludge, since Premiere is a video
> editing app.

Indeed. And I'd have to get hold of Premiere first.

Atro Tossavainen

Feb 14, 2005, 4:04:51 AM2/14/05
"David Shaffer" <shaffe...@mac.com> writes:

> Sountrack can do ADAT I/O. There is a dialog somewhere (I don't recall
> off-hand) that allows you to select to use 8 channel input and output.

I have seen the "Use 8 channel output" in the Tracks menu, but I haven't
seen a corresponding menu option for input anywhere, and the track-specific
input selectors don't do anything other than "None/Left Ch/Right Ch".

> And yes, I have had it (Soundtrack) freeze on me as well. It has
> something to do with having the I/O settings different than Audio
> Panel. When I use Soundtrack, I make sure that all audio settings
> match.

There's hardly anything there. I've set the AD/DA/ADAT box to talk
44.1 kHz to the outside world, and this reflects automatically in the
Audio Panel's view of the ADAT input. I've also set the Analog Out
to 44.1 kHz, and my Soundtrack project is in 44.1 kHz.

> Someday, I hope to have some time to write a simple recording app that
> does audio clips w/ MIDI clips as well. The SGI audio/midi APIs are
> pretty nice. .. just need to make the time.

If you have the expertise, what about contributing an SGI interface
to Ardour?

> PS. If you're going to use the ADAT I/O, make sure that you have set
> ADAT as the default in AudioPanel and make sure sample rates and width
> are set correctly or you'll get the lock-up problems.

I guess I have to see if the ADA8000 only outputs 24-bit.

David Shaffer

Feb 16, 2005, 11:08:21 PM2/16/05

I used the ADAT directly.

I also have a little Yamaha mixer that has ADAT and SPDIF support. I
don't believe that there is a port that has gone unused on my SGI. I
kinda tinkered with everything.

I don't have the PCI option on my Octane.

David Shaffer

Feb 16, 2005, 11:25:33 PM2/16/05
>seen the "Use 8 channel output" in the Tracks menu, but I haven't
>seen a corresponding menu option for input anywhere, and the
track-specific
>input selectors don't do anything other than "None/Left Ch/Right Ch".

Well.. I don't recall what I did for input. I thought that I was able
to select it in the track as you describe.

>There's hardly anything there.  I've set the AD/DA/ADAT box to talk
>44.1 kHz to the outside world, and this reflects automatically in the
>Audio Panel's view of the ADAT input.  I've also set the Analog Out
>to 44.1 kHz, and my Soundtrack project is in 44.1 kHz.

That sounds correct. But make sure the bit-width is the same.

Also, when you create a new project you can select 48kHz I/O, etc..
but again, make sure everything matches. One other thing that I
remember is that I used the SGI clock. I set the MOTU unit to use the
external clock (the SGI clock).

>If you have the expertise, what about contributing an SGI interface
>to Ardour?

I am unfamiliar with Ardour. It appeared that Rosegarden would be
fairly successful. But, I lost track of how that project was doing.

If I only had time... getting married, having kids.. man, what can I
say? I have no time!

Also, I recently bought the Abelton Live program for OSX. That has got
to be the single coolest product for music production that I have ever
used. So for the spare time that I have, I spend playing. C'est la
vie!

>I guess I have to see if the ADA8000 only outputs 24-bit.

Yep. It makes a difference.

Atro Tossavainen

Feb 16, 2005, 11:30:20 PM2/16/05
"David Shaffer" <shaffe...@mac.com> writes:

> Also, when you create a new project you can select 48kHz I/O, etc..
> but again, make sure everything matches. One other thing that I
> remember is that I used the SGI clock. I set the MOTU unit to use the
> external clock (the SGI clock).

Have to try that.

> If I only had time... getting married, having kids.. man, what can I
> say? I have no time!

Sounds so familiar...

Ralf Gauglitz

Feb 17, 2005, 7:33:15 AM2/17/05
High here,

> Is there _any_ way that I will be able to use the Octane as a proper
> digital multitrack recording workstation? I really don't feel like
> doing this on Linux, and I certainly am not going to touch either
> Windows or Macintosh. Is it a dead end?

No, it isn't. APanel can play 8 ADAT tracks. You just have to set this
manually in

.audiopanelrc

make sure you switch off monitoring Line In and AES IN !. Make ADAT Out
your default out. Set Your ADAT out to 48 kHz (what else ?) and be sure
that the AES out isn't working too ! That the odd thing. Sometimes I
fire up the machine and ADAT Out AND AES out are switched on. Sounds
pretty weird - I used it for FX already ;-) But there are only 2 ADAT
track to hear just like you wrote.
So you'd see and hear all 8 channels.

For multitracking Soundtrack will do with this preferences.
Built 8 oder how much track you need (build them new !) toggle all of
them to record and move with the cursor over all tracks to activate them
go for some more time as you really need. (They change their color then.
yellow - with the color scheme I use). I know it sounds a bit weird but
it works. Looks like Soundtrack has got a BBoB (Big Box o'Bugs), If it
still doesn't work, switch every track to solo (the star in the upper
line). I know that makes absolutely no sense - but that worx too !
You should now be able to record 8 tracks together.

You know that (Linux) soft called MIX ? It's ported to 6.5 and works.
Looks ugly but works fine. For FX and stuff I'd suggest DAP, but you
surely have that soft already.

To your problem: Maybe you consider robbing a bank or something and buy
some Steinberg stuff ! Yes, they sell 'inofficially' for example CuBase
for IRIX but for pretty high prices.
Maybe you'll get your hand on some (professional) VIDEO soft like AVID
or even Premiere (it's also available for IRIX !). The all do at least 8
tracks from whatever input you choose. Just remove all the Video tracks
so ou have enough room for the audio tracks.

BTW: I LOOOVE Amiga's ;-) I never will forgive myself ! I sold my
3000T/040 PPS Proc, Cybervision Gfx bla.... I was such an idiot. It was
always the "poor mans' SGI" but many things were better...

Hope that helps to get you started

Cheers
Ralf

Questions ? Don't hesitate !

r...@3d-artworx.de

http://www.3d-artworx.de
-"- .com
http://www.artworx-studios.co.uk

hea...@aracnet.com

Feb 17, 2005, 8:40:42 PM2/17/05
In comp.sys.sgi.audio Ralf Gauglitz <r...@3d-artworx.de> wrote:
> BTW: I LOOOVE Amiga's ;-) I never will forgive myself ! I sold my
> 3000T/040 PPS Proc, Cybervision Gfx bla.... I was such an idiot. It was
> always the "poor mans' SGI" but many things were better...

Amiga 3000/030, 18MB RAM, 4GB HD, Picasso IV Video Card, 10Base2 Ethernet,
and a Catweasel running Amiga OS 3.9, but it like my Atari TT030 are in
storage (I almost got the Atari out to do some Midi last year).

I've been keeping an eye on the Amiga One's and Amiga OS 4.0, but can't see
a real reason to buy one.

Zane

Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski

Feb 18, 2005, 7:20:09 AM2/18/05
> Amiga 3000/030, 18MB RAM, 4GB HD, Picasso IV Video Card, 10Base2
> Ethernet, and a Catweasel running Amiga OS 3.9, but it like my Atari
> TT030 are in storage (I almost got the Atari out to do some Midi last
> year).
>
> I've been keeping an eye on the Amiga One's and Amiga OS 4.0, but can't
> see a real reason to buy one.

I have A1200, 32+2 MB RAM, 68030/28 + 68882/25, 2.2 GB HDD, 3com EtherLink
XL (100/10- PCMCIA), MIDI intercace looped with PC and three (soon four)
synths serving as good old sequencer and librarian for sounds. Plus, it
still runs with OS3.0

Ralf Gauglitz

Feb 21, 2005, 9:30:59 AM2/21/05
Maybe you find this

http://web.archive.org/web/20010628020227/reality.sgi.com/dscott/audio.apps/adat.html

useful

Cheers
Ralf

--
- File reality.sys corrupted. Reboot universerse ? y/n -

Ralf Gauglitz

Feb 21, 2005, 4:36:09 AM2/21/05
Oh Man !

>>BTW: I LOOOVE Amiga's ;-) I never will forgive myself ! I sold my
>>3000T/040 PPS Proc, Cybervision Gfx bla.... I was such an idiot. It was
>>always the "poor mans' SGI" but many things were better...
>

> Amiga 3000/030, 18MB RAM, 4GB HD, Picasso IV Video Card, 10Base2 Ethernet,
> and a Catweasel running Amiga OS 3.9,

Don't you make my jump outside the window, ok ? :;-) The Picasso must
(heve) be(en) an cool toy !, I had no Ethernet, but I ran 2 PowerPC
Procs. Woooooow ! the Cybervision was a bit lame but the only one these
days available

but it like my Atari TT030 are in
> storage (I almost got the Atari out to do some Midi last year).

Funny ! I do ALL of my MIDI work, even sync'ing the HD Recorders etc.
via an ATARI ST4. I hope there will NEVER happen anything to it - it is
there only machine (I work with computers since 1977) I don't have a
clue off. But... knock-knock-knock ... I buyed it 1991, it's running
perfectly. I use Steinberg and Avalon (with a S772 Sampler) - it's
wonderful, no hangs, no nothing.

> I've been keeping an eye on the Amiga One's and Amiga OS 4.0, but can't see
> a real reason to buy one.

there ist no reason ! I had it running. It look somewhat more Motif like
but that's it. No significant changes.

Cheers
Ralf

Atro Tossavainen

May 12, 2006, 4:39:46 PM5/12/06
It seems I haven't been in much of a hurry about this thing...

Somewhere around Feb 2005, David Shaffer wrote:

> Sountrack can do ADAT I/O. There is a dialog somewhere (I don't recall
> off-hand) that allows you to select to use 8 channel input and output.

Like I said, I've seen the "Use 8 channel output" box. I still haven't
found the corresponding menu for input.

After I just upgraded from IRIX 6.5.25 to IRIX 6.5.29, each track in
Soundtrack now has an "Aux {None,Aux1,Aux2,...Aux8}" box next to the
"Input {None,Left,Right}". This is not documented in the online help.
What does it do? Is it any good for what I want?

Later, David Shaffer also wrote:

> One other thing that I remember is that I used the SGI clock. I set
> the MOTU unit to use the external clock (the SGI clock).

Connecting both cables and using the SGI as the clock master instead
of the AD/DA box acting as master was the trick to not having Soundtrack
freeze. Thank you. I guess this should have been obvious to me.

I still have to try out Ralf Gauglitz' suggestion about soloing all
tracks to be able to record from more than the left and right inputs
in Soundtrack. Getting an initial set of 8 tracks (such as drums)
down with mediarecorder is fine, and generally I guess I won't be
needing to add more than one or two tracks of {bass, guitar, vocals,
keys} at a time afterwards, but if I did need that, it would sure be
great if the software didn't place idiotic arbitrary limits on me in
this respect. Say, a second kit of drums layered on the first one. :-)

I am also looking for hints regarding how to do MIDI sequencing on the
SGI. I can't see any sequencing software included with IRIX, and I am
also wondering about whether it is possible to record midisynth(1)
output in Soundtrack in any way. I know I'll need an old style Mac-
compatible MIDI interface to connect input devices and sound modules
to the box. Will new software magically appear in IRIX if I do? :-)

arie van schutterhoef

May 21, 2006, 5:14:36 PM5/21/06
> Like I said, I've seen the "Use 8 channel output" box. I still haven't
> found the corresponding menu for input.
-You can record 8 inputs with ADAT in Mediarecorder and edit in
Soundtrack.

AvS

Atro Tossavainen

May 22, 2006, 7:50:37 AM5/22/06

Yes. Once. If you want to overdub more than 2 tracks at once, you're
screwed. The hardware would allow this, but the software has no concept
of it, it seems.